Neutral safety switch

1995 Mercury XRI 150, s/n OG228278.
    The past two days I have had issues on the water. Engine will start first bump of the key 90% of the time but every now and then I would get the warning beep and nothing. Played around with everything I could think of, finally I put it in gear and back to neutral and it fired right up.

Seems like I'm on the right track. Could I be missing anything else? Also where is the switch located and how hard is it to replace?

Thanks
    Jeremy

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Switch is located in the shift control box. Make sure it wasn't a one-time "not quite in the neutral position" before tearing into it, though.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Don,
    It has happened a handful of times, since it's so intermittent is it more likely to be this switch or the starter solenoid?
    Thanks

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    No more likely to be one or the other... just have to replicate the problem and chase down the circuit while it's acting up.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor