Lakes near St Louis

I have a cousin that lives in St Louis. What would be some lakes that are less than an hour away that has pretty good fishing that he could try?

2. Member
    Does he have a boat or fishing from shore?

A lot of lakes in the area have limited HP or no gas motors.

Fishing from shore - Busch Wildlife Area has something like 30 lakes and ponds!!

Unfortunately, the St Louis area is not really blessed with many good bass fishing opportunities within an hour away.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishinFamily View Post
    Does he have a boat or fishing from shore?

A lot of lakes in the area have limited HP or no gas motors.

Fishing from shore - Busch Wildlife Area has something like 30 lakes and ponds!!
    from the shore for now. He is looking at getting a boat. What are the hp limits?

I think at Busch Wildlife it is electric only and you can rent boats from them.
    My favorite color is clear.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sports1 View Post
    from the shore for now. He is looking at getting a boat. What are the hp limits?
    Busch Wildlife will be good - if he buys a trolling motor he can clamp it on one of their boats available for rent in certain lakes. Other smaller ponds you can just fish from shore. Creve Coeur and Simpson Lakes both have decent fishing but are electric only. In the IL side there a lot of lakes with HP limits ranging from electric only up to 50 hp I think.

7. Member
    Depending on how far you want to go, there's a couple decent lakes 45 mins to an hour north of 70 on 61

8. Member
    If you have an iPhone download the "find MO fish" app

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyNegus94 View Post
    Depending on how far you want to go, there's a couple decent lakes 45 mins to an hour north of 70 on 61
    What lakes are they?

10. Member
    If you have an iPhone download the "find MO fish" app
    Will let him know about it.

11. Member
    Whiteside and lake Lincoln. Both electric. And bowling green reservoir I think is idle speed only.

12. Member
    Whiteside and lake Lincoln. Both electric. And bowling green reservoir I think is idle speed only.
    BG is and has only been TM only... used to be a Great Lake before conservation took it over.. fished that lake for 15 years..
    lewisboat.com
    Omega Custom Tackle
    Lewis Pro Team
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite

For the record, simpson and creve coeur lakes are total ****holes.
    LET'S GO BLUES!!! WILL WE MAKE THE PLAYOFFS IN 2024?

Mississippi River

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin Dude 365 View Post
    For the record, simpson and creve coeur lakes are total ****holes.
    Yup! Used to be decent before the constant flooding...
    now simpson is a haven for paddle boarders, Yaks and Asian carp
    lewisboat.com
    Omega Custom Tackle
    Lewis Pro Team
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite

16. Member
    Why not try some SO Illinois Lakes. Coffeen Lake is awesome.. Ballwin lake is good from a boat. Jacksonville can be decent and good bank fishing. Springfield is OK, looks pretty but kindof sucks but does not suck nowhere as bad a Simpson or Creve Coeur. There is Spanish Lake, North Lake and Sunfish Lake in North County.

Quote Originally Posted by THKUSTOMS View Post
    Yup! Used to be decent before the constant flooding...
    now simpson is a haven for paddle boarders, Yaks and Asian carp
    I caught some decent fish, up to 5lbs out of Simpson but that's been 10 years ago. Figured the flooding has probably ruined that lake. The boat ramp there sucks badly too. Very shallow.

The best suggestions I can make and they are both an hour drive or a little more from St Louis are Perry County lake (idle speed only) down I-55 and Washington County Lake (10hp limit) out I-64 just south of Nashville, Illinois. Nashville city reservoir might also be worth a look.

18. Member
    [The best suggestions I can make and they are both an hour drive or a little more from St Louis are Perry County lake (idle speed only) down I-55 and Washington County Lake (10hp limit) out I-64 just south of Nashville, Illinois. Nashville city reservoir might also be worth a look.[/QUOTE]

I'd seriously like to chat with you. Lived here in Perryville for almost 20 years. First time I've ever heard someone suggesting it. You, sir, must be in the know on how to catch the 2+lbs. red ear. Don't want to pull your boat down...you can jump in mine anytime if you'll teach me! I've fished Southern IL since the day I moved to MO. Happy to live in Missouri, but glad I live 15 minutes from the Chester bridge.

OP...I'll second or third the Southern IL option. I lived in St. Louis for 4 years before moving down here. My choice has always been to cross the river to find good fishing.

19. Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..
    If you are shore fishing, I would definitely head to Illinois. There are 2 great strip pit areas within 1 hour of St.Louis >> Peabody wildlife Area just west of Waterloo IL.(20 miles?) and Pyramid Recreation Area just south of Pinckneyville IL. Both have a Bunch of Strip pits you can fish from shore- just find a baitshop before you get to the Pits. Crappies, Bass and big bluegills.