Gun purchasing ?

Have always wondered about the laws of purchasing a handgun out of state.

You have to pass a background check regardless, what's the difference between a background check performed in Texas vs Idaho? It should contain the same information .

Reason I say is I was recently at a BPS they had a handgun I wanted but by the time they shipped it to my lgs & paid the transfer fee it would have killed any savings vs buying local.

Looks like the NRA with all their millions could influence this type of policy.

I agree. You can generally find online dealers (budsgunshop.com for instance) that will ship to a local FFL, and can save you some money. I have purchased several this way. Or find a local dealer that will price match. Bought my last gun (Glock G40) from a local place here that matched the best online price I could find.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

3. Member
    I don it know why the law is the way it is. If you are an American you should be able to buy what you want in all 50 states.

4. Member
    I just bought a new Kimber Master Carry Ultra from EDC Alaska for approximately $300 cheaper than in the lower 48. He also sent the gun to my FFL before he had my check. Great customer service.
    Last edited by sawguy; 05-10-2017 at 10:44 AM.
    I've got money I haven't even spent yet!
    2011 Nitro Z8--200 pro xs

You guys are talking about federal regulations on buying firearms. In order for it to be the same everywhere it would take power from the states and place it with the federal gov't. BAD!!

6. Member
    State laws will alwasy trump federal, until a Federal law is passed to deem it Illegal. However, there is no way that you will wait for 4-5 hours while the store waits on ATF & Federal background check before you walk out the door for it.

Here in NE, you have either have a handgun purchase permit, or a CC permit. Both have already had the Sheriff do a Federal,State & County background check on you. You walk in, point @ what you want, hand over your ID & Permit, fill out form 4473, typically done electronically now, and I walk out after purchase.

Depending on how busy they are, I can usually be in & out in less than 30 minutes.

Tried that at a Big Box store ONCE......that was last time I did that there. Took them almost 2 hours for it to get done, and they only had maybe 5 people there at the time.

7. Member
    30 minutes? No way I would wait that long

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    30 minutes? No way I would wait that long
    Me either.....glad it's less than that most of the time.

9. Member
    Several years ago, the 1st time I bought a firearm after the background check I actually had to go back the next day before it was approved. Having bought a number of guns since then, I have always been approved while the gun shop was still on the phone with them. I thought maybe it was only when I bought from my regular gun shop. However, this year I have bought a couple of rifles from 2 other places, including 1 at a gun show, and it takes longer for me to fill out the form than it does to get approved. Would be a pain to have to wait any longer than 5-10 minutes from start to finish.

Question for you gentlemen...the wife and I are wanting to go to the big show in Tulsa within the next year or 2. If I buy a gun there, would I have to have it shipped back here to LA? Or how would it work? Does it depend on the state? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by preacher ed View Post
    Several years ago, the 1st time I bought a firearm after the background check I actually had to go back the next day before it was approved. Having bought a number of guns since then, I have always been approved while the gun shop was still on the phone with them. I thought maybe it was only when I bought from my regular gun shop. However, this year I have bought a couple of rifles from 2 other places, including 1 at a gun show, and it takes longer for me to fill out the form than it does to get approved. Would be a pain to have to wait any longer than 5-10 minutes from start to finish.

Question for you gentlemen...the wife and I are wanting to go to the big show in Tulsa within the next year or 2. If I buy a gun there, would I have to have it shipped back here to LA? Or how would it work? Does it depend on the state? Thanks!
    Yes, they would have to ship it to an FFL in your home state and you would pick it up from them.

11. Member
    yep....FFL to FFL if purchased in another state......only pay shipping & transfer fee's. If you have a guy locally that will do Multiple for one price.......good for you some are not so lucky.

Make sure the person you buy from will do that or is capable of doing so as well Before paying him. Hate for you to pay a "restock" fee w/o knowing 1st hand he can do it or not. Some of them are good at that.

12. Member
    Maybe state laws are different but in South Dakota it just has to end up at an FFL dealer, doesn't have to be shipped by one.
    I've got money I haven't even spent yet!
    2011 Nitro Z8--200 pro xs

13. Member
    Thanks, guys. I am pretty certain that my buddy who owns the pawn shop will do it for me no problem, especially as if/when I get to go I will be after a rifle or 2 that would be 50,000 to 1 odds that he will never get in at his shop. Even though, he has surprised me at a couple that he has gotten in that now reside at my house. But a couple that are on my bucket list might not make it there any other way but a big gun show. Thanks again! Eddie