250 SHO problems again?

A question for all the Yamaha mechanics. I was running my boat the other day when I noticed my rpm' started to drift down. Lost about 400rpm when I figured something just wasn't rite. I had no alarms or anything else. When I came off plane I looked back and noticed a cloud of white smoke so I killed the motor asap. After being pulled back to the launch I pulled the cover and I noticed oil had blown out the throttle body. The shop did a download, a compression check, and a leak down check. All this info has been sent to Yamaha and I'm waiting to hear back. The shop did say the motor was tight when they had to turn it for the leak down test.

Any thoughts? Thanks to all.

Quote Originally Posted by blownsho View Post
    A question for all the Yamaha mechanics. I was running my boat the other day when I noticed my rpm' started to drift down. Lost about 400rpm when I figured something just wasn't rite. I had no alarms or anything else. When I came off plane I looked back and noticed a cloud of white smoke so I killed the motor asap. After being pulled back to the launch I pulled the cover and I noticed oil had blown out the throttle body. The shop did a download, a compression check, and a leak down check. All this info has been sent to Yamaha and I'm waiting to hear back. The shop did say the motor was tight when they had to turn it for the leak down test.

Any thoughts? Thanks to all.
    I was idling when my "puff of smoke" happened, shut it down immediately, and after all of the testing/diagnosis, it was new powerhead time. Yamaha sent the fully dressed unit to my dealership and they had it back to me in 4 weeks. Not saying anything other than that smoke...it was clear as day something was wrong.

What year SHO? If it's an early one it will prob be replaced for free. You sure the oil came from the intake and not the upper crankshaft oil seal?

Sounds like the lower end overheated from lack of oil and started to weld itself together.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

4. Member
    No overheating as there was no temp alarm. Also the motor never sounded bad or gave any other indication other than a loss of power and the smoke. Oil was dead nuts on and in excellent shape. Powerhead has already been replaced so it is a 2016 powerhead with only 50hours on it. Oil came from the top of the throttle body wherethe screen is located. It blew the oil out and up all over the cowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by J Risco View Post
    What year SHO? If it's an early one it will prob be replaced for free. You sure the oil came from the intake and not the upper crankshaft oil seal?

Sounds like the lower end overheated from lack of oil and started to weld itself together.

5. Member
    Wondering the outcome of the sho. I have a 2012 that did the same thing last weekend. Has about 250 hrs on it. Any help would be great.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FrogNFlip View Post
    Wondering the outcome of the sho. I have a 2012 that did the same thing last weekend. Has about 250 hrs on it. Any help would be great.
    Went with a evinrude etec g2. Wasn't giving any more money to Yamaha

7. Member
    Had a 2011 SHO that dropped the thrust bearing in a similar sounding way as your motor. 5mo our of warranty and Yamaha said sorry for your luck. It was a shock, the marine repair center where I had my boat thought that Yamaha would
    cover it for sure. I was unlucky because I’ve heard that some people they covered and some they didn’t. Mine had 380 hrs on it. I had Hydrotech marine rebuild new an HPDI with a phase 2 kit and have been running it every since. Very happy with their motor. Just couldn’t stomach dropping 11k on a new power head and labor.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duckband417 View Post
    Had a 2011 SHO that dropped the thrust bearing in a similar sounding way as your motor. 5mo our of warranty and Yamaha said sorry for your luck. It was a shock, the marine repair center where I had my boat thought that Yamaha would
    cover it for sure. I was unlucky because I’ve heard that some people they covered and some they didn’t. Mine had 380 hrs on it. I had Hydrotech marine rebuild new an HPDI with a phase 2 kit and have been running it every since. Very happy with their motor. Just couldn’t stomach dropping 11k on a new power head and labor.
    I felt the same way. I was quoted 12k on new power head and 14k for new power head and replacement of some bearings or something not sure. Said they should replace while power head was off. 2020 evinrude etec g2 for me.

9. Member
    Sorry to hear guys. If anyone wants to part ways with their blown SHO please pm me.I have a burnt externally offshore 25" 250 that I want to change to 20"
    Last edited by Mr.Miyagi; 02-23-2020 at 06:13 AM.