thoughts/concerns with 1996 189 se javelin?

looking at purchasing a 189 javelin, after a cracked transom on my 1990 procraft found a boat nearby and will be looking at it this weekend or possibly monday. very clean with a 175 Johnson fast strike. the boat is a single console and my concern is the rod locker looks like it comes all the way back to passenger seat and i dont see a rod strap for co angler. anyone have this boat or fished out of one and how is the co angler rod situation. i hate to worry about how much room my co angler will have but after fishing tournaments for several years i know how that stuff is important throughout the fishing day. also it is a 19 foot boat with a 175 and a single axle trailor, has anyone come into any problems with trailor, was thinking of adding trailor brakes or tounge brake. thank you for reading, wanted to know everyone's likes/dislikes on the boat. 1996 javelin 389
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    I had installed a rod strap onto the Rod box for a co angler on my 400

I pull a 20' on single axel, it's not as smooth as a dual but it does the job. Before this boat I pulled a Stratos 201P on a single axel.
    The 175 will be fine on that boat and it looks to be kept in good shape.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

4. Member
    The seats are pretty close together....will be easier for you and your co-angler to hold hands during long rides.

1999 Stratos 273 / '98 Johnson 150hp

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StarcraftSS View Post
    The seats are pretty close together....will be easier for you and your co-angler to hold hands during long rides.

haha good point!

6. Banned
    The 389 is a great platform, and it sure looks great from the pics. One of the best Javelin boats made. You'll be happy with it for sure.

Check it thoroughly and run it before buying.

7. Member
    thanks for info. i checked it very thoroughly tonight and am doing a test run on tuesday night.

8. Member
    This the same setup I have. I installed a rod strap on the rear deck to where the butt of the poles are against the transom and the tips hang over the rod locker. Also, storing rods on the right side of the front deck can be troublesome as only short rods (6'6") will lay flat. My 7'6" poles lay up over the switch panel up front. Other than that, these are solid boats with big livewells. I would expect lower to mid 60s with that motor setup depending on prop. Faster with a jackplate. Looks like a very clean boat! These trailers also typically come with surge brakes. You'll also have to learn to load and unload with the swinging bow stop arm.

9. Member
    good information wyatt thank you. the first thing i plan on doing is replace the tires on trailor and put new bearings on it. will also order two rod straps and most likely put them where you mentioned, the one on the right of the deck would be good for my net atleast. ill have to get this one setup correctly as well, the current owner told me it chime walks at 59-60 mph right now with plenty of pedal left. it has a 6 inch jackplate and i will adjust and mess with prop. if you have a 175 johnson fast strike what was the best prop for it and the best p2p height. thanks again wyatt for all the info.

10. Member
    also what would be agood price for this boat. this one is very clean has hydraulic steering, surge brakes, newer 70 pound minn kota, a lowrance fish finder. keel guard. he is firm on 7,000. i think mainly becasue he just dumped a bit of money into the engine replacing powerpack, carbs, stator and gas line. very clean boat and i still may try to talk him down a hair but is this a fair price for this biat in good/great condition?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by procraft1990 View Post
    also what would be agood price for this boat. this one is very clean has hydraulic steering, surge brakes, newer 70 pound minn kota, a lowrance fish finder. keel guard. he is firm on 7,000. i think mainly becasue he just dumped a bit of money into the engine replacing powerpack, carbs, stator and gas line. very clean boat and i still may try to talk him down a hair but is this a fair price for this biat in good/great condition?
    All depends on what similar boats sell for in your area....and...whether you like the boat is worth $7k dollars of your money. In my area...the motor alone is probably worth $3500.
    How long has it been for sale?

The one thing I would tell you though....is that warm weather is here...and it's a seller's market. If you like it.....Don't drag your heels and end up losing the boat over a few hundred bucks. If you and the seller are $1k or more apart....then probably time to look elsewhere.
    1999 Stratos 273 / '98 Johnson 150hp

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by procraft1990 View Post
    good information wyatt thank you. the first thing i plan on doing is replace the tires on trailor and put new bearings on it. will also order two rod straps and most likely put them where you mentioned, the one on the right of the deck would be good for my net atleast. ill have to get this one setup correctly as well, the current owner told me it chime walks at 59-60 mph right now with plenty of pedal left. it has a 6 inch jackplate and i will adjust and mess with prop. if you have a 175 johnson fast strike what was the best prop for it and the best p2p height. thanks again wyatt for all the info.
    I have the same setup except I have a holeshot plate on mine. I'm still messing with p2p myself. 3 1/4 to 3 1/2 inches is recommended for this setup but I have terrible prop blowout at that height and when I could get on plane, I have a 15ft rooster tail. I believe I'm roughly around 4 1/4 right now and its fine riding solo. Add my partner and I still have slight blowout if not careful. I'm running a 24 raker. Mine begins to chine around 65 mph.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    I have the same setup except I have a holeshot plate on mine. I'm still messing with p2p myself. 3 1/4 to 3 1/2 inches is recommended for this setup but I have terrible prop blowout at that height and when I could get on plane, I have a 15ft rooster tail. I believe I'm roughly around 4 1/4 right now and its fine riding solo. Add my partner and I still have slight blowout if not careful. I'm running a 24 raker. Mine begins to chine around 65 mph.

I have a 6 inch plate on my boat if that's what you are referring to as a "hole shot plate". I am running 64 right now with a partner. I have a raker 24 p prop. In running at 4 inches p2p right now. Was thinking of raising engine up a half inch.
    Last edited by procraft1990; 06-16-2017 at 04:07 PM.

14. Member
    A hole shot plate mounts to the bottom of the jackplate and prevents that gush of water through the jackplate when you put the throttle down. My 24 raker is out getting reworked right now and i plan to lower the motor to 4 1/2 p2p and see how she goes. Ive had it gps'd at 65.13mph in slight chop but backed off due to chining. Once the prop is back, im expecting 68 to 69mph on glass to slight ripple. Ill report back with my findings.

15. Member
    Installing rod straps is easy and cheap. I wouldn't let that sway your decision o a good deal. Also, my last boat was a 1994 Astro 20FDX. It was set up the same way. The rod locker connected the front and rear decks going beside the passenger. I loved it and miss it. Its great when you transition from front to rear. You don't have to make that awkward step down then back up. Another added benefit is when you fish alone, you can lay your rods out on the locker and free up space for you on the front deck.
    Matthew 4:19 - "Come, follow Me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."

16. Member
    alright guys, i bought the boat over a month ago. i love my javelin so far. although im not geting the speeds that some like wyatt report. i am currently running a 24 raker and the best i have seen with a buddy and 1/4 tank of gas was 63.8, but i mainly stay around 59-62 with a passenger and the boat loaded down. i have a 6 inch jackplate and have messed with p2p a bit. at first when i saw 63.8 i was 4 inches under. i moved my engine up 1/2 an inch since then and haven't seen better then 62. the first time i took the boat out was the only time ive had it chime walking and assume thats becasue i had no rods or tackle or anything in the boat and it was just me in the boat making it a light load. i have also noticed i could use more lift on my boat at WOT. i know the raker is a good prop for lift but i could use a bit more, i think all my tackle in the front is making that front end stick. anyhow i am thinking of sending one of my 24 rakers to mark to have one of the ears fixed and add more lift to it. been very pleased and happy with boat, would love to be 63-65 tourney loaded with a full tank of gas and livewells. still messing with everything.

Whats your RPM's and WP at WOT?
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

18. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Your 389 and my R19 are the exact same hull. Mid to late 90's 389 has different deck layout than the Renegade 1999-2001 models. In 1999 when they redesigned the deck layout they also re-named the boat Renegade 19. As previously said the 389 and R19 have the same hull. 2001 was the last year of that particular hull design to be in production. In 2002 OMC filed bankruptcy and the Javelin line was dissolved but the Stratos line lived. Numbers wise you are pretty much spot on to mine. You have a 175 and I have a 150HO. The HO is suppose to push the 10% rule so its closer to 165 horsepower. I have seen 64.94 light and perfect conditions. That was a one time only speed that I have never duplicated. Normal light load load is closer to 63 and normal load is closer 61-62 with heavy load being close to 59-60. I do have two talons so I am sure that hurts me for 1-2 mph or so. Both mounting brackets and both Talons add about 125 lbs bolted to my jackplate plus the added wind drag. I really do not know how much speed they cost because when I hung both Talons I also hung a new motor. I have never ran my E-TECH without the Talons. When I had the 150 Ficht my fastest GPS was 62.8 I was 60-61 medium/light load and 58-59 loaded heavy.

I would send your prop to Mark Croxton and have him do a repair. He calls it a repair but its actually a refurbished. He will put all blades into factory specs. I have a Raker that he refurbished/repaired. It ran great after I got it back. I only put about 30 hours on the prop and I repowered my boat from a Ficht to an E-TECH. With my E-TECH I got a 24 Raker II. I also bought a used 24 Raker II here on BBC for a good price so I have 3 Raker props (1 raker and 2 raker II's). Currently I have my Raker for sale and use one of my Raker II's on the boat and use the other as a spare. There is nothing wrong with my Raker. You can run a Raker on a E-TECH but over a period of time the pressed in rubber hub will deteriorate because of the extreme high exhaust temperatures of an E-TECH. As for a carburetor motor like your fast Strike the rubber hub on a Raker is not an issue. Of the three props I own all three are within 1 mph of each other. My top speed of 64.94 was with my Raker. Even though it was faster by about 1 mph I still choose the Raker II because the Raker II hub system was designed to get heat away from the hub faster.

I see where you are in Louisville. If you are ever in south central Ky Green River Lake area let me know. You can try my Raker and my spare Raker II. My Raker II is not for sale but you can still give it a spin to see how it performs. I do not have possession of my Raker but if you give me some notice I can get it. It's currently at a guy I know who owns a bait/tackle/country store. I have it on a shelf in his tackle section with a for sale sign.

Long story short your number are about spot on. I would have Mark refurbish your prop and see what happens...just remember we are getting ready to enter the "heat" of summer so doing speed trail runs will be slower than cooler air and water temps.