Thread: Bass season

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bass season

Am i reading this wrong? I see the northern zone (which includes sturgeon bay)has c&r only until the 3rd week in june on smallmouth. Yet the sbobt is usually in late may. How can you have a tourny during c&r only. Could someone explain to me what i am missing here?
    Pool 10

2. Member
    I'd have to check the reg book but it may not be considered part of the northern zone, Lake Michigan and Green Bay have separate regs from the rest of the state.

3. Member
    Pages 70-72 of the reg book shows bass in Green Bay, Lake Michigan and tributaries open May 6th like the southern zone. Separate regs from statewide.

4. Member

5. Member
    And page 10 shows door county in the northern zone.
    Clear as mud!
    Pool 10

6. Member
    I thought the same thing ,I talked with a conservation officer up there once and sturgeon bay is not considered north zone it's separate from Green Bay and Lake Michigan, I thought the same thing when I read it in the book

7. Member
    Well i wish they would make it the northern zone. Makes me sick to see all of the bass being harvested. Especially guys in bass boats who should know better.
    Pool 10

All these zones and opening day stuff are all crap! Just be like the rest of the civilized world and have a year round catch and release season. If the meat hunters had that big of a impact on the bass our populations wouldn't be growing as a whole state wide like it is.

9. Member
    I thought just Washington island was in the north zone..

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Boy View Post
    All these zones and opening day stuff are all crap! Just be like the rest of the civilized world and have a year round catch and release season. If the meat hunters had that big of a impact on the bass our populations wouldn't be growing as a whole state wide like it is.
    +1
    Jimmy Young

2021 Nitro Z19
    Mercury 200 ProXS
    Atlas 10" Hydraulic Jackplate
    Humminbird HELIX 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    Humminbird
    HELIX 8 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G3N
    Humminbird HELIX 12
    CHIRP MEGA DI+ GPS G4N at bow
    Humminbird HELIX 8 CHIRP MEGA DI GPS G3N CHO at bow
    Humminbird MEGA 360
    Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link
    Dual Power Pole Blades

11. Member

+10000000000000

The meat hunters, I like to call them "bucket people", have a way bigger effect on panfish and walleye populations than on bass. For the most part, the closed season, at least for bass, make no sense, biologically speaking. Sure aren't protecting spawners, the opener is tomorrow and we are quite a ways away from the spawn, for bass anyway. Unless we get a big warm up, the northern zone will probably be in the middle of the spawn when the c&r season ends and harvest season begins.

I spoke with a DNR biologist years ago about the closed season and was told it was more about "tradition" than anything else. No closed season on the Mississippi, Wisconsin and other rivers has never had a negative effect on the bass or 'eyes in my view.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mc Gregor View Post
    And page 10 shows door county in the northern zone.
    Clear as mud!
    Yep, Door County is. However, Sturgeon Bay is considered part of Green Bay/Lake Michigan, different regs, just like most of the rivers and waters bordering a different state.

13. Member
    Totally agree with this! I mean I drive 10 hrs to fish sturgeon bay for a week every spring but I'm not there to put a knife to 5-6 lb smallies, if I want fish to eat I'll go catch some crappie at home.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jatkins1981 View Post
    Totally agree with this! I mean I drive 10 hrs to fish sturgeon bay for a week every spring but I'm not there to put a knife to 5-6 lb smallies, if I want fish to eat I'll go catch some crappie at home.

AMEN brother!

15. Member
    Don't get me started. I can't stand waiting till May to fish. It is so stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by sayner View Post
    +10000000000000

The meat hunters, I like to call them "bucket people", have a way bigger effect on panfish and walleye populations than on bass. For the most part, the closed season, at least for bass, make no sense, biologically speaking. Sure aren't protecting spawners, the opener is tomorrow and we are quite a ways away from the spawn, for bass anyway. Unless we get a big warm up, the northern zone will probably be in the middle of the spawn when the c&r season ends and harvest season begins.

I spoke with a DNR biologist years ago about the closed season and was told it was more about "tradition" than anything else. No closed season on the Mississippi, Wisconsin and other rivers has never had a negative effect on the bass or 'eyes in my view.
    I've been told twice by 2 different wardens that it is mostly because of tradition like you said. That is ridiculous!

This year I did notice more fish refuge signs being put up which to me seems like a possible sign that a catch and release season is on its way. Reason I say that is because the only species of game fish that really need protection are eyes and esox which spawn in very obvious places and most places where the spots aren't as obvious or avoidable already have lax game fish laws such as bago system and Wisconsin river system.

Just a observation

17. Member
    I've been told twice by 2 different wardens that it is mostly because of tradition like you said. That is ridiculous!

This year I did notice more fish refuge signs being put up which to me seems like a possible sign that a catch and release season is on its way. Reason I say that is because the only species of game fish that really need protection are eyes and esox which spawn in very obvious places and most places where the spots aren't as obvious or avoidable already have lax game fish laws such as bago system and Wisconsin river system.

Just a observation

I have a very reliable source (works directly with Director of fisheries) that this will happen sometime soon but there is still lost of work to do and lots of political BS to jump through to get it changed (surprised?). The C&R season is definitely being pushed by the fisheries dept.

Quote Originally Posted by KnightWKNF View Post
    I have a very reliable source (works directly with Director of fisheries) that this will happen sometime soon but there is still lost of work to do and lots of political BS to jump through to get it changed (surprised?). The C&R season is definitely being pushed by the fisheries dept.
    That's what I like to hear!!!

March and April general inland paper tournaments?

20. Member
    I'm sure that douche walker can accomplish this even though he turned down catch n release last year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast