False No Oil Alarm Going Off

I have a 2015 250 Etec with 200 hrs, and recently the "No Oil" alarm has been going off while it still has plenty of oil. When the alarm goes off, nothing else happens. I am not put into guardian mode, and there is apparently no record of the alarm according to my dealer. We have already replaced the gauge at the console throwing the alarm but it still happens randomly, but most often when I am trimmed up turning 5900 RPM. To be clear, it happens most often when I'm running 65+, but I have seen it happen running 40 as well.

Any ideas whats going on?

I hate not knowing if I actually have a real alarm I need to address or not.

Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    Not specific to your motor but I know some oil tanks had an issue with the level sensing magnet coming off of the foam float in the tank. I repaired mine and have had no issues since.

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TrackerPro16 View Post
    Not specific to your motor but I know some oil tanks had an issue with the level sensing magnet coming off of the foam float in the tank. I repaired mine and have had no issues since.
    An oil tank sensor would not give a no oil alarm it would give a low oil alarm.

Your dealer should be performing test on the oil pump, or at the least run the boat with the laptop connected and monitoring the motor.

Have your dealer prime and purge the oil pump and sensor per the updated instructions in service bulletin 2016-04 (S ) dated last June.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrackerPro16 View Post
    What is the difference in the sound? Mine was a steady horn going off. I am wondering if he may be talking about the same thing?

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    He is probably getting the NO OIL LED lit up on his system check gauge or tach or ICON gauge. Beeps are different for No oil and low oil, a solid beep is either a Check Engine or Overtemp with Overtemp sending the motor into SAFE mode.

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Horn sounds continuously and engine WILL NOT exceed 2,500-RPM
    Engine overheat Reduce engine to IDLE speed and return shift handle to NEUTRAL position
    Horn sounds rapid, short tones that vary with engine speed No oil flow from pump STOP engine or limit engine speed to a
    maxumum of 1,500-RPM
    Horn sounds one short tone every 20 seconds Low oil level in oil tank Refill oil tank
    Horn sounds continuously at or near full throttle, but engine speed is not affected Fuel restriction Reduce engine to IDLE speed

Those listed sound patterns are only for 1995 and earlier engines without the SystemCheck warning and the 4-LEDs.

Newer motors with SystemCheck illuminate one of the LEDs to alert the operator what is wrong plus the horn activates a steady tone for about 10 seconds.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

9. Member
    ChampioNman is correct: I am seeing it on my led panel.

It was happening more frequently this past weekend, especially when I was trimming up while running fast, or getting on pad. Seems like it happens when the boat is leaning backward. The other thing I noticed was that it seemed to be running rich. I was seeing some smoke, which I am not used to seeing very often.

Took it to an Evinrude dealer who once again saw nothing on the computer as far as thrown codes.

Also talked to my dealer and they noted that they did prime and purge as you suggested seahorse. I guess the next step it to run the laptop on the water with my boat?

10. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Yes.

11. Member
    Wfb0002 did you ever find the cause? Having the same issue.

12. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MI_ProStar21XL View Post
    Wfb0002 did you ever find the cause? Having the same issue.
    Not my concern, but I would think you would have a better chance of response from Wfb0002 if you PMed him. He probably does not revisit 2-year-old threads very often, and from looking at his profile I see he also does not post very often, so he very well might not see what you’ve asked. Just a thought.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    Not my concern, but I would think you would have a better chance of response from Wfb0002 if you PMed him. He probably does not revisit 2-year-old threads very often, and from looking at his profile I see he also does not post very often, so he very well might not see what you’ve asked. Just a thought.
    He did PM me, but I will go ahead and post the result here as well:

They replaced the gauge again and the issue went away.