Drop shotting for early season crappie

So I've been doing some reading lately and come across some folks who swear by drop shotting for early season (pre-spawn and spawning) crappies. Now I'm far from what anyone would call a crappie fisherman and I only do it during the pre-spawn and spawn - partially because I'm bass fishing otherwise and partially because I can't find the crappies after they spawn until the ice is on - but I've always done pretty well with plastics on a light jig head under a slip float. I suppose I considered a drop shot for them, then figured that it'd be best when fishing for them deep, either before or after the spawn season.

We are squarely in the pre-spawn period right now in MN with the spawn most likely rolling into the Twin Cities Metro area in the next week or two based on weather forecasts. What, if anything, am I missing out on not trying to drop shot for them? Is it worth trying? What tips or suggestions do you guys have for me?
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Never have tried it, I caught one crappie last year on a drop shot while bass fishing. I guess it would work if you found them suspended deep and used minnows, or small crappie plastics. I have drop shotted for bream and done well.

I do it once in a while if the fish are in tight to heavy brush or snaggy type stuff. Vertical fishing with a split shot maybe 6-12" under a jig. I feel the shot start hitting the junk and don't let it sink farther into it. Saves me a few jigs and re-tying time. Most of the time I get away with those small Thill floats with a spring on the bottom to hold it in place for jigs if they're in 4' or less. I don't use minnows often, but I do the slip float thing with them.

4. Member
    Well to update on your post. This weekend I spent some time crappie fishing because the bass would not cooperate. It was obviously past spawn time for them bUT I tried drop shorting them along weed lines close to deep water. It was an absolute smash fest. I used a bps crappie jig and about a foot leader. As they were suspended about a foot. Just pounded them. I trolled along the edge and when I saw fish on the graph I just dropped to them and pow.
    So yes I guess it can be done......

Quote Originally Posted by A Wood View Post
    Well to update on your post. This weekend I spent some time crappie fishing because the bass would not cooperate. It was obviously past spawn time for them bUT I tried drop shorting them along weed lines close to deep water. It was an absolute smash fest. I used a bps crappie jig and about a foot leader. As they were suspended about a foot. Just pounded them. I trolled along the edge and when I saw fish on the graph I just dropped to them and pow.
    So yes I guess it can be done......

6. Member
    I do a lot of drop shoting for pan fish. When they are biting sometimes it does not even touch bottom before they hit it. Fills the freezer for the winter for those yummy perch taco's.

Just now seeing this. That's awesome!

I suspect I won't have a chance to do fish for crappies again until the dog days are in full swing (and then I can't find the damn things....), but that's great that it worked for you!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34