Talon noise as spike hits bottom?

I have a brand-new 12 foot Talon on my boat, been out a couple times so far. The last time out, several times when I anchored in one spot it deployed normally but as it hits bottom it made a much louder, higher pitched noise combined with a bit of a squeak. This lasts for maybe 1-ish second until it's fully deployed. It almost sounded to me like the engine inside was making the excessive noise during the process of driving the spike into the bottom. I have read all the threads about lubricating talons, and this does not sound like the kind of sound that would be solved by lubricating parts rubbing against each other.

Any ideas what this is? I have not tried the different modes, is this an issue of a hard bottom mode on a soft bottom, or vice versa? I was in the standard mode, and was in an area of mixed sand, mud and rock bottom. The next day it did not do this.
    Last edited by MacIntosh; 05-04-2017 at 06:12 AM.

If your in 20' of water and deploy what happens?

3. Member
    Since there's no response maybe I should
    Clarify what I'm asking.

For those of you with a talon or familiar with them:

Is this normal?

If no, have you seen or heard of it before, and what caused it?

When in highly mixed bottom areas (bedrock right next to mud right next to sand) what "mode" do you run your talons in?

If you're in the wrong "mode" is it going to damage anything?

Thanks in advance!

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    That day I did deploy in 13 feet of water once--it went all the way down with no noise.

I used normal more for everything, until proven for each specific spot on a lake / weather conditions. If the 4' of spike all goes into mud then soft bottom, if your blowing off in heavy wind, rough water mode. As far as the noise without hearing it I can't give any good ideas other than if it's a hard/rocky bottom they can be very loud if you are moving at all. Ways to reduce this is to stop all movement at the moment the spike hits bottom.

6. Member
    I have two 12's and I can say when fishing a natural lake with lots of rock you get some noises that make you cringe at times. Mostly just dragging and snagging when it cant penetrate. When I only had one it was much worse. You'll get used to it with the peace of mind of a 5 year warranty that MK honors. Really can't beat it. I use standard mode 90% of the time. Only in real windy conditions will you take advantage of rough water mode. If you idle around in real deep water fully deployed it does a nice job of keeping them clean.

7. HYDRA SPORT LS205 225HO JER-1 BIG BASS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    washes the dirt and mud off pole, I idle slowly around cleans them up

8. Member
    I use normal almost all the time unless the waves are so bad that it is lifting the boat and letting it slip then I'll hit rough.

As far as your wrong mode question - The only thing that would concern me is if I was on a very soft bottom because I hear you can really drive the poles deep into it and it is hard to get them out. I've never experience that. As far as can you use rough mode and hurt it, no not really. It is just going to drive it down wait a few seconds and drive it more. I don't think the force of the drive changes. It only tries to recontact the bottom to compensate for the waves. You'll know if you need it because you'll slowly creep forward in the waves. I only have one pole and it's no issue.

9. Member
    I have twin Talons and have had mine screech when deployed. I believe this was caused by mud/sand inside the talon as it went back up. I have tilt brackets, so at home I tilted them forward and deployed the talons, cleaned them with a brush and soapy water and lubricated them with silicone lube. I have not had the problem again!