Thread: Detwiler Issue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bullet/Reels4Sale/Rods4Sale Moderator jayfaro's Avatar

Detwiler Issue

Trying to diagnose the issue before buying a different plate

Jay

I currently have the Ex-Zact dial. i almost think the issue is in the dial as there will be sporadic movement. When it does move, it sounds strong so my pea brain thinks it could be in the dial...maybe a corrosion issue? i dont know...unfortunately, my 7 year old has more mechanical awareness than i do!
    Last edited by jayfaro; 05-04-2017 at 01:56 PM.
    Jay Faro
    Bullet 21xdc/300xs

Those dials are a pos. Get another blinker trim switch on the opposite side of your trim and be done with it. Itll run forever then

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

3. Bullet/Reels4Sale/Rods4Sale Moderator jayfaro's Avatar
    Alli, how difficult is it to bypass the dial and bring it to the helm? As i said,i am an idiot when it comes to repairs...also, is there a specific part number for the port side? Are they all interchangeable? My biggest concern is getting to the wires on the back of the dial... Also since i wont have a gauge for the plate, whats the best way to tell where the plate is? unfortunately, i need to find out if the plate is bad or the stupid dial.

does anyone know if that dial will slide out? Whats the best way to get to the connections? I cant even get my arm in so i'm hopeful that there's a way to get the dial out.
    Jay Faro
    Bullet 21xdc/300xs

They put it in there so its not going to be an issue to remove it or it wouldnt be where its at. The trim switches are the same just bolted on the other side upside down. They come with both stickers for left or right install. Youll have to check on the stroker board to see if you need a whole relay harness or if you already have it with the dial. Run it over to that new bullet dealer itll be simple to see what it needs if theyre actually looking at it. Those jackplates are very reliable but i know over the years theres been tons of issues with the dial. You dont need a gauge if the boat is leaning one way you need trim and the other way you need jackplate. One trip out and youll have that down.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

5. Bullet/Reels4Sale/Rods4Sale Moderator jayfaro's Avatar
    Alli thanks for the info. Does anyone know if the dial can be removed from the front? Or do you need to get in behind it.
    Jay Faro
    Bullet 21xdc/300xs

Clark will know, he is currently removing his dial for a trim style switch as well.

7. Clark arrowood
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet3119 View Post
    Clark will know, he is currently removing his dial for a trim style switch as well.
    I can't tell you yet give me a little bit I'm gonna dive into mine tonight and find out I'll keep you posted

8. Member
    They are really not hard to repair , check the exact o dial module under the dash and let me know what color the led is and if it's lit (turn power switch on) and definitely you can run a trim style lever if you want , also check for power at the relay pack in the battery area.
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO

9. Member
    I have one
    you can text me
    225-405-8881

10. BBC SPONSOR
    The dials were junk and very unreliable. Ditch it for the dual blinker and never look back!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00VW...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

11. Bullet/Reels4Sale/Rods4Sale Moderator jayfaro's Avatar
    Tim
    If I've already got one blinker on the helm for the trim can I add a second for the plate or do I need to order the dual system like you posted? Thanks so much for everyone's advice.

Al I will check the LED tomorrow and will let you know. Thanks again
    Jay Faro
    Bullet 21xdc/300xs

12. Clark arrowood
    Easy to remove just take the set screw out slide the knob off. Loosen the nut on the front and take it off then slide it out the back

13. Bullet/Reels4Sale/Rods4Sale Moderator jayfaro's Avatar
    Clark, where is the set screw? I don't even see a screw on the dial...the prior owner mounted the dial on the right side gunwale near the shifter so I cant see any screw or any LED...i'll look again tonight when it gets dark to see if I can see any LED's come on. Thanks gang
    Jay Faro
    Bullet 21xdc/300xs

14. Member
    If you do decide to go with a static what would you want for the hydraulic.

Steven Eversole, KY
    BLAZER 202 PRO V / MARINER 225 SUPER MAG

15. Bullet/Reels4Sale/Rods4Sale Moderator jayfaro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ky Bullet View Post
    If you do decide to go with a static what would you want for the hydraulic.
    No idea...I would need to make sure its not the plate itself that is broke. From the intermittent movement, I am thinking its the switch...wont be able to get into it till at least next week unfortunately. if the plate is ok, then I'm probably going to just move the switch to the blinker style
    Jay Faro
    Bullet 21xdc/300xs

16. Member
    There is gauges i know on the strokers they use the blinker with some other gauge on some of them i cant remember the name of them ask this question over there you'll get the answer and what your looking for..

17. Member
    Jay you do not have to remove the dial to test it , when you can climb under the dash look at the module it is around 6" long rectangle shape black in color , when it is getting power it will have a flashing green led , to test the dial when looking at the module turn the dial one way if the dial is working a red led will light , turn it the other way a different red led will light , if no leds at all check the inline fuse or if all the leds do light the problem will most likely be in the rear , check the power connection and breaker at the relays , if you do all that I can give you more info ... also
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO

18. Clark arrowood
    It won't let me up load picture for some reason. It's on the bottom turn the knob all the way to 1 it will be facing up or mine was... Take a little flat head screwdriver and loosen it

19. BBC SPONSOR
    It sounds like your module will be back behind the switch panel since your dial is mounted on the gunwale. There should also be a small set screw in the knob like Clark said. I am betting your module and/or dial is bad.

Also do what Al is saying to check the module/dial. You don't have to remove the dial, you just need to find the module.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

20. Bullet/Reels4Sale/Rods4Sale Moderator jayfaro's Avatar
    Ok...found the module...i had my wife squeeze in under the console.

She found the module and when i turned the power on, it blinked red and green and then settled on solid red as seen in the pic. When i turned the dial, two different red lights lit (one you can see in the pic and then one hiding behind the green wire). Unfortunately, because the plate barely moved, the main light turned back on and again was solid red. It unfortunately never blinked green...always red and green and then sold red.

Regarding the dial, will the set screw be on the outside? I dont see a screw. I attached a pic below...was the screw on the outside? I bet you guy thought "NOOOO, he cant be that unmechanically inclined"...and now youre saying "holy snikies, this guy is a danger with any type of tool in his hand!". A buddy asked me where i thought the problem was. I told him i diagnosed the problem to be between the trailer tongue and lower unit. He said, "so you have it pinpointed!"

When you turn the dial, the plate will move slightly up or down and i think it's trying to get caught up to where it should be on the dial but just won't move fully. i dont think it's in the detwiler itself but what the heck do i know.
    Detwiler Box.JPG
    Detwiler Dial.jpg
    Last edited by jayfaro; 05-04-2017 at 01:57 PM.
    Jay Faro
    Bullet 21xdc/300xs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast