Bunk Cover Confusion

I'm not usually that easy to confuse but I am now. Looking for new covers for boat bunks. Gaterbacks sound good but do not recommend "power" loading. Caliber seem to be similar stuff(much less cost) but advertise how easy "power" loading will be, in fact be careful at first. Why are they different and do you guys favor one over the other? Thanks!
    Last edited by blll; 05-03-2017 at 05:31 PM.

2. Member
    Get a PVC 4x4 post sleeve, rip it in half. Put it over the bunk boards. Let's the boards dry out. I did this on my tin.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skunked again View Post
    Get a PVC 4x4 post sleeve, rip it in half. Put it over the bunk boards. Let's the boards dry out. I did this on my tin.
    Interesting! Do you get any rub off the PVC? I wonder if PVC will rub on gelcoat?

4. Member
    Not that I've noticed. Haven't lifted the boat off the trailer to inspect bottom.
    No issues with it being too slick either. Can back down the ramp without boat sliding off the trailer.

5. Banned
    These work good and cheap too. I did 36' of bunk for under 60 bucks

6. mikesxpress
    Caliber is not for use on fiberglass hulls. Search for threads on here..........

7. Member
    I have the caliber and will not change them out, I don't power load ad have no problem with scratching..

From Caliber:

NOTE: If you are concerned about Scratching your Gel Coat Hull, DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT

MARINE TRAILER ACCESSORIES QUESTIONS

Q. Will Marine Slides scratch my hull?
    A. After extensive testing of all brands of marine slides we have found that all slides will, under some conditions, scratch your Boat/Watercraft hull. This usually occurs when the slides or hull is dirty or sandy.

It is a common misconception that carpet (used on most trailer bunks) will not scratch your boat. Carpet in-fact will scratch your boat with fine sand particles that are embedded in the carpet. Carpet is however good at dispersing gel-coated material (widely used to manufacture boat hulls) so the owner does not see that his carpet is in fact harming his/her hull. Conversely, Marine Slides will show signs of material being deposited on them from your hull.
    Last edited by 6BOOMER; 05-04-2017 at 11:14 AM. Reason: spell

8. Member
    I had two reasons for using what I did. Actually three.
    1. Having an aluminum boat, wanted complete blockage from the treated wood. Supposedly they changed formulas, and it's ok now.
    2. Wanted the boards to dry out quicker, and last longer. The pvc will not hold water like carpet. And the bottom is open, which you can do with carpet also.
    3. $$$. The PVC was cheap.
    I found a few website s where this has been, with no Ill effects.

9. mikesxpress
    We have beat this bunk thing to death.....

10. mikesxpress
    Caliber is not for fiberglass boats. It's printed right on the box.
    Attachment 273773

11. Member
    Caliber is just an honest company and admits it will scratch a boat unlike Gatorbak who is in denial. Seriously if dirt and debri get on either it will scratch your boat. Caliber admits this and Gatorbak skates around the issue.

12. mikesxpress
    No where on the Caliber website does it tell you the product is intended for use on fiberglass hulls. If you zoom way in on the picture of the consumer available box it says intended for use on aluminum boats. The average person would not be aware of this until the product arrived at your door. I call that deceptive at best.
    If you use a clean lint free cloth and apply/remove wax to the hood of your truck it shines and you have added a layer of protection. Do the same thing after you have dropped the cloth in the dirt/sand now you have scratches. No different than with anything that contacts a fiberglass hull. Including carpet. Pretty simple. Keep your boat hull/bunks clean.

13. Member
    Lots of threads, like Mike said. I went with GatorBak. Trailer looks good. I power load my aluminum. I didn't want to fool with carpet. Cut GatorBak to length and screw. Pretty simple.
    William "Bill" Kyte
    Waldorf, MD
    2018 Shenadoah Kerr lake BFL Co-angler Champion

2020 Ranger 520L Evinrude G2 250HO

14. Member
    Mike has said it many times on here and he is totally correct! Protect your investment! When you get your trailer at the end of the day before loading just wipe the gatorbak bunks down quickly. You wont have an issue. The main purpose for these bunks is to prevent hull blisters so its all preventative maintenance (wiping down bunks and keeping them clean, waxing boat, tire pressure, brakes and trailer lights etc..) Gatorbak is a great product just take care of all aspects of your boat and it will take care of you.

15. Member
    I had Gatorbaks installed by dealer in Cincinnati on my Sterling last year he installed new treated bunks, hardware and gatorbaks while I waited. Reasonable price and very happy with results.