Cutting in Trolling motor tray......

I am getting ready to install a Comfort Troll tray in the front deck of my 1997 202.
    Has anyone else done this in their 202? or similar install?
    Anything I should know? or look out for?
    Your help greatly appreciated......

3. Member
    I just did mine last week in my 203.

4. Scraps
    I made a template out of plywood for the hole. Then I just plunge cut using a circular saw set to depth and finished the corners off with a sawzall.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

5. Member
    Put down 2" masking tape on the deck with your tray upside down on it. Trace the perimeter, then measure the lip and mark another line on the inside of the original trace, (usually it's about 1/2" inside the original line). This should give you the area to cut. Measure several times and cut once.
    Champion 206
    250XB

6. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    I did this... but haven't put tray in yet...I read somewhere on here that a guy took his phone and reached in front hole where fish finder is/was, and recorded what it looks like in there.
    It worked good for me. I have a '99, 202 and the boards that run the length on the inner part of the rod boxes leave just enough room for the tray to fit in between.

PS: DON'T DROP PHONE!!! ...Good luck!!

7. Member
    I ended up cutting right through the dang wires on my 203. I used a jig saw too with a short metal blade. They ran those dang wires right down the middle of my front deck. Any way i looked at it after the fact was I needed to cut them and extend them anyways just to make the tray fit. Don't forget to seal the plywood! I used 3 coats of fiberglass resign.

8. Member
    THANKS!!! again everyone for your help!!! Now if I can cut a hole in her without cutting wires...I will have a good install with all your help! thanks.....

9. Member
    I cut a transducer wire when I did my 184. I'd reccomemnded yanking out the important wires.
    1990 Champion 184DC/FS
    1990 Evinrude 150XP Raker 22P
    2x HB Helix 9SI
    MK Ultrex 80# Ipilot

10. Member
    Done....mine was very easy.
    So, just go slow get everything as you want and away you go.
    I laid it out on the deck with the provided template, cut the carpet out with razor knife, remove carpet cut out.
    Drill holes in corners, used jig saw to cut deck, go slow.
    Removed cut out of deck, may require cross cuts to remove in smaller pieces and it depends how much foam and how far forward foam goes.
    Cut out foam with drywall saw just enough to seat recessed tray and to clear for drain hose to bilge...
    The rest is easy...Thanks for all your help everyone.

Put one in last week on a 96 202. REVIEW the posts on the forum. Comfor troll supplies a template. 1. Measure 10 times where you want it. 2.Tape templet down. 3. Mark your cut with sharpie. 4. Cut out carpet. 5. Small skill saw set at appropriate depth approx 1/2 inch. 6. Remove cut out. 7. Remove foam under deck. 8. Watch out for that PVC pipe with 2 wires in it and cut back PVC to fit in tray. 9. Seal wood around where you cut. 10. Place drain tube where it will drain appropriately. 11. Screw down.
    Make take a little trimming where it is curved on the back side. Prepare for a bunch of fiberglass dust. Love the recessed tray. Good Luck !!! Took me about an hour and a half to complete. Did I say you need to measure where you want it ????