Question So I am getting the itch....Z8 VS Z9??

To get back into another boat. I am looking around at I would be in the market for either a Z9 or a Z8...the thing that I don't like about the Z8 is the large center storage compartment. I had a 929 previously and really liked the 3 separate storage compartments. However, there are quite a few really nice late model Z8's out there. What kind of storage organizational options are out there for the center storage compartment? Anyone have any pics of their setups that they would be willing to share?

2. Member
    In the same position as you. Sold my 929 this spring and looking for a z8 or 9 in the next few months.

Flippin',
    This does not answer your Q... But I sure do LOVE my 9. I even like it better than the new 21. And I'm with you, the 3 separate compartments is ideal.
    Jimmy Young

2021 Nitro Z19
    Mercury 200 ProXS
    Atlas 10" Hydraulic Jackplate
    Humminbird HELIX 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    Humminbird
    HELIX 8 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G3N
    Humminbird HELIX 12
    CHIRP MEGA DI+ GPS G4N at bow
    Humminbird HELIX 8 CHIRP MEGA DI GPS G3N CHO at bow
    Humminbird MEGA 360
    Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link
    Dual Power Pole Blades

4. Member
    I like the 9 vs the 8. Main reason is storage compartment s

I like both but since I went with the 8 I like the big storage in bow better. Reason being is I can use it more ways. Example I can have rain coats, life vests other light stuff, or 2 milk crates with tubes to hold about 100 musky lures and next to the crates 2 life vests and a couple 3700's for leaders and hooks. Or pull the crates out and drop in a tote with worms and bass gear with life vests next to it.

All in all with proper planning it can be very easy to switch from bass to musky to walleye all in 1 minute while having a full boats worth of gear on the easy easy swap.
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Member
    Thanks all!!

Jimmy I know you really enjoy your 9.....that's the direction I am leaning towards but we will see what's available when I decide to pull the trigger.

I fish allot with my dad and I would rather not have to get out of his way anytime he wants to change his lure with something that would be stored in the big center compartment of the Z8.

Fishysam....are those pieces of downspouts you're using to hold those musky lures?

7. Member
    I have an 8 and store totes of soft plastics in the big storage compartment. I also put marker buoys, golden rule, scissors, pliers, dyes and scents, and my terminal boxes in there. My plastics stay organized in the totes so I like the huge storage compartment. Also, when I am in a hurry, I can just throw jackets or other clothes I have taken off in there to run down the lake. I can also see some people liking the separate compartments better, it really is all about personal preference.

Yep, plastic down spout. I also have two totes in the back after I remove the factory containers I drop in 8x6 down spouts as well. I only lost the spare prop holder. My arrangement for single use is the port side rear box is full of my gear that also holds more than 7 3700's more like 10, this keeps me floating level when I'm alone. Anyways first partner gets rear starboard side, third gets front middle.

9. Member
    I just sold my 2006 929 and bought a 2014 Z9 and could not be happier. The storage layout is identical but the front deck overall is much bigger. Both of my boats were dual console and the space between the 2 consoles is much larger on the Z9 - the 2 drawers below each console are also very nice on the Z9. Nitro re-designed the hull and moved the gas tank further up (below the bench seats) this makes handling so much better on the Z9 vs the 929. I would absolutely go Z9 – never going to regret having a bigger boat!

10. Member
    I would say go with the Z9. I went from a Z7 to the Z9 and what a difference. The 9 has so much storage! As far as ride I think it's on par with any other 20 footer. A lot of it I think has to do with how the driver handles the boat.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjgarret View Post
    I just sold my 2006 929 and bought a 2014 Z9 and could not be happier. The storage layout is identical but the front deck overall is much bigger. Both of my boats were dual console and the space between the 2 consoles is much larger on the Z9 - the 2 drawers below each console are also very nice on the Z9. Nitro re-designed the hull and moved the gas tank further up (below the bench seats) this makes handling so much better on the Z9 vs the 929. I would absolutely go Z9 – never going to regret having a bigger boat!
    Interesting...my 929 was a 2006 as well. What motor was on your 929? How is the holeshot on the Z9 compared back to your 929?

12. Member
    I had a 225 Optimax on the 929. My Z9 is a 250 Pro XS. The hole shot time was AT LEAST cut in half. Maybe more.

The deck layout on the Z9 was my deciding factor. I really don't think deck storage could ever be better..
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    2019 Mercury 250 FS

14. Member
    If you fish big water like erie frequently I'd go with the Z9, if you fish skinny water get the z8. IF you go Z8 nothing less than the 225. The 200 on a Z8 is the dumbest thing ever in my opinion.
    2010 NITRO Z7

15. Member
    I will hit Erie on occasion but that won't be a key factor in deciding what I buy. I honestly could get by with a smaller boat for the local lakes we have around my home. I am just a fan of the bigger platforms and the options it opens up to you ie...fishing with 3 people

For those that have driven or rode in the Z8 and Z9...
    Is the Z9 significantly better in rough water than the Z8? I have driven a Z9 and had no complaints about the ride in the rough stuff on Mille Lacs and Rainy lake.