200 efi idle problem

Hey guys, so I have a 200 mariner mag efi, with a new powerhead installed a few months ago. My problem is it won't hardly start unless I have a little bit of pressure on the hotfoot. Sometimes the throttle will stick and it idles perfectly. I just don't want to adjust the linkage if that's not the problem and end up with a high rpm idle. I've heard you're supposed to replace the spark plugs after break in, I haven't got around to that yet but I will. My question is, does my starting/idling problem have anything to do with the linkage being out of adjustment? Thanks

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I'll ping you to post your serial number to enable the experts to help you more quickly. Sometimes it makes a big difference in their advice.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Go back thru your linkage adjustment procedure from start to finish again. Gotta verify everything is set correctly before you can really locate a problem if there is one. I'd bet your adjustment is out somewhere. Serial number isn't gonna tell anybody anything useful for this. What is your idle rpm in gear once it's running?
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

4. Member
    deff could have something to do with it make sure all sensors are working correctly and fuel psi is right on/ what blew other powerhead hmmmmm ??????
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    deff could have something to do with it make sure all sensors are working correctly and fuel psi is right on/ what blew other powerhead hmmmmm ??????

I had a bearing go out, it went into my pistons. Some people told me that a bad injector could of caused that so I had my injectors rebuilt.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet02 View Post
    Go back thru your linkage adjustment procedure from start to finish again. Gotta verify everything is set correctly before you can really locate a problem if there is one. I'd bet your adjustment is out somewhere. Serial number isn't gonna tell anybody anything useful for this. What is your idle rpm in gear once it's running?
    To be honest, I couldn't tell you exactly. It's only around like 400 rpm though. It's a very rough and low idle unless I lay my foot on the hot foot. Then it's fine. Like I said before, sometimes the throttle will stick though and it idles perfectly.

7. Member
    you know how to set idle timming ??????? or adjust it
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Member
    Was the motor running/idling correctly after the rebuild? Or is the first time you've had it in the water?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StarcraftSS View Post
    Was the motor running/idling correctly after the rebuild? Or is the first time you've had it in the water?
    no, it was rough from the get go. Just thought it was acting that way because I was in break in with double oil

10. Member
    need to correct issue or could be doing it again/ check it over closely spark ,fuel, timming all set up and linkages they usually don't run much diff on D oil just smoke more