XR6 overheat alarm at idle speeds help

SN 0T861826
    At idle speed throughout the day I began to throw an overheat alarm (single continuous beeeeeeep) but would not throw one operating at higher rpms. Thermostats and water pump (all components) are less than 2 months old. PSI at WOT is 18-20, at 1k rpm it is 5-7psi and below 1k rpms it drops below 5psi. I would throw the alarm at the 600-1200rpm range. I pulled the stats and the rubber gasket is intact. Ran it without the thermostats on the hose and water flowed freely out of the left side of the water jacket while it ran slowly out of the right side. I could plug the left side with my thumb and the water would flow well out of the right side of the jacket. Any ideas what the issue could be? I had someone tell me that a single continuous beep could also be a oil alarm but I was under the impression that is "beep beep beep"?
    04 Triton TR 186 Merc 150 XR6

2. Member
    The issue occurred randomly while graphing around yesterday. Currently running on the muffs, with the stats in, 5-7psi and pissing fine. It has been running 10+ minutes, no alarm.

3. Member
    Update #2...after a little research I have found out that for whatever reason a faulty oil sensor can cause an overheat alarm. Unbolted the oil pump, O rings and bushing were intact, bore and spline teeth were clean showed no damage. Unplugged the meeting point were the wires from the oil cap meet with the female connectors that lead to the "sensor box". 0 continuity coming from male ends that go to the oil reservoir cap, indicating a faulty sensor I believe? I did receive a reading from the female end, I do not remember exactly what it was but I want to say 6. Replacing the cap that has the sensor should resolve the issue? Should I remove the whole oil injection system and premix? My old boat was premix and I hated mixing, but I don't want this motor to go boom.

**update #3** found a complete service manual online, continuity indeed should be 0 on the leads from the oil reservoir, which leads me to the conclusion that it isn't oil related. Back to square 1. I couldn't replicate the alarm on the hose at all yesterday. I'll check the poppet valve along with the continuity of the temp sensor tonight.
    Last edited by GSUbasser; 05-03-2017 at 09:33 AM.

4. Member
    I believe the alarm for oil reservoir level is the four beeps, the no oil pump rotation may be the continuous beep, but not sure. I would not run it until you know what alarm was going off. Could just be faulty sensor.

5. Banned
    Years back my 1995 200xri did the same thing. Come to find out the oil pump sensor went out. I went ahead a disconnected the oil injection system and went pre-mix.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Bullet View Post
    Years back my 1995 200xri did the same thing. Come to find out the oil pump sensor went out. I went ahead a disconnected the oil injection system and went pre-mix.
    "Possible Cause Corrective ActionDefective low oil sensor (located in fill cap of engineoil reservoir).Do not remove cap from oil reservoir. Disconnectboth low oil sensor leads from terminal connectors.Connect an ohmmeter between leads. Thereshould be no continuity through sensor. If continuityexists, sensor is faulty. Replace cap assembly."

The formatting from the chart in the service manual didn't transfer but based on my multi meter test of 0 ohms the sensor is functioning.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Test thermostats. You may have one sticking open, or one that does not open properly.

Also- a torn gasket under the impeller plate can cause this (even a "new" one).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Test thermostats. You may have one sticking open, or one that does not open properly.

Also- a torn gasket under the impeller plate can cause this (even a "new" one).
    I fixed it a couple days ago. I had a thermostat that would open intermittently. Tested one day opened fine, tested the next day opened a 1/4 of the way. Replaced with new one and is working as intended

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor