Chris Bailey Foil report

Hit the water for the first time this year, been doing lots of work to the boat, new digital gauges, fiberglass repair, among other things, so I'm several months behind getting on the water. First trip to the big "O" in Florida and I had an absolute blast. One thing is for sure, I think that without this new foil, I would have had a much harder time running on this lake. It is SHALLOW! Running out of the canal was normal, but once you are on the main lake body, you are in skinny water really quick. Chris's foil kept me running high and dry and at lower speeds than I had ever been able to do before. Absolutely no porpoising at all.

The hardest thing I had to deal with on the lake is getting up on pad once you are on the lake. When you run the jack plate all the way up, trim all the way down, then take off, many times as your boat "squats" to push up on pad, you bump bottom. I watched several guys out there jump up on pad, and noticed there were two tricks to getting a fully loaded boat up.

One trick was to start out in a hard turn so you have the prop tilted to the side which gives you more water with which to work. The second is to throttle up for a second, then as the back of the boat rises on the wake you just made, hit it hard again and you will jump up on pad. I know that without this foil all this would have been a lot harder, My boat is very rear heavy, so anything to help get up on pad is good. Chris's foil does this in spades.

If you are even thinking about his foil, just do it. Top quality workmanship and really helps with the boat handling. I had lots of comments on it at the ramp too. If I were to re-power or change boats, you can bet I'll have one on my next boat too! Thanks Chris!

There is such a phenomenon known as an "Okeechobee Start" it does involve turning the wheel all the way I think. It was developed to get a heavy bass boat up on skinny water. Someone from that area may explain it

Tournament-Fishing \"It\'s not a question of if you will be humbled but how many times\"

3. Member
    Yeah, I was able to do it once, but it must take a little trial and error to get it right. They said the water was down a few feet. If it had been up just a little I would have been able to run without any problems at all I think. Other than having a shiner trap wrapped around my prop once......

4. Member
    Not hard to do. Have the engine turned full either way and hit the throttle. You should be up anywhere from 90* to 120 or so from your line of start. As soon as you are up,just turn the wheel to the direction you want to go. Only problem with it is it doesn't work in those damn airboat ditches.When I used to fish there a lot,I under pitched my prop by 4". One of Chris Bailey's foils would help a lot now.

5. Member
    Pumping out the livewells and having my partner sit on the edge of the front deck helped as much as anything. Pop right up once we did that. But full livewells and us both in the seats didn't work so well. I tried the motor turned all the way a couple times other than the one time I got up. Still didn't work but the one time. My Ranger is definitely butt heavy.

6. Member
    I'm considering getting a CB foil for my 521vx running 250 rude with 6" bob's backplate. Looking for opinions and wondering other than holeshot, did you see any other performance improvements with your setup?

7. Member
    holeshot, porpoising reduction, and the ability to stay on plane at lower speeds. Just get one.
    2005 Ranger Z21 2005 Mercury Optimax 250XS Serial#OT999281 25P Mercury Tempest +

8. RIP -April 30,2023
    awesome!! i love hearing feedback! thanks guys for all of yall's support. much appreciated..

Quote Originally Posted by Super 91 View Post
    Hit the water for the first time this year, been doing lots of work to the boat, new digital gauges, fiberglass repair, among other things, so I'm several months behind getting on the water. First trip to the big "O" in Florida and I had an absolute blast. One thing is for sure, I think that without this new foil, I would have had a much harder time running on this lake. It is SHALLOW! Running out of the canal was normal, but once you are on the main lake body, you are in skinny water really quick. Chris's foil kept me running high and dry and at lower speeds than I had ever been able to do before. Absolutely no porpoising at all.

The hardest thing I had to deal with on the lake is getting up on pad once you are on the lake. When you run the jack plate all the way up, trim all the way down, then take off, many times as your boat "squats" to push up on pad, you bump bottom. I watched several guys out there jump up on pad, and noticed there were two tricks to getting a fully loaded boat up.

One trick was to start out in a hard turn so you have the prop tilted to the side which gives you more water with which to work. The second is to throttle up for a second, then as the back of the boat rises on the wake you just made, hit it hard again and you will jump up on pad. I know that without this foil all this would have been a lot harder, My boat is very rear heavy, so anything to help get up on pad is good. Chris's foil does this in spades.

If you are even thinking about his foil, just do it. Top quality workmanship and really helps with the boat handling. I had lots of comments on it at the ramp too. If I were to re-power or change boats, you can bet I'll have one on my next boat too! Thanks Chris!

9. Member
    Okay, changed back to a Raker II prop and my performance has gotten even better. Hole shot is like before I had Talons and heavier batteries in the boat. Really love my setup now. Chris, your foil has transformed my boat. Thank you sir!

10. AR Bass Club/AR Fishing Moderator GhostComanche's Avatar
    His foils are top shelf and perform well.......................good report Sir............................RR

"Never argue with an idiot; He will beat you to death with stupidity"