Thread: So close.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by River Rocket View Post
    8" Allison hydraulic plate. 32 P4. Stock case. 1.62's

Boat had 200lbs of gear in it not including gas, oil, troller, driver, and batteries.
    What are your RPMs at 99mph?

Thx!
    - Allison XB2003
    - Mercury Racing 300xs
    - A ride on the California Delta: https://youtu.be/9oTVcRWWKcM

2. BBC SPONSOR
    Just an observation...if the Prosport needs weight added to the nose and the 2+2 does not, wouldn't it make sense that the 2 seater has the most bow weight and would need more weight moved to the back?
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

Here is the 2+2 vs the Prosport. Both boats are running cleaned out for the most part. We were going out to run big numbers and had the boats only loaded with batteries and ballast weight. As you can see the Prosport is much higher in the bow. After this photo I went and stood on the tip of the bow next to the trolling motor. My 190lbs is about what it took to get my boat to sit at the same level as the 2+2.

The 2 seater is a different seating configuration. The driver sits essentially where our back seats are. Not sure how that impacts front to back weight distribution. We need to find one down here and line all 3 boats up on the dock. Maybe line yours up. Come on down and we can hit Fork and go trophy hunting.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by River Rocket; 05-03-2017 at 11:41 PM. Reason: added photo
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

5700/5800 rpm. I don't have a recall and my eyes are not looking down often. Well over 5500 and well below 6000 would be stating it how I'm seeing it.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

5. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    that is a very good comparative picture. The Prosport has less building material in the front half of the boat compared to the 2+2. Compartment lids and compartments alone should account for some of the weight difference plus the consoles may add extra weight. How about the difference in weight between the 2 trolling motors?
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

My 2+2 in the picture still has the light weight Evinrude 24v which I think only weighs around 35 lbs where Geoff's ProSport has a MinnKota Terrova 24v which I would think would weigh nearly double. I have never weighed mine just info I have read in the past. I only had 40 lbs (25 lb shot bag and 15 lb anchor for ballast) in the front storage on the passenger side for this picture. It was quite shocking once we saw them there.
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post
    Just an observation...if the Prosport needs weight added to the nose and the 2+2 does not, wouldn't it make sense that the 2 seater has the most bow weight and would need more weight moved to the back?
    Only thing would be how much further back the Pro seats sit. I would suspect a little weight forward would be helpful. My tm batteries are in the rear where as the Pro are normally in the front. Bring that bad boy to Texas and lets do some three way testing!!
    Jay McDaniel
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

8. BBC SPONSOR
    Last fall when I did some testing in good conditions, I put 40lbs of shot in the hole next to the passenger seat to get the weight out as far as possible. Then I made a pass with another 20lbs in the front rod locker, a pass with the 20lbs in the hole with the other 2 bags, and a pass with the 20lbs in the rear compartment behind the battery. The boat drove better and ran better with the 20lbs in the rear compartment. I was also carrying all of my fishing gear in the front as well. I also only have 60lbs worth of trolling batteries in the bow compared to the normal 120+lbs.

I will do more testing starting next Thursday while I am at the Clifton, TN Smoke on the Water Rally.
    Last edited by Tim Powell; 05-04-2017 at 10:19 AM.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

My trolling motor weights 55lbs with the removal-able bracket.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post
    Last fall when I did some testing in good conditions, I put 40lbs of shot in the hole next to the passenger seat to get the weight out as far as possible. Then I made a pass with another 20lbs in the front rod locker, a pass with the 20lbs in the hole with the other 2 bags, and a pass with the 20lbs in the rear compartment behind the battery. The boat drove better and ran better with the 20lbs in the rear compartment. I was also carrying all of my fishing gear in the front as well. I also only have 60lbs worth of trolling batteries in the bow compared to the normal 120+lbs.

I will do more testing starting next Thursday while I am at the Clifton, TN Smoke on the Water Rally.
    I plan to do some light testing (have tried a couple times already and windy conditions have not allowed) soon and see what I can figure out on the correct ballast and placement. I have figured out that my fishing load is 40 lbs heavier in the left front plus another 15 lbs along the outside rod box between the front and rear passenger seats puts me in pretty good shape!
    Jay McDaniel
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

11. Member
    Great running bud. Looks like your getting her dialed in right

Good stuff.

Today was windy and the forecast for the next 6 days doesn't look any better. We have cool temps, so I decided to see what I could do now that I have the prop back and before the holiday. I have tried 3 other times over the last week and had too much wind to stretch it out. I'm consistently running 96-98 in some questionable water (so that is positive). The prop is so much better now out of the hole and in the mid range. I'm confident I'm done having it worked. In fact, its not a horrible daily driver. But for the price I think I will stick to something cheaper.

I got to the launch and found it way too windy close to home, but decided to try a spot across the lake that may be protected. I now have it down to an art. I need about 1.5 miles of clean water to put down a run and have a safe cool down distance. When I got to the spot it was pretty clean so I made a few passes until I ran out of gas. Unfortunately, it just didn't feel right so I didn't push it over 98.2. Instead I used the time to data log a bunch of runs for further evaluation. By the time I got done I had run 26 miles.

Since I'm driving I don't pay any attention to my gauges aside from the trim and I basically set it at 80 and don't touch it again. I can see the speed climbing but I don't really know if I'm peaking or not so I'm saving the last few bumps for when I hit and quit climbing. I have the GPS at the bow showing big digits, so I'm watching the nose and the water the entire time. According to the data I gathered today it took 81 seconds to hit 98.2 (I slowed rolled up to 40 and then hit it). According to the trend line if I would have stayed in for another 7 seconds I would have been at 100. I'm sure someplace up over 99 I would have started to plateau, but based on my graph I was still climbing at a constant pace between 80 and 98.2. While the top end missed, I'm sure with the right water it will hit. The data is interesting to look at so I thought I would post.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

14. BBC SPONSOR
    Nice!
    Fastbass Marine LLC

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

15. Member
    What are you using for a data logger??

I use a iPhone app Speedometer. It was $4 I think. It was way cheaper than buying a data logger. The down side is you have to hand manipulate the data. I personally like that. The app lets you email a GPX file out. I translate the GPX file into long, lat, speed, and distance. I take that file and put it in Excel. It takes about 15 minutes to scrub the data. On the plus side the app logs data at a 1 second rate so you don't have that many points to deal with.

The GPX file will let you overlay it on a google map as well. The app will do that as well. It will also color code the trail with your speed so you can see how fast you were running in a certain place. Cool for long multi boat river runs.

Now that I have it all working I'm going to bring out all my props and run them back to back and log the data. It will be cool to lay the runs on top of each other and see how the props compare.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

17. Member
    That's very cool and way over my head. The comparison data should be very interesting. What props are you going to compare.

25p Bravo XS (Stock)
    30p Bravo XS (B&B with 1" pvs)
    30p Promax (B&B with dual pvs) Just got this prop. Sending it out to be worked
    32p P4 BC (not stock.....)

And what ever else I can get my hands on. Jay has a stock 28p Bravo XS. It would be cool to do the same tests on his 2+2 with 250xs at the same time.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

I have fallen behind on my prop collection...sold all my smaller wheels I ran with my old 2.5XS and have not replaced any yet. I can't wait to see how this app works for overall comparisons.
    Jay McDaniel
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

20. Member
    That info is way cool sir. Many thanks!
    Carte's Custom

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast