Question Considering a High Five prop. Need recommendation.

203 rear tank 225 EFI. I usually run a 27 Tempest for speed and a 26 Trophy Plus for all around. I am thinking of the 5 blade just to jump up quicker for hopping from spot to spot. Any idea which size is best?

2. Member
    Probably a 23 or 25. Have you tried a bravo xs?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kris_tx View Post
    Probably a 23 or 25. Have you tried a bravo xs?
    Never tried the Bravo, though I hear good things about them. I have a 26p 3 blade Fury that is too much pitch for the boat. I need to get it worked down a bit or sell it and replace with something else. It still runs the boat to over 70 but is lacking about 300 rpms. Too much bite on take off too.

Get your Trophy worked and pitched down to a 25 by Mark and go fishing.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMosher View Post
    Get your Trophy worked and pitched down to a 25 by Mark and go fishing.
    Mark had worked it and it was perfect. Unfortunately it met a career ending shoal last summer. I replaced it with the 26 Fury hoping it would be perfect out of the box. No such luck. All of the holes are open and it struggles to build the rpms it needs to launch. At wot it runs around 5500. The whole issue arises because I am supposed to be fishing 4 people out of my boat for 3 days of crappie fishing this weekend. I forgot I didn't have the Trophy to get me out of the hole.

6. Member
    I wouldnt even consider a high 5. Maybe a 24/25 tempest.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FastBird View Post
    What do you have against the Five? I just figured it would pop on plane. No expectations for 70mph.

8. Member
    Well...if you like plowing water, no lift, no speed, high 5 is for you. I had a five on my Cat, buddy used same prop on his R boat. Holeshot wasnt much better than a nice tempest. Id think a 203 w a 225 would pop out of the water w a decent 3 blade.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FastBird View Post
    I keep a 23P High 5 around for those days when I'm on small water and am jumping around from hole to hole, or for when I'm on big water that's getting big wind. It will pop you up on plane with little effort, keep you on plane with little speed, and power you through big rollers when needed. It's just another tool in the tool bag.

I also run a 23P Razor 4XL, a 24P Tempest Plus, or 25P Tempest Plus. All depends upon the conditions, the load I'll be carrying, and desired performance of the day. Besides, I have a little 2.5L Merc that needs all the help it can get pushing my wide body champ. Lol
    2017 Ranger Z520C / Mercury 250 ProXS 2S

I ran a High 5 on my 97 202 with a 200 merc as a backup and as Mark Wendler posted to run Creek channels. Holeshot was incredible top end about 64 loaded with 2 guys.

11. Member
    I had a 99 202 with a 200 Optimax and when I took 2 friends sac au lait (crappie) fishing I ran a 25" High 5. It is great for 3 people and a full livewell.

12. Member
    If you go in the Mercury web site under prop selection, you put in all the criteria and it will tell you what prop is recommended. I did it for my Cat and Verado. Suggested 23 pitch High Five and that is what I went with. Put solid plugs in it and wow what a difference. I added 2 Talons, have 4 batteries, 51 gallons of gas, 40 gallons in livewell and usually 2 big guys at 250# each. Hole shot is amazing and quick. The other prop it suggested was a 23 Trophy Plus (4 blade) and that is what I have for back up. Have never run it yet.

John