Banned

Buying used boat TOTAL INITIAL cost?

Alright....so I am starting to inch closer to wanting to make this a reality. I have nailed down the boat, and specific price range/maximum I am going to offer. I have narrowed it down to a 2005+ Tracker, with a 50 HP+ motor....and i WANT (lol) to pay $6000, but I am prepared to go to $7000 (especially if it has at least 1 good depth finder on it).

I know I may be wishing with the prices....but going around craigslist for the last month or so gives me some confidence I may be able to get something Id love....prolly at my "max" tho! lol I'm willing to wait, and also put in multiple offers until I get where I need things to be. Now that things are getting more serious, and im checking my finances/budgets to start planning....I want to get a good rough idea of what my total initial cost is going to be.

So I mentioned the depth finder earlier....because I am factoring 1 low/mid range depth finder (has to have side imaging since I have my kayak and now it feels impossible to fish without SI hahaha) into my budget. Here is my running list of what I expect to pay. Please add or adjust accordingly based on what you have run into! Thanks guys!

INITIAL COST
    $7000-boat
    $500-reg,tax,title, etc...
    $200-Trailer light T harness, tow hitch/receiver attached to frame. (towing)
    $600-Side Imaging Depth Finder
    $150-Mechanic to inspect prior to final purchase
    $300-Travel charge to pick up boat

I know the list is short so Im missing (hopefully not) lots of things. Let me know what addl things I need to prepare for.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by bockscar; 05-01-2017 at 05:02 PM. Reason: already added 2 things a few minutes after posting OP! lol

2. Banned
    Also...there is wiggle room on the year of the boat for sure if its well kept, but not so much on the motor size being any smaller. So hopefully that increases my chances at least a bit!

The one thing with the older years that scares me....trolling motor, and possibly batteries needing to be replaced soon after purchase...and the depth finders are most always way old/original from purchase. But for the right price I can spend the extra for that stuff....mentioning that cuz I saw a 98 tracker that looked good beside old school trolling motor/graphs while i was browsing CL. But with that said....98 is too old, Im thinking more 2000-2004 when I mention my wiggle room.

Another question....

Would you prefer a newer, but shorter length boat...or an older (2000+) longer length boat? Trying to increase my flexibility while staying within my budget.
    Last edited by bockscar; 05-01-2017 at 02:04 PM.

Initial cost also includes life jackets, throwable cushion, anchor, ropes, basic tool kit, paddle, etc. Plus don't forget your insurance premium. Also, any older boat is going to need something repaired sooner or later. There's no way to know for sure, but you've already touched on batteries ($100 each) and a new trolling motor ($600-$1,100).

I perfer newer over bigger, but that depends on the size of water and type of fishing you will be doing. If you fish big waters or tournament fish, I'd put more emphasis on a large boat. If you are on bodies of water that are narrow (less waves) and can stay at home when the wind gets above 15 mph, go with the smaller, newer boat.

Hold firm on what you want to spend or have budget to spend. The right boat is out there so don't settle. Hard to find a deal this time of year but it can be done. Have extra put aside for those unexpected cost that may pop up. Good luck!
    89 Ranger 360v/05 Optimax 200

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jlg309 View Post
    Initial cost also includes life jackets, throwable cushion, anchor, ropes, basic tool kit, paddle, etc. Plus don't forget your insurance premium. Also, any older boat is going to need something repaired sooner or later. There's no way to know for sure, but you've already touched on batteries ($100 each) and a new trolling motor ($600-$1,100).

I perfer newer over bigger, but that depends on the size of water and type of fishing you will be doing. If you fish big waters or tournament fish, I'd put more emphasis on a large boat. If you are on bodies of water that are narrow (less waves) and can stay at home when the wind gets above 15 mph, go with the smaller, newer boat.
    I have a PFD, and a small anchor from the kayak. Tool kit I have at the house and can just juggle. I have a kayak paddle too, split in half I have 2 small paddles! lol

Insurance is something I havent factored in....any insight into a range I may be looking at? Im 30 years old....and not sure if it matters but have a clean driving record and my only accident is when I was TBoned by some bonehead! I was thinking newer over bigger too since its my first. The way I see it, if I get 3 or 4 good and relatively low cost years out of it....I will be happy. Resell it for a bit after, and go to either a meaty aluminum or jump to fiberglass and big boy motors once I get my sea legs.

Those batteries, trolling motor repairs....im hoping will be more of upgrades in the months following the initial purchase so im not factoring them in. Also....15mph and no fishing in a 17.5 ft aluminum boat? Thats why im getting one, to fish on 15 to sub 25 mph weather days! Ive only fished 2 times in the last 2 months and im fiending! lol Im fishing out of a kayak currently and am comfy up to 15mph, any higher than that im paddling for 30 mins to move 30 yards! Still trying to stay safe out there but as it is I stay home if the winds are forecast for 15+ and Im on a kayak....I dont wanna spend $9k to be in the same spot.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SCfisher View Post
    Hold firm on what you want to spend or have budget to spend. The right boat is out there so don't settle. Hard to find a deal this time of year but it can be done. Have extra put aside for those unexpected cost that may pop up. Good luck!
    Thanks, that is the plan. Im in a FB group...and someone mentioned the time of year to me and how the better deals seem to pop up come christmas time when people have stored their boats and realize they dont wanna deal with them anymore lol I was trying for a 3 month plan.....but I kinda like the wait it out for the end of the year plan....especially since I have really good luck buying fishing stuff at that time! Got really good discounts on my kayak rigging stuff, depth finder, rods and reels last year! So if I stay patient, maybe I can save and be ready to snap on the right deal toward the end of the year when the market is more buyer friendly.....and at the same time find some deals on a nice depth finder, and a new minnkota with spot lock (or go rob a bank and buy an ultrex)!

Fingers crossed! And def will do....especially the "extra put aside" part!

7. Member
    Best thing i can say as far as shopping is get the boat you want. Not one that has some of this or that in your wishlist. Graphs and stuff is negotiable. But you should be able to find a boat in that range with a good trolling motor and batteries. I just sold my old boat with 1yr old interstates and a 2yr old fortrex for about the same money. (lots of differences in boat mind you...) my point is that for that money you should be able to find what you want. Even if you may have to travel further to get it. My new boat came from Tennessee and im in nw il. But i got what i wanted. A couple hundered bucks in gas and a free saturday and my bass boat dream came true. Stay with it. Dont settle for somethimg unless its the one.

Also, if you are shopping for equipment, tm or graphs, check the for sale section here. Bought a new fortrex last fall for my new to me boat and got a great deal on it. Lots of good sellers here and fair prices for most.