Lake Champlain Grass: When do grass and pads come up?

Buddy and I going there for a few days June 2-4. Will pads be up and grass starting to mat up then?
    Thanks for the info.l

Should be various stages of pre spawn and the spawn going on so mat fishing should probably not come into play.

3. Tony C
    What part of Champlain?
    Ranger Z21/Yamaha HPDI 250

4. Member
    Ticonderoga

I am there this Thursday and Friday so I will check back when I return home. Fishing Ti and mid lake below Burlington

6. Member
    There was still significant ice on the lake less than a month ago, so the season is a bit later than it’s been the last few years is my impression. I have not been south to fish Ti but reports from friends match what I’ve found farther North, i.e. water temp is fluctuating significantly from day to day which is affecting the bite from day to day. Example, last Friday a friend fished one part of the lake and told me he found 42-degree water. The very next day I fished the same area and found 49-52, and the very next day highest I found was 43--all in the same place. The wind kicks up and it gets cold water from the big lake or just the deeper channel stirred up and it makes a big difference. Lake level is right around 100’ now too and it’s raining all week—weeds will mat up more once water level comes down, but that could be later in the summer. I imagine things will heat up quick once we get into later spring and that by early June you’ll be able to find areas where the spawn is totally done, and other areas where the waters a bit colder still and you can still find spawning fish. There’ll be weeds and pads, but probably not what I would call “mats” in most places.

Quote Originally Posted by cwenbass View Post
    Buddy and I going there for a few days June 2-4. Will pads be up and grass starting to mat up then?
    Thanks for the info.l
    Probably not.
    1998 202 DC / Mercury 300R

8. Member
    I was on Champlain Sunday out of Ticonderoga. Water temps ranged from 55-59*... and always in the spring the wonderful north winds have made visibility very poor.

the water level is just below flood level...and with all the rain we have coming again for several days, flood level is likely seeing as its close to 99 to begin with. The reason why I bring up the high water levels is because it will slow down the weed growth. There will be a lack of tall weeds and no lily pads in June.

9. Member
    Thanks for all the info.

Just fished Ti south for last 2 days. Lake is 3.5 feet or so high. Did see some emerging pads shallow, but I don't think there will be any mats. That said, fishing around the grass will be a factor, for sure. Fish will be coming in to spawn, spawning and post spawn so I would fish the flats and just outside as my main focus. We found some fish in what are normally the super shallow areas (that are now 3-4 feet deeper) and also found some deeper where they spend the winter. Water temps vary widely. Thursday was warmer, so main lake around low to mid 50's, shallow areas up to 60 plus. Today everything was cooler so low 50's up to 57-58 degrees shallow. Whatever is there, you will have fun, I am sure.