Dedicated Electronics Battery Question

Hey Guys,

I'm thinking about running a dedicated battery for my electronics when I pick up my boat from my dad's house. It currently has old Lowrance units, but I will be running two Onix 8's and likely a Solix 12 and might add 360 with an ethernet port. What size deep cycle battery would I need to go with to run all the above for a full day or night fishing?

If I don't add a 4th battery what Wet Cell have you guys used that can handle the above and as a starting battery? My motor is a 2001 Mercury EFI 175, so I won't need the CCA ratings of new Mercury motors.

2. Member
    how about a lawnmower size 12v battery? Light and about $30

3. Member
    Get the amp draw of the equipment. At a flat-out guess, 15 amps without the 360. 120 amps over 8 hours, and you don't want to use more than 50% of a lead acid battery if you want it to last, so you'll need 240 amp-hours of battery, if I have any clue (I might not!).

4. Member
    Put the biggest one you have room for. You won't regret it as even if a smaller one will do you will be running it to a low state(over 50% discharged) the bigger battery will last longer and if you add more or bigger stuff you won't have a problem. Bob

The Onix units are listed at 2.5A. The Solix is almost 4A, a bow 360 is .5A.....So about 9.5A at the worst case. Multiply 9.5 times the number of hours to operated and multiply times 2.

If you put some of the units in standby or turn of sonar when not using them you will save amp draw......Better add some solar to the boat.
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**
    __________________________________________________ ___

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

6. Member
    Spend a few bucks and save some headaches. I'm in the same boat as you. Moving from lowrance this year and going with birds. Solix 12 and an onix 8 (wow they pull some amps).......... plus many other battery drains. I too, am adding a 4th battery just for electronics.

I found a blue sea systems product that should help. It is a battery isolator/combiner that will charge your cranking battery (until full) from your 175 and then will switch over and charge your house battery. It also comes with a 2 bank onboard charger and a battery shut off switch plus that ability to combine batteries for starting if your cranking battery if low. Just google blue sea systems mini add a battery plus 65a. It will take up to 65 amps from your alternator. I have a 2012 merc opti 175 that puts out 60 amps. So you should be good, but double check.

yea its heavy, a semi 12v battery for the dedicated FF, put a HD switch to cut off connection on the + wire.. if go on long runs switch it on to charge while running, then when stop turn off. I can be located in middle area away from stern. Have house electrics hooked to it also. CB & stereo radios, 12 v ciggy lighter for the ciggys , 12 v coffee maker, 12 v cooker, night lights if night fishing, hand held HP Spot Lights. 12v Ice Chests all sorts of do dads . 4th Bank on charger when home