Thread: Lake Anna

USA Lake Anna

So looking at going to Lake Anna toward the end of May. I have options for the private side and the public side. I want to get into some smallies. What side do y'all recommend? Also, I've never been to the lake in my life so any tips for this time of year would be awesome.

2. Member
    If you want smallmouth you need to go elsewhere. Only a couple a year caught at Anna. The Potomac around DC is a better option for smallies. If still going to Anna I'd say public side that time of year as long as it is before Memorial Day weekend.

3. Member
    Lol, I'm going on Memorial weekend renting a place on the private side.

4. Member
    Don't think there are any smallmouth in Lake Anna.....if you are going memorial day weekend I would fish the private side..the cold side will be a mad house..I'm sure the hotside will be rocking but you couldn't pay me to fish lake anna memorial day weekend.

5. Member
    Hope for rain.

6. Member
    A small mouth is a very rare site on LKA. I have heard of a few being caught over the course of several YEARS. Probably fish that people may have transplanted from elsewhere. If you are looking for some fun times fishing and don't care how big the fish are, go the top of pond #2 at the out flow from the canal from pond one. Thousands of schooling 8-15 inch bass and perch in that area by time you are there. Throw 4 inch flukes, top water or a spy bait. I was just there over the weekend. They are not there in force yet, still about 2 weeks early, but when they are it looks like something you would see on National Geographic. That is where and when to be, to take people catching instead of fishing. Water temp was 84 at that spot yesterday. Make sure you have the latest navionics updates with the community edits (Fishnchip selection on your lowrance unit. Lots of shallow points and places to lose a lower unit on that lake if you are not familiar with it. Regular cards without the community updates provide little to zero coverage of the hotside.
    Last edited by WVTERP; 05-01-2017 at 01:47 PM.
    Stratos 2003 200 Pro XL

7. Member
    Thanks a lot for the info. Really appreciate it. I'm trying to bring a few people "catching". I plan on letting them all go as usual. I do have one question. What is "pond 1, 2 or 3"? Never been there. I will be staying in Coleman Creek arm.

8. Member

9. Member
    PM me and I will send you more info. I will look up coleman creek to see where that is. I probably know where it is, but not by name.

Pond one is closest to the power plant. Warmest part of the lake. When everything is up and running they pump 2 million gallons per min from the cold side through the plant and into pond one. There is a canal about 400 yards long between pond one and two. Another canal between 2 and 3 and then the water goes back into the cold side from pond 3.
    Stratos 2003 200 Pro XL

Quote Originally Posted by KramerSP View Post
    Thanks a lot for the info. Really appreciate it. I'm trying to bring a few people "catching". I plan on letting them all go as usual. I do have one question. What is "pond 1, 2 or 3"? Never been there. I will be staying in Coleman Creek arm.
    There are 3 cooling ponds, 1 being closest to the power station and will be the warmer one, pools are connected by short canals. With the temps on the cold side in the 70's I would likely stay in pools 2 and 3, 3 being the farthest from the power plants an normally the coolest.

11. Member
    Gunny - when you say "top side" of pond 2, are you referring to the area in front of the route 652 bridge? I've also had good luck in pond 3 at dawn right near the shallow water marker.

12. Member
    I believe that it is marked as Bush creek or something on the map. It will be the spot where the water flowing from pond 1 enters into pond 2. The most upper left part of pond 2 if you are looking at it on a map.
    Stratos 2003 200 Pro XL

Colman Creek is located in pool 3. That bridge to the right once you go through the canal is Colman Bridge. Look on a map and find the old road bed near the gazebo that sits on a point.

Quote Originally Posted by G3Jim View Post
    Gunny - when you say "top side" of pond 2, are you referring to the area in front of the route 652 bridge? I've also had good luck in pond 3 at dawn right near the shallow water marker.

Yes there and go under the bridge and fish the ledge on the left across from the duck blind