Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar

Question External Sonar transducer mounting

Does anyone have a sonar transducer mounted on the outside of transom AND is reading while on plane?? In particular for me, i have lowrance units and have one bilge mounted inside which is good but im not getting the details i should as if i would have one mounted outside...

Sooooo if you have one externally mounted i'd like to see where it is....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

2. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    http://www.sternsaver.com/
    This may help when you mount it
    Also comes in a "Mini" version that isn't on the site
    Cabela's has Mini $20 off

3. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Didnt know they had the mini....i actually have the SternMate setup but its way to big to place where it needs to be. Knew about the Sternsaver but its just as big as the Sternmate....i'll check into the mini......

I do not see how an external 'ducer can consistently read reliably while on plane.

The best setup would be a 2d through hull for on plane bottom reading and a 3d outside for off plane detail scanning.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Co. Hank View Post
    I do not see how an external 'ducer can consistently read reliably while on plane.

The best setup would be a 2d through hull for on plane bottom reading and a 3d outside for off plane detail scanning.

2011-721ProXp/250SHO

6. Member
    So I have always agreed with Hank the through hull for reading bottom at speed. But this Lowrance guru has me working on breaking that habit. Reason being that what you are seeing at speed is already way behind you. Long story and I am still hard headed about it.
    I just upgraded to HDS12's, with 3D SS (yes I finally gave up on the HDS 5's). Still have the through hull hooked up, but will quickly ditch that and go to a TM-150 to get CHIRP. I just have to tech myself to drive by (and trust) the Chart and Navionics + I guess.
    My 3D transducer definitely won't be in the water when on plane. It is mounted way up in a safe area.

7. Member
    i mounted my gt40 transducer on with a sternsaver mini it says not recamended for the bigger transducers last week it took a beating for 5 days down at guntersville an held up fine with no problem

8. Member
    I have tried twice to get a internal mounted (shoot thru) puck to read past 45 mph or so without success on a Phoenix 819. Best chance would seem to be a properly mounted skimmer, but I have not tried it.

9. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    My internal shoot thru works at high speeds.....its just when i'm idling or fishing the image on the unit is not great.....i've reset the settings and it doesnt work.....pretty much had the same issue with my skeeter and mounted a skimmer under jackplate and installed the switch....and then just switched back and forth.....now that shoot thru didnt work great after 45....so with the one working in my 619 i was surpise especially at the high speeds....