Smile C series rangers with water leaking might check this out.

So i have noticed i can hit my manual bilge pump from time to time and about a half a gallon of water will come out the rear pumpout, this has been going on for the last couple of times out, my valve is on recirculate when i launch and i back in nice and slow, so when i got home today i started checking things out and found the drain plug o-ring is broken but still in tact it was hard from weather beaten, so i disassembled the red plug end it has 2 small phillips screws you loosen and it comes off the wire its clamped too. i obtained a new o-ring out of my service truck for work and replaced it, this might also be caused from being inserted in and out over time in dirty or silted water so if your experiencing the water problem you might check this item and clean it now and then to prevent wearing prematurely, hope this helps i have a z521c

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I also noticed after I'd had my Z520c for a few months that it took on water if/when the remote plug got "canted" slightly as it pulled in, keeping the plug from fully seating. Now I'm very careful to visually inspect the plug from outside before launching the boat, and re-seating the plug if necessary. It never took on enough water to be dangerous, but certainly annoying. I am not a fan of the remote plug. The design is not robust enough to ensure 100% seating, and the o-ring does not seal as reliably as the older, screw-in plugs did. Convenient is only convenient if the necessary part is fail-safe.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    i always push the plug all the way in manually before i launch just for that reason, i may convert my boat back to a standard screw in plug.

4. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I'm picky this way, but when I'm out in the middle of Erie, any extra water in the boat is too much. The fact that those o-rings are falleable and don't last is a pain, given that an old-style plug seals tightly every time and does so indefinitely....

5. Member
    10-4 bud safety first

6. Member
    I was wondering where water was coming into my boat. The plug would get misaligned and water would leak past O-ring. Wish this plug had 2 O-rings to prevent leaks and misalignment.

7. Banned
    Are yall keeping the o-ring and drain hole lubricated? I use a thin coat of dielectric grease which keeps things moving in and out nicely. Prior to doing this I did have a few instances where the plug did not fully seat closed.

8. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    Are yall keeping the o-ring and drain hole lubricated? I use a thin coat of dielectric grease which keeps things moving in and out nicely. Prior to doing this I did have a few instances where the plug did not fully seat closed.
    Yes, but I'd prefer not to need work (periodic checking and lubrication) in order to save the work of manually manipulating the drain plug. Old style plugs were not nearly so sensitive and actually sealed better. I'm not one to gripe at every little thing on a boat. Life's too short and no boat is perfect. But I've taught myself over the years to only ever have my drain plug in the boat or in my hand, precisely because I never want to worry about what's going on under the waterline. If I have to crawl under the boat with a flashlight to verify seating of the plug, where's the advantage?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    Yes, but I'd prefer not to need work (periodic checking and lubrication) in order to save the work of manually manipulating the drain plug. Old style plugs were not nearly so sensitive and actually sealed better. I'm not one to gripe at every little thing on a boat. Life's too short and no boat is perfect. But I've taught myself over the years to only ever have my drain plug in the boat or in my hand, precisely because I never want to worry about what's going on under the waterline. If I have to crawl under the boat with a flashlight to verify seating of the plug, where's the advantage?
    I do think it would be very convenient to avoid crawling under the hull/set back to pull or place the drain but I worry about performance of the plug that several guys have experienced. I decided to keep my old plug but what I do is carry a nice, thick and comfortable piece of foam with me in the truck and use it to kneel on to spare my knees. Only takes few seconds to get down, screw it in and know I'm good.
    2012 Z521, Yamaha 250 SHO
    SOLD-1998 Ranger 519DVS, Mercury 225 EFI
    Semper Fi

10. Member
    35+ years with the rubber screw plug style. Only issue I ever had was the few times I forgot to plug it in at the ramp, got water in the boat, and either just reached down to plug it in, or pulled the boat back out..

It never came out on the water, or leaked, ever..

With this new plug, I have to worry about all these additional things for the "convenience" of being able to turn a knob. The additional risk is that someone turns the knob while my boat sits in a slip......

11. mikesxpress
    Patrick I installed my remote drain plug a week ago and lubricated the O ring with Super Lube to keep it from drying out. It snaps in tight and I'll just keep lubing it once a month. I did put a spare O ring in my on-board tool box.

12. Member
    it would be nice to have a plug that you open the back lid and turn a t-handle to screw it into the hull from on board that resembles the T&H screw in plug hmmm

13. Member
    Mike im right there with you on this some periodic maintenance is always good and 16 months on my gatorbaks with no issues or blisters they are awesome.

14. Member
    I've had problems with mine from day 1

15. Member
    With the plug?