Well Here goes Nothing....

Hello Fellow Skeeter owners.

I am a current owner of a skeeter 1982 something model its 16 ft and it has now become to small. So I found a semi project boat for 3k that im going to pick up. Its a 1991 Skeeter 200sx. Some work has already been completed on it.

All New wiring
    New bildge pumps
    New livewell pumps and hoses

Things it needs:
    Clear coat sanded down/restored or wrapped
    new carpet
    Seats re covered

The guy had it listed for 4500 and I got him down to 3k. Will do onsite compression test on the old merc, he says it runs tip top. Can anyone tell me anything about this boat? Issues to look for little quirks etc. The work it needs seems lite in nature and should be pretty easy.

Looking at the pics below , I was thinking I couls restore the shine by acetone wipe down, rubbing compound, polish and wax.. or should I just have it wrapped? Also I couldnt make out what model merc it has. Its a 175hp and he bought this boat and another as projects got to deep in the other so thats why he is selling this.

Im on a limited budget need a bigger boat thought this was the right one needs little TLC to bring it back .. Thoughts, Suggestions?

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Craig White
    The motor looks to be older than the boat. Just looking at the motor decals. I like the deck layout on the boat

3. Member
    If it's original, blue trim on motor I believe was in the 70's. Good luck some of those motors run forever.

4. Member
    That motor is def OLD.....and loves to consume fuel.

A THOROUGH inspection of the transom etc is a must. You don't want to end up with a boat that needs a new transom, stringers etc.

Are you keeping your current boat until the resto is done on the new(to you) boat?

FYI: Horsepower ratings pre-1984 were at the crank...not the prop. So subtract about 15%...which equates to a more modern 150hp
    Last edited by StarcraftSS; 04-29-2017 at 09:36 PM.

5. Member
    Im selling my boat to get this one. I paid 2k for the one i have now using that towards this.

I asked about transom and the floor he said both were solid. I am planning on beefing up the transom anyways as a precaution and to extend the life. yeah I figured the real world motor rating on that old merc would be about 150 which is fine Im not looking to break any speed records.

Just need a bigger boat. I fish mainly local lakes but would like to get out on erie maybe even someday get into semi pro/pro...

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioBassGuy View Post

I asked about transom and the floor he said both were solid.
    Trusting what a seller says is a big "no-no" imo. Many sellers are liars....and many will honestly have no idea if the transom is rotten. It's a touch suspicious that the seller would come down from $4500 all the way to $3000. He's either desperate for cash...or knows that something's wrong with the boat/motor.

Any idea why the guy is selling the boat? The cosmetics are no big issue if you are handy, but the condition of the motor and transom should be your biggest concerns. Check the lower unit oil for water and/or metal shavings(on the drain screw magnet).

If at all possible...take it for a sea trail. A compression test is fine but won't tell you if the motor is firing on all cylinders and/or if it overheats etc. when under load.

Do your best to climb all over/under/inside the boat to check for.....rot, hull damage, bad wiring, frozen steering cable etc. Also make sure all trailer lights work and that bearings are in good shape and greased properly.

Sorry to be so negative/suspicious.....just would hate for you to jump at the larger boat....and end up buying a money pit. Good luck!

7. Member
    He bought 2 project boats. This one and a ranger. He is selling this one because he sunk alot into the ranger and needs to finish it up.

Yes when i go down to look at it, I will check all of those items out. he heemed and hawed about the price i offered but when i explained what i have to add to the boat, trolling motor, batts, new electronics, rubbing compounds etc. he agreed. I mean I know it wont be perfect by any means as long as it floats and runs those are the 2 main issues. Figure I could have it fish ready in a month. But I will crawl all over it before handing any cash over. Skeeter is my fav brand boat, I know they hold up well. As long as it it solid this is a good way to jump from small boat to big boat. couple of nice lowrance screens would look nice on that figure 10 inch in the console and the bow would look sweet. Put a minn kota wireless troller on the front, some elbow grease on the gel coat, it wont be perfect but it will be a fine looking boat.I will keep the thread up to date still have to sell the old boat first.

8. Member
    I would save up and get something that has had better care taken of it. when a boat looks like its been through hell, you can bet it HAS been through hell.

you ma be that guy who doesn't mind but I would pass

9. Member
    just check the stringers good in the bilge,tap them with a soft hammer,if they sound hollow at all,its rotten.one of the design flaws of the pre-composite Skeeters(and ALOT of others)is the glass around the rear of the stringers,where it meets the transom and the top cap of the transom,once the moisture finds a way in,it will rot all the way up to the front.soft spot in the floor much beyond the drain in the floor is another indicator of rot.ive got two sitting at my place now that are totally rotten.if they spend much of there life outside,they are more than likely rotten after 20+ years.

10. Member
    well i got him down to 1500 on the boat. Im going to look at it this saturday. I will bring small set of tools with me to check out the stringers and transom. really everything in the pics is cosmetic i found a product that will clean the gel coat up after a wet sand. The boat has all new wiring and pumps and hoses.. so we will see. Im a big guy 280 if it supports my fat arse walking around and not feel like i have to step gingerly then i might be alright. But will hear it run , check compression and the transom and stringers. for 1500 i might have found a good deal. i have my trolling motor and electronics to put on it.. i will post more later this weekend

Heck, for 1500 bucks i would probably take a chance on it if it's what you need. Looks like it would make a nice rig with a little elbow grease.

12. Member
    here is a dumb question..(im new to boat ownership) what importance does a "jack plate" serve?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioBassGuy View Post
    here is a dumb question..(im new to boat ownership) what importance does a "jack plate" serve?
    Skeeter recommended not putting a jack plate on the SX model hulls.

14. Member
    Hello guys Im back.. Just been busy with work and coach pitch ball with my son.. So I got the boat for 1500!!!! and it was a freakin steal.. The transom, stringers and floor solid as a rock.

The top cap is heavy heavy oxidation.. I took 600 grit wet sand and didnt even phase it.. Im going to try 400 and just sand until my arms fall off.

Going to need new carpet that is forsure. I need new livewell selector switch "open/Closed" each side has its own and the plastic was so old and brittle they just fell apart when i touched them. Not sure where to find those.. I was thinking I would just put an in line 3/4 valve in each hose under the back deck lid and just do it manually and use the holes where the plastic switch were to install courtesy lighting.

The motor is a 1979 mercury 175 hp. 25 inch shaft And it runs strong.. but needed a new poppet valve and water pump. Those parts arrived today in the mail. T Stats were still good I checked for spec. I replaced the feed tubes and thats it motor is ready. I have a 1 inch aluminium plate being made so that i can raise the motor up on the transom by 4 inches. My local dealer might have a used jack plate for me. dealer said even though its long shaft the boat should plane just fine.

The boat does have all new wiring, new bildge pump new livewell pumps and aerators and new hoses. the boat trailer is in excellent shape. all the lights work needs a new spare but all bearings were greased and still very very good. I can not believe i lucked into this.

Next year she is getting all new carpet and a newer motor. Would like to get the merc off and get a johnson or evinrude on there. like a late 80's or early 90's model so i can still mix gas and avoid that direct inject stuff. Will post more pics this weekend..

I had a 1990 Skeeter 175 DF that would friggin fly with the 175 Black Max on the back. I would highly recommend a Sea Star to replace the dual steer cables. If you can find a Black Max Merc....get it. Those are hot rods and use a lot less gas and oil than my 2001 Merc 200 EFI does now it seems. Odd I know.

16. Member
    As I become more familiar with the Merc, I might open my pallete a bit to consider one. You say the Black Max. I dont have to much experience with mercs i guess whatever the pocket book will afford me. I will have about 4500 to spend but need new carpet as well. where is the best place to look for used outboards?

I am no expert and only know about the one I had. From what I was told, Black Max was a factory hot-rodded version Merc made. It was a carb'd motor that would flat out scoot my old Skeeter I had.

18. Member
    UPDATE>>>>> Im picking up a "Like NEW" 5 inch jack plate from my local merc dealer. He had a customer that bought one put it on his boat and it slowed it down so he took it off. Bought it for 200.

This will be way better then just some fabed plates. This will also work with a new motor next year, Plus, I can now turn the 25 inch shaft into a 20 which will be alot better for my setup were as with the plates I was only going to get a 3 & 3/4 inch lift on the transom with this i get 5.