Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    First pics never showed up - second set (post #9) worked.

2. Member
    Got up this AM and checked on the piece I tried the plasti dip on. Not gonna lie im contemplating using it. I want to do some abrasion tests and what not but from what I can tell it seems legit. Im a little concerned about how to create a good clean line on the back side that would allow me to remove in sheets when the time comes to re coat. I noticed that the tape when being pulled wanted to lift the edges of the coating rather than creating a clean edge.

Should be able to tape and mask off backside, then carefully score the paint/tape edge with a razor knife if needed prior to pulling tape. A bit of peeling on the the back shouldn't hurt.

4. Member
    I don't want to be rude but why do you car about taping the back of the panel? Spray it and let it feather out on the back side. the smaller parts like my dash and the trim I basically encased the whole thing in it. If you have to repair or respray just scratch on the edge and start peeling. If you put 4-5 coats it will tear and peel easier. I just think you are putting too much time into worrying about how to get it off instead of getting it on. I tried to make it more like a one piece cover to prevent the edges from peeling back.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MIBASS View Post
    I don't want to be rude but why do you car about taping the back of the panel? Spray it and let it feather out on the back side. the smaller parts like my dash and the trim I basically encased the whole thing in it. If you have to repair or respray just scratch on the edge and start peeling. If you put 4-5 coats it will tear and peel easier. I just think you are putting too much time into worrying about how to get it off instead of getting it on. I tried to make it more like a one piece cover to prevent the edges from peeling back.

Well ive never used the stuff but I wanted to avoid a situation where I couldnt get it to peel. I thought that it might be better if there was a definite edge on the back side that I could peel if needed. I fear that if feathered i will not be able to get it off in larger sheets.

As I said I have no idea as I havent had enough time to experiment.

6. Member
    Anyone know the nest place to get hydroturff. My boat has a couple pieces that are on the rear left and right corner that seems sorta like the same thing. It might be a little thinner but has the diamond crosshatch pattern. Also anyone know the best way to cut it. I remember trying to cut some pieces to fit years ago and had a heck of a time. Couldnt seem to cut it with scissors and wasnt steady enough to get a clean accurate by hand with razor blade.

Was thinking about a smaller fine tooth blade in my band saw set to high.

http://www.stewartssurestep.com/shop/sure-step/ makes some different patterned tread mats, available on Amazon.

I've used tin snips to cut similar rubber mat, but I like the band-saw idea.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MIBASS View Post
    Hi I have a 2000 21ss which had a lot of sun damage to the hi density foam. I tried to fix it with black spray paint, which looked good for a week and flaked off. Here is what I did and they look factory. Any loose black coating sand off with a 300 sandpaper. Any of the crack or imperfections fill in with a bathroom caulk. Smear it in a little above the area to be fixed. Once dry sand smooth and spray with Plastidip. I put on about 5 coats. When you spray hit the sides and backs around corners. This will come out like factory if you sand and fill spots. As for the side panel to come off, I think there is a set screw on the bottom of the throttle hand, loosen and the will come off. Hope this helps. I did my side panel the dash, the from piece by trolling motor and trim on councel. Could not be happier with results.
    What kind of caulk did you use that you could sand? I dont really have any cracks but I have some areas I would like to smooth.

9. Member
    For anyone curious or working on something similar I found a filler that seems to do the trick. Its sold at auto paint shops and is called Masticplast. It is a specialty filler for plastics thats designed to stay flexible while also being sandable.

The guy at the store said you could pratcally bend the stuff in half without breaking. I thought to myself yeah right. After using it and taking the left overs to experiment with he was right . You can bend the stuff into a complete circle

Im sure in time it loses some of that flexiblity but the side panels wont see that kind of abuse.

10. Member
    How did you end up getting the side panel off? I am in the process of doing the exact same thing, and having a hard time gettting the drivers side, side panel off. THanks!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12