Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. BBC SPONSOR Smoky Mountain Jigs's Avatar
    I got that screw back really close. So i did set the motor @4 degrees at idle rpms around 850. In forward timing was also @4 degrees atdc. Ran great. Jumped up on plane. Amazed how it did. 1 problem though. Maxed out pretty much 4600 rpms and gps speed 51. The boat is a 20ft 400 se javelin and the motor is a 225 vindicator. So it should atleast be around low to mid 60's right? Im getting closer though. Prop to pad is 3.5 " and the prop is a 25 renegade. I dont think any of that will make up over 10 mph.
    Chris Owenby Owner
    Smoky Mountain Jigs.com
    Hand Tied Jigs, Spinnerbaits and much more
    2000 Skeeter zx202c - 200 Yamaha Vmax OX66 VX200TLRY

2. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Raker

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Let me get you a static measurement for the WOT stop. Now that you've got the timing down. Pull the air box back off and apply WOT with the motor not running and make sure ALL the throttle plates are opening fully. they should be 90* perpendicular to the carb bodies.

4. BBC SPONSOR Smoky Mountain Jigs's Avatar
    Ok ill take a picture of them
    Chris Owenby Owner
    Smoky Mountain Jigs.com

5. BBC SPONSOR Smoky Mountain Jigs's Avatar
    Forgot to take the picture but they all open fully. When you look into each carb the plates are straight not off to the left or right. I did adjust the top stop screw under the flywheel to get it @18 degrees at 5000. I did it the scary way unfortunately. I dont a test prop. So what i did was i took off my prop and back the boat in until the mid section was submerged. Reved it in neutral up to 5k. And i got to to 18 degrees. It helped but something still aint right. It hit 56 gps. 4900-5000 rpms max. Any more ideas
    Chris Owenby Owner
    Smoky Mountain Jigs.com

6. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoky Mountain Jigs View Post
    Forgot to take the picture but they all open fully. When you look into each carb the plates are straight not off to the left or right. I did adjust the top stop screw under the flywheel to get it @18 degrees at 5000. I did it the scary way unfortunately. I dont a test prop. So what i did was i took off my prop and back the boat in until the mid section was submerged. Reved it in neutral up to 5k. And i got to to 18 degrees. It helped but something still aint right. It hit 56 gps. 4900-5000 rpms max. Any more ideas
    If I'm not mistaken ..the engine needs a load on it to check high speed timing....

7. BBC SPONSOR Smoky Mountain Jigs's Avatar
    Well that way i did it definitely wasnt a load
    Chris Owenby Owner
    Smoky Mountain Jigs.com

8. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    What is your prop to pad Chris? Bring it up to ~3.5" below the pad and run it to WOT. Full trim and let us know the RPM's and water pressure.

9. BBC SPONSOR Smoky Mountain Jigs's Avatar
    Ok it will be a few days. Ill have to get a guage when i put that brass fitting on and put the line back on it doesnt show anything. Prop is set @3.5 right now. I did have it trimmed really high yesterday, it made a pretty big rooster tail. Ive heard that you dont want the rooster tail to be higher then the motor. 5000 rpms is as far as it got. Whats the max rpm range for this motor? You think the prop and maybe prop to pad would make the difference.
    Chris Owenby Owner
    Smoky Mountain Jigs.com

10. BBC SPONSOR Smoky Mountain Jigs's Avatar
    Also i should have said the prop is a 25 renegade
    Chris Owenby Owner
    Smoky Mountain Jigs.com

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    5000-6000

12. BBC SPONSOR Smoky Mountain Jigs's Avatar
    So im still way off. To do the max spark advance timing do i need to get a test wheel or can i do it with that prop.
    Chris Owenby Owner
    Smoky Mountain Jigs.com

13. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Best to have a shop do that one. Flywheels eat flesh.

14. BBC SPONSOR Smoky Mountain Jigs's Avatar
    Im gonna have a shop to do the max advance timing. Any other things to check? Heres a couple of questions. What about that barb at the gas tank with the ball? If the lower unit was geared different would it still not let the motor get up to max rpm range? And when i bought this prop 25 renegade, it had a thrust washer with it. It didnt fit the shaft. I went to a prop shop and they told me the thrust washer was for a v4. Do they make a v4 renegade or a renegade for v4s and v6s. Thanks guys
    Chris Owenby Owner
    Smoky Mountain Jigs.com

15. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    The Rakers and Renegades use two different thrust washers. There should be a number stamped on the side of it.

16. BBC SPONSOR Smoky Mountain Jigs's Avatar
    Ok fred im back finally. I havent had alot of time to try alot of stuff yet. I did tonight however. I started it on muffs and i hooked the timing light up. On starboard side looking at the back of the motor all 3 of the wires made the timing light up. On the port side only the top cylinder made the light up but the bottom 2 didnt. I swapped the coil to the middle one and then started it back up and the middle was firing then. So i then swapped it out with the bottom one and started it back and then the bottom one made the light up. So im assuming the other 2 coild are bad? Another question. When i started it back up it sounded like it wasnt gonna start in a way and sounded different then the water temp light came on. I turned it off. Cranked it back up and it did the exact same thing. I dont know the water pressure because i couldnt find the right elbow for the water pressure guage.
    Chris Owenby Owner
    Smoky Mountain Jigs.com

17. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Looks like you are getting a handle on it Chris. Better off in a tub or barrel. You don't need the elbow, you can use a brass fitting. Just tape the threads. If I remember it is 1/8" NPT. Take the old one with you.

18. BBC SPONSOR Smoky Mountain Jigs's Avatar
    Thanks fred im slowly getting there. I am right on thinking about the 2 coils right? Im also gonna replace the water pump. I see so many things about what all glues or adhesives to use, what do you recommend. Thanks again fred for all your help
    Chris Owenby Owner
    Smoky Mountain Jigs.com

19. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    For the water pump http://bassboatcentral.com/johnrudetips.htm

Yep as long as you get fire to every plug you've move the coil to that would be the correct logic.

20. BBC SPONSOR Smoky Mountain Jigs's Avatar
    Ok fred ill go by the above sticky for the pump thanks man. So i hooked back up to the muffs to see if it started better aince its been 2 days. It started fine but it sounded the water temp alarm as soon as i started it. No way it got near up to temp that fast. Is it like a car once u set a code off you have to clear it or something? I took off the tell tale and screwed the water hose in it and turned it on. The hoses to the thermostats didnt have any water coming out of them. I unbolted the blow off valve and turned it back on. I took a couple of minutes but water came sparying of of that hole good. I bolted it back it on and turned the water back on nothing came out of it even after waiting like 10 minutes. Maybe my water doesnt have enough pressure to push that blow off valve in to push the water out. But with that water temp light back on as soon as i start it is weird
    Chris Owenby Owner
    Smoky Mountain Jigs.com

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast