Helix 12 Mega Chirp SI Interference

HB sent me a ferrite ring and I could only get 3 wraps with the transducer cord. Is this enough? I seem to remember Doug's video saying you should be able to get 6 wraps, but there's no way I can with this cord.

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

Quote Originally Posted by champ93 View Post
    HB sent me a ferrite ring and I could only get 3 wraps with the transducer cord. Is this enough? I seem to remember Doug's video saying you should be able to get 6 wraps, but there's no way I can with this cord.
    That was with the regular transducer cable. The MEGA is larger--has the extra DI circuit.

"enough" is what works. It can be 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 or more depending on the ring size and cable size. It may not work at all. The ferrite ring is just one of dozens of possible RFI remedies.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Ahh ok, thank you. If I turn the trolling motor on and still see interference on my side scan (while boat is in garage) is that a fair assessment that I still have interference? Or, do I need to do it on the water? Because I did that and it still showed interference.

Ahh ok, thank you. If I turn the trolling motor on and still see interference on my side scan (while boat is in garage) is that a fair assessment that I still have interference? Or, do I need to do it on the water? Because I did that and it still showed interference.
    No, has to be on the water with the trolling motor deployed to see what RFI you have.

You can try a larger diameter ferrite ring of the correct mix if needed. Mix 77 here: http://kf7p.com/KF7P/Ferrite_chokes.html
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    My RFI appears as horizontal bands scrolling down the screen when I hit the pedal on the TM. It's fine when I dont use the TM. What do you mean by the "correct mix" when referring to the ferrite ring? Mix 77 is what I need? I have a motorguide tour 24v TM.

My RFI appears as horizontal bands scrolling down the screen when I hit the pedal on the TM. It's fine when I dont use the TM. What do you mean by the "correct mix" when referring to the ferrite ring? Mix 77 is what I need? I have a motorguide tour 24v TM.
    Yes, Mix 77. Get two of them in the 240 size.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    No, has to be on the water with the trolling motor deployed to see what RFI you have.

You can try a larger diameter ferrite ring of the correct mix if needed. Mix 77 here: http://kf7p.com/KF7P/Ferrite_chokes.html
    I bought the largest 77 they had and managed only 4 wraps with the solix Mega si Cable.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex