Kistler, Dobyns, Megabass?

Im needing a Heavy rod for flipping, throwing med swim baits and few frogs. I know all these aren't ideal with one rod, but Im going to have to make due with one. Looking for a 2oz + rod, 7'6" max. I own two Kistler lighter rods and Im very happy with them, but I can't say Im not intrigued by these others.

Anyone have any input on these? thanks

Dobyns 765 would fit the bill nicely I have used it for those exact purposes in the past. Think the MB Valdiva would also work from reviews I've read, have no personal experience with it though.
    2008 Stratos 294 XL
    2008 Evinrude etec 200 HP H.O.

Every rod I use is one of those three brands. Do you have a dollar amount you don't want to exceed?

4. Member
    I use a dobyns 795 flip for flipping/pitching, punching, and frogs. It works great and balance is unbelievable for a 7'9" rod. I'm sure the 765 is the same way.

5. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Yesterday I ordered a Megabass Orochi 7'2" H Perfect Pitch for the same uses as you are looking for. I was finally able to have one in my hand yesterday and I plunked one of my Tatula CTs on it. The rod was very light, balanced at where the cork and the blank meet and it felt like a rod I could frog with all day.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

6. Member
    I know it's not on your list but check out the iRod Freds Magic Stick. It's designed for those techniques.

Looking to keep it under $300. I really like Dobyns warranty and all the good info I have read here on them, but I can't say they would have any better feel or sensitivity than a Kistler or a Mega offering. I really have been happy with my Helium III's, but my med/heavy casting rods grip is just a tad too small diameter. I have already checked and the Heavy version comes with a bigger dia. grip. Maybe I should just keep with what I have, but you know, the grass is always greener.

8. Member
    Can't beat the MB Perfect Pitch IMO- I have one and it is the best frog rod I've used by a long shot. Feels like it'd be great for heavy jigs and punching as well, for which I also plan to use it.

The Dobyns 736 would be my choice. That rod is an absolute beast! Would suit those techniques perfectly.