Grand lake st marys

I fished it for the fist time today and only caught one bass all day what is the key to success any info would very much be appreciated. And why is the lake so toxic green color is?

2. Member
    The lake has no flow and is the drainage for a very large amount of surrounding farm land. Hence the constant algae problem. However, there are some toads in there.
    2016 Phoenix 819 Pro 200 Mercury Pro XS

3. Member
    OK thanks that does give me some confidence it look like to me that little Chickasaw erea was best fish looking and did catch my one their.

I fished that lake for several years in BFL. It always mystified me, too. It seems that 90% or more of the fish are caught in the canals. For some reasons, several canals can look identical, but one will be loaded with fish and the others will be barren. Except for a few areas with laydown trees, I usually fished with my best finesse tactics.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

5. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Despite its overall size, St. Mary's is all about fishing backwaters. There are quite a few of those, but as the lake gets older and more developed, some backwater areas get increasingly silted in (soft bottom), and others have fishy banks replaced with concrete. So in a sense, it fishes small, and the most successful tactic often is more spot-oriented than pattern-oriented. Frequent tournaments, also, especially in the spring, keep moving the keeper bass population around. That's bass fishing in Ohio, pretty much!
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    Despite its overall size, St. Mary's is all about fishing backwaters. There are quite a few of those, but as the lake gets older and more developed, some backwater areas get increasingly silted in (soft bottom), and others have fishy banks replaced with concrete. So in a sense, it fishes small, and the most successful tactic often is more spot-oriented than pattern-oriented. Frequent tournaments, also, especially in the spring, keep moving the keeper bass population around. That's bass fishing in Ohio, pretty much!
    This^, and the next few weeks will be on!