Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

power poles down while running

Don't take this the wrong way but I have to ask this question for the Power Pole guys. I was looking at the rough day pictures on Bassmasters.com and noticed a couple of boats with power poles that looked like they had fell partially down or even in Chris Lane's boat it looks like they were deployed by something? I know they drive boats harder than most in rough conditions but what is causing them to do what they were doing? I have talons but that looks scary to be in that kind of water and poles deploying without knowledge especially trying to drive in that rough mess and beat the check in clock. Not a debate just wondering if anyone knows what is going on. Everyone always asks which do you prefer? I do not know that I would want poles after seeing this but I'm sure someone has talons that have done the same thing.

https://www.bassmaster.com/slideshow/rough-ride-rez

2. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Just looked thru all the pics only seen 2 boats with partial deployment, believe pic 19 ( not sure who it is) and Chris Lanes boat, looks to me like Chris has his intentionally done, guess Chris would be the one to tell you why. The other boat looks like he may have not fully raised his up before taking off , or maybe some other reason cant say for sure. Poles do not come down without your knowledge unless there is a leak down in the hydraulic system or another Mechanical problem. Rest assured its not a "pole" issue. and should not be read into as a reason not to own poles.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    Just looked thru all the pics only seen 2 boats with partial deployment, believe pic 19 ( not sure who it is) and Chris Lanes boat, looks to me like Chris has his intentionally done, guess Chris would be the one to tell you why. The other boat looks like he may have not fully raised his up before taking off , or maybe some other reason cant say for sure. Poles do not come down without your knowledge unless there is a leak down in the hydraulic system or another Mechanical problem. Rest assured its not a "pole" issue. and should not be read into as a reason not to own poles.
    I wondered the same thing as why they would deploy....I wondered if it had to do with the switches on the front getting hit by massive amounts of water over the bow(not sure if you double tap or just single to deploy) being it was so rough but never had nor used them so I was asking for that specific reason and I know you are a dealer and typically answer questions relatively quick on here. Thanks for the response and I said only a couple of boats but it just looked freaky to be in that kind of water and them either partially or fully deploying. I'm sure as I said talons have probably done the same thing just never seen a photo of it.

most likely they left them that way to avoid having to listen to the annoying pole slap all the way back in that rough water
    2017 Phoenix 919 Pro-XP 225 Mercury Pro-XS

5. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Foot switches are double tap to deploy, push and hold to deploy and stop at any position, (same on the retract) so would have nothing to do with water coming over bow. I have raised mine up by not double tapping and because you are not double tapping you stop them before they are fully retracted and will look just like pic 19. Chris as we know is a straight up Powerpole guy(main sponsor). I really believe he had his deployed for a reason maybe like outriggers on larger vessels in rough seas, trying to provide him with some stabilization. I put mine down fishing in rough water and they will act like outriggers and help stabilize your boat. Without either asking Chris himself or actually trying it ( you wont catch me out in stuff that rough) im guessing we will never really know. Pretty safe bet to say, he knew and was well aware. Scary stuff to have to run in however we all will agree on that.

6. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BASS24-7 View Post
    most likely they left them that way to avoid having to listen to the annoying pole slap all the way back in that rough water
    No pole slap with blades....

7. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Will say what I did notice in looking at all those pics was how many pros are running the Russell Marine Products light on there poles. Congrats to my bud Justin on a great product not only for us Powerpole guys but for Talon owners as well.

8. Member
    Foot switches are double tap to deploy, push and hold to deploy and stop at any position, (same on the retract) so would have nothing to do with water coming over bow. I have raised mine up by not double tapping and because you are not double tapping you stop them before they are fully retracted and will look just like pic 19. Chris as we know is a straight up Powerpole guy(main sponsor). I really believe he had his deployed for a reason maybe like outriggers on larger vessels in rough seas, trying to provide him with some stabilization. I put mine down fishing in rough water and they will act like outriggers and help stabilize your boat. Without either asking Chris himself or actually trying it ( you wont catch me out in stuff that rough) im guessing we will never really know. Pretty safe bet to say, he knew and was well aware. Scary stuff to have to run in however we all will agree on that.
    Thank you for the clarifications... As I originally said I did not know so I asked and I added the quote of "not a debate" just asking because I had no idea. I fish the TN river system which consists of KY Lake, Guntersville, Chickamauga, and also Wheeler which can and will get that rough and rougher at times is the reasoning behind my post. My talon switch is double tap down but once for up.

9. Member
    Will say what I did notice in looking at all those pics was how many pros are running the Russell Marine Products light on there poles. Congrats to my bud Justin on a great product not only for us Powerpole guys but for Talon owners as well.

10. Member
    If you have not seen the pictures look at the FLW Beaver Lake log jam... Nasty looking stuff their too.

https://www.flwfishing.com/news/2017...d-up-by-debris

11. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tmapes225 View Post
    If you have not seen the pictures look at the FLW Beaver Lake log jam... Nasty looking stuff their too.

https://www.flwfishing.com/news/2017...d-up-by-debris
    Anyone in the market for a "used" pro boat after seeing these threads?? lol

12. Member
    Anyone in the market for a "used" pro boat after seeing these threads?? lol

13. Member
    I get pole slap with my blades.... just sayin

14. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rampaage View Post
    I get pole slap with my blades.... just sayin
    Guess I haven't been in rough enough water, with the pole tuck away on the blades I have yet experience any pole slap at all.

15. Member
    I noticed the same thing. I know from experience that if you have a finicky system that seems to hold pressure well but after a week you notice you have some play in them, they come down in rough water. Makes sense since most of the Pro boats that I've seen still have the black and blue plastic hoses which more more susceptible to pin hole leaks than the new hoses (I'd imagine at least...too soon for me to tell if my new blades with hoses are more resistant to pressure bleed off or not). It shouldn't happen, and I'd say those who had the poles down were not intentional or accidental deployment, much more likely that they have a leak in the system. Especially Lane's which were half down...you know they are half down when getting on plane and first start running. I've had the blue plastic line crack on me in rough water before and the pole doesn't go all the way down into the water, the spike/pole shell kind of skips on the surface and stays about half way up...exactly like Lane's looked. When I stopped it fell all the way, but under power mine looked like Lane's.

Just my take, though.

16. Member
    Personally, they looked like they were down some due to pressure loss, as in bleed back through pump /check valve etc.

Kudos to Power Pole for using the photo's quickly though as part of PR campaign to make it look like it was all intentional. Saw that just today floating around. :)

17. Member
    ^^Where's you see that at?

18. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

19. Member
    ^^^That's the one there

20. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    What is "They feature drive-off protection" they talk about?? Is there an alarm that can be installed??
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast