Gold vs Plat. warr.

My new to me 2014 Triton 2014 250 Pro xs 2B088516 (30 hours) had Mercury war. till 4-1-2017. It ran out before I bought it. It had Gold till 4-1-2019. Is this good? Can I change it to Platnum? I messaged Don but wondered what you guys think. Thanks Mark

2. Member
    Highly recommend changing it to platinum if you are still eligible to do so.

Contact Don for options. Gold is better than nothing but sucks compared to Platinum.
    Last edited by 06 SB; 04-30-2017 at 01:34 PM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    after 3 years from the first owners registration you can not upgrade or buy any more warranty from merc.

5. Member
    get plat,get plat,get plat.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vicsservice View Post
    after 3 years from the first owners registration you can not upgrade or buy any more warranty from merc.
    +1... ANY Product Protection must be purchased during the FACTORY Warranty Period. Once the Factory Warranty expires, NO FURTHER Product Protection can be purchased.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Who was saying that IF a certified Merc Tech. inspected the motor and approved it's condition as good then extended war. could be purchased? Somebody on here posted that even though Don says NO.

8. mikesxpress
    Doesn't matter who said it. They were wrong.

9. Member
    Even if 5 days out of factory...no go. Been there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mon Mariner View Post
    Who was saying that IF a certified Merc Tech. inspected the motor and approved it's condition as good then extended war. could be purchased? Somebody on here posted that even though Don says NO.
    I vaguely remember that thread. IIRC, it was on a certified preowned motor and/or a remanufactered powerhead installed by a certified Mercury tech.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

11. Member
    The gold warranty is a joke! Why mercury does that is beyond me. Actually its another fleecing us the customer because they have to buy the upgraded warranty that they should be getting in the first place
    "Luminous beings are we not this crude matter." Yoda

12. Member
    Gold didn't cost me a cent and it's definitely better than no warranty at all 3yrs. If you want extended warranty Platinum is the one to get. I talked to Don, weighed the risk, and chose not to upgrade before original factory warranty expired. The only warranty work I've needed on my engine was covered completely under Gold with no hassle whatsoever and at no cost to me. At 8yrs of ownership, I'd have "wasted" $$ upgrading to Platinum. My $.02 from the other side.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

13. Member
    I'm with you Phil......Since I do all my own work, I keep my money (Platinum Warranty) in my pocket. If I have a problem I buy the parts and fix it.

Warranties have their place for some people, I'm just not one of them. I never buy a warranty for any products that I purchase.

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Just to clarify, we're not talking about WARRANTIES here.

Gold and Platinum are PRODUCT PROTECTION PLANS. There is a significant difference.

All that being said- Platinum is the way to go. I've even bought it for my own engines.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor