Thread: 797 it is

797 it is

It won't be a bust. It will be a 797!

Jason Blake in Corsicana, Texas, at Blake's Boats, is today ordering a 797 for me. I finally pulled the trigger. It was quite an experience. I really struggled between the Bass Cat Caracal and the Charger 797. Both are all composite, 96 inch beam boats. Both companies have been building boats for a long time. And you don't stay in business that long not doing things right. My decision was part price, part experience with the product, part listening to guys such as yourself on boards like this, and last part, just a gut feeling that bigger is better. The 797 has to be my choice. I want the safest, most stable ride on the water, and the most stable, fishable front deck. I, like some of you, will be in rough water, as Lake Falcon, down on our southern border with Mexico, gets bad rough at times, and you might have a long ride back to the ramp. Same with Choke Canyon Reservoir. Those are my big water fisheries. I will fish a couple power plant lakes where the 797 will be overkill.

I do not need tournament speeds, as I do not fish tournaments. I need quality. And, having owned a Charger in the past (2006 model 496), I know the quality of a Charger. I am going with a Mercury Pro XS because that is what the 496 had on it, and it was flawless. I am going with the Ultrex 112, and Lowrance 12 and 9 3D electronics. Dual console. No power poles, as I seldom fish shallow enough to use them. No Hydrowave. No radio, speakers, forward looking infrared radar (huh?), no heated seats. No boat wrap, offset deck lids, lighted grab handles, etc.

I will have a four inch thick transom, a 70 inch wide place to stand and fish, a boat I can trust, a console for a partner to huddle behind, and a tandem axle trailer for the long runs down to Falcon. (2.5 hours each way). Most people REALLY have to want to go to Falcon, as it is isolated down there. But, when you have experienced it, you will go back!

I highly recommend Jason Blake at Blake's Boats. I have never met him in person. But I have never had such a pleasant, honest, up-front business dealing. He is quick to email or text answers to all of my questions. I hope to be a good representative for him and for Charger down here in South Texas. The Bass Cat dealer in San Antonio, Texas, who will remain nameless, was fantastic as well. He spent a very long time building and pricing a Caracal for me, and I feel really bad that he did not get my business. But, he deserved it.

I'm glad to be back into the bass fishing business after about a six year absence. (well, I will be in about 8-10 weeks, anyway). I have the best of both worlds. Bass fishing and shallow water kayaking for Redfish along the gulf coast. And I am really fired about soon running a Charger again. I remember some of you guys from six years ago. Hello again.

2. Member
    Charger faihful staying with Charger.

Wayne at The Boat Shop in San Antonio is a good guy and would understand. They sell a good amount of Cats. Have fun.
    Last edited by Sports1; 04-28-2017 at 02:46 PM.

3. Member
    Congrats and that was a great post!

4. Member
    Congrats!! Can't wait to see pix once you get it! If I ever get another boat I think it would be a 797 too.
    2014 Charger 496 / Merc 250 Pro XS

5. Charger Rep. Texas/La
    You have chosen well, I am the rep in Texas and La. for Charger and if I can be of any assistance please contact me here. Blake's boats are the best and will take care of you after the sale.
    Thanks for your purchase,
    Thurman

6. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    You will be very happy with every aspect of the 797.

7. Member
    Congratulations on your choice. Keep us posted.

8. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HondaRay View Post
    Congratulations on your choice. Keep us posted.
    Ditto ...

9. Member
    You will not regret that decision. Excellent choice. I love mine.

10. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Great Choice, just keep the Mrs happy and you'll enjoy the boat a very long time!!!

11. Member
    Nice man... I'm jealous for sure. Don't forget to update us with pics when it is in. You'll have a massive joker smile that's permanent I'm sure.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sports1 View Post
    Charger faihful staying with Charger.

Wayne at The Boat Shop in San Antonio is a good guy and would understand. They sell a good amount of Cats. Have fun.
    I wonder if Wayne could become a Charger dealer? I met him and I really liked him, I don't say that about many people. Great guy to talk to. Nothing against Blakes Boats because his post seem really helpful & respectful, but I'd sure like to have a dealer closer to us.

13. Member
    Wayne used to be a Charger and Basscat dealer. Decided to go straight Basscat a few years ago.

14. Member
    Thanks for the kind word, guys. I will post a picture when I can. TOC, all of the posts, pictures, videos and such of the 797 that you post has helped Charger sell another one. The Dorris' ought to be paying you!

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lasalle155 View Post
    Thanks for the kind word, guys. I will post a picture when I can. TOC, all of the posts, pictures, videos and such of the 797 that you post has helped Charger sell another one. The Dorris' ought to be paying you!
    He gets free boats!

16. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    I wish it worked like that my old 2000 is getting up there .

17. Charger Rep. Texas/La
    No free boats from Charger, not even for the reps.

Can't go wrong with the 797. Excellent boat and I like the way you are getting it built....That would be the same way I would have mine built. Be sure to post pics once she is Built.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO