Thread: V20 fuel gauge

Smile V20 fuel gauge

Does the V20 fuel gauge stay on full longer due to the flat tank? I've never been able to get my gauge to come off of full, but it will fault to empty if I hit the aux tank button. (I don't have the aux tank) I always stop at the station and get fuel on my way to the lake, but it's annoying because I know in most cases, I don't need fuel. Appreciate any help.
    2015 Legend Alpha 211R 250 Merc Pro XS

2. Legend Boats Moderator
    Yes due to the design of the tank the gauge can be very inaccurate. I had the Lowrance fuel monitor installed in my boat

3. Member
    Ditto to the design issue, I was told the same by Legend. I use the Mercury Smartcraft gauge with gallons used and zero it when I completely fill the tank.

4. Member
    I use the Yamaha command link gauge with fuel used to track total gas on board.

5. Member
    I was also wondering about the gas gauge on my v20.
    It seems to bounce all over and is hard to get an accurate reading. I'll look into the lowrance fuel monitor

6. Member
    Seems like an unnecessary problem for a $65000 boat

7. Member
    None of the boats I have owned have kept very accurate fuel levels indicated. From offshore, to runabout, to bass. Neither do any of my snowmobiles or ATV's. We watch miles with the sleds, and we fill the ATV after each use.. with the boats it's fuel used..The value of having a rather shallow belly tank far out ways the gauge accuracy inconvenience for me. The boat sits flatter in the water then it would with rear tanks, it keeps a good ballast in the center-line of the boat for side to side stability, and it accommodates a huge bilge area for ease of getting to pumps, mounting batteries and pumps etc.
    Last edited by ChrisB225HO; 05-03-2017 at 03:28 PM.

8. Member
    I recall on my basscat the smart gauges gave tank levels not just gallons used. Hopefullly my new v20 will do the same.

9. Member
    Your smartcraft gauges will have a fuel consumption reading as well. I have the smart craft gauges on runabout boat. I just re-set them at each fill up. I usually run about 30 gallons of fuel on board, and when I use say 20 gallons, I re-fill back to 30 gallons. I generally don't need to pack the tank on any of the boats, because we have smaller lakes that we fish. I rarely burn more then 15 gallons, but I could do the same process if I filled the tanks to their max. I ran a number of Basscat's prior to the V20. If you want to reach out I can give you some tips for running the V20 vs Puma, Cougar 20' hulls. It took me some time, but I am totally impressed with how well the 2016 V20 I have runs.. solid solid boat!

10. Member
    Chris,
    Sent you a PM

11. Member
    I just experienced this on my new 2017 V20. The gas light was blinking on the lake so I was scared I was going to run out of gas. I thought it was kind of weird because last I checked it was over half full. So on the next trip I fill up, expecting to fill 50 gallons... I put 20 gallons in. So it wasn't even half empty yet.

Has anyone set the tanks fuel capacity to 50 gallons on your mercury gauges "assuming you are running merc" I have only put my 17 on the water on time but I came home and went through all of the calibrations on my gauges and set the fuel tank capacity to 50 gallons.. this may or may not help with the issue.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” – Hunter S Thompson

2017 V20
    2017 PRO XS

13. Member
    How accurate have you all found keeping track by gallons used. I put 30 in and it now states I used 7 gallons. Curious if anyone filled all 50 and then refilled to see how accurate the gallons used reading is.

14. Member
    According to mercury the gauge is very accurate.
    Nitro z21