Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Speaking of Fuel octane...

I have a 2004 Mercury Racing 250xs... my understanding is that it requires Super.. I always put 93 octane and not 91. Is that cool? Thx.

Dan

2. Member

3. Member
    Savage... thank you.. just really trying to clarify high test is 93 or is 91 considered high test.

4. Member
    I think Mercury calls for a minimum 91 octane for that motor. That is what my XS calls for. Therefore, it you are using 93, then you are meeting the 91 minimum requirement. The term "high test" does not have any real meaning.

5. Member
    I think high test is 91 and ethyl is 93. Either way your good!

6. Member
    Lol, have not heard the term ethyl in decades. That term comes from the additive tetrethyllead (not sure of the exact spelling) abbreviated TEL. Been no lead in gasoline in many decades. Neither term has any meaning now.

7. Member
    Anyway... 93 is good.. thx..

The term ethyl reminds me of an old Burt Reynolds movie..

8. Member
    I run 93 Shell gas at every fill up. I do get a lot of carbon build-up, even with Dons cocktail. I think I'm going to start using Seafoam instead to see if it helps.
    Champion 206
    250XB

9. Member
    No doubt putting a mixture of isopropyl alcohol and pale oil in you gas will do wonders to reduce carbon, LOL.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    No doubt putting a mixture of isopropyl alcohol and pale oil in you gas will do wonders to reduce carbon, LOL.
    I'm sensing a wee bit of Sarcasm. . I've thought Seafoam is good?

http://diysrc.com/how-to-seafoam-you...arbon-buildup/
    Last edited by NOTGSXR; 04-28-2017 at 07:15 PM.

11. Member
    Well isopropyl alcohol and pale oil may have the effect you are looking for.

12. Member
    In your opinion. Is seafoam a beneficial additive to your guel? Thx.

13. Member
    We both know my opinion is not worth one whit. I will say this though; Many of us have multi thousand dollar motors on the back of our boats. We know these motors based on decades old technology are not known for their longevity. This causes us to search for anything, any magic bullet, some product that might give us the slightest edge that might cause our motors to last just a few more hours. This search, this fear of motor failure has lead to a multi billion dollar industry. This industry through slick advertising and many times outright lies has led many down the snake oil path.
    Oil companies have spent and continue to spend tens of millions of dollars on two stroke oil chemistry. One of the unique problems of two stroke technology is that along with gasoline they burn huge amounts of lubricating oil. The oil companies have made huge advances over the last two to three decades in developing two stroke oils that mitigate some of these problems caused by the burning of lubricating oil in their combustion chambers.
    I know common sense is not real popular on BBC but consider. If these oil companies thought that the addition of a little isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) along with pale oil would have significant or in fact any benefit would they not spend the penny or two per gallon to incorporate this miraculous technology? Try this; pour a little Sea Foam in a shallow dish and set it on fire. When it is burned up look at what is left in the dish and ask yourself if burning this in your two stroke combustion chamber could in any way help reduce carbon build up or have any benefit. There MAY be some products that when burned in the combustion chamber might cause carbon to be scavenged a little better. However, I suspect if these products do exist I would wager the oil companies already know about them. Google any of these products such as Sea Foam, Marvel Mystery Oil, Stabil, their MSDS are available. Look at the ingredients and make up your own mind.
    As for me, I will just use a quality two stroke oil, fresh gasoline that meets or exceeds the minimum octane rating set by the manufacturer with the least amount of alcohol and keep my motor serviced and hope for the best.

14. Member
    Has the world beaten you into submission lol some feel that all opinions are indeed valuable. ..

The oil companies don't want to spend more money if they don't have to. If there is some additive that can theoretically help it may improve the longevity of the motor that's great..

15. Member
    Actually you might be surprised how much is spent trying to stay competitive. You can be confident the oil companies are aware of and use any additive package that makes their products work better.
    As far as my opinion, in this case it has little value. This is why I suggest that you consider the verifiable facts that are available and make up your own mind.
    The snake oil companies very existence depends on people not doing this. They must convince people that they and they alone have the secrete ingredient that will save your motor from a premature death. They trade in emotion not facts.
    Last edited by gehol; 04-29-2017 at 08:55 AM.

16. Member
    The only proven component I know of (other than water) to remove carbon deposits in the combustion chambers is PEA, (aka. Techron). It is designed to not burn during combustion and will slowly dissolve carbon deposits. Alcohol might work, like water, but it must be in large doses and it, like water, works by blasting the carbon during combustion by extreme expansion while burning. It does not survive past combustion to do any more cleaning. Water works really well but if not used just right, will cause catastrophic problems. Look at a combustion chamber that had a water leak in it, usually very clean.

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hooken203 View Post
    I think high test is 91 and ethyl is 93. Either way your good!
    Damn Hooken, you are dating yourself with the use of the word ethyl.

Did you hear about the rape down at the gas station? Someone pumped Ethyl.

18. Member
    I might have been a little bit of a wise guy with that ethyl comment. But the constant questions about 87 to 110 octane in my chainsaw are getting old. Do a search on any forum that involves engines there are 1000s of pages to read about it. Then throw ethanol in there for a few 1000 more. But yeah I do remember very vaguely seeing pumps that said ethyl.
    Last edited by hooken203; 04-30-2017 at 10:09 AM.

19. Member
    Maybe just don't read the thread, just saying.

20. Member
    Throw or through ethanol? Anyway was interested in chainsaws and proper gasoline. Did a search and came up empty. Think I will try Google.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast