Ultrex Foot Pedal Mod

So as I ponder installing a ultrex in my z7, Has anyone ever modified the pedal to fit. As I look at the diagra and pics all of the front width is just plastic. It appears you could grind or cut off a lot of dead space, staying away from the switches. another sure if enough could be done but it seems that modifying the 2000 trolling motor is a better choice then modifying the 30k boat.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ammdrew View Post
    So as I ponder installing a ultrex in my z7, Has anyone ever modified the pedal to fit. As I look at the diagra and pics all of the front width is just plastic. It appears you could grind or cut off a lot of dead space, staying away from the switches. another sure if enough could be done but it seems that modifying the 2000 trolling motor is a better choice then modifying the 30k boat.
    Hi Ammdrew;

There is a video ( here is the link ) on its possible to see an ultrex pedal inside of "normal" comfortroll. I think this recessed foot pedal is an original comfortroll. I don't know if he modified pedal base but many people says that this ultrex pedal doesn't fix in original comfortroll... take a look at video..

Regards

I'm sure that would void your warranty.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

4. Member
    The only effect warrantee would be if the modification caused the failure. They can not deny motor failure if the plastic on the foot control has been sanded.

Now if you cut cut half a switch off and want them to fix the switch...

5. Member
    That depends I guess, if they deem the extra suoport or area necessary for proper strength / use, they could indeed deny a claim. However, the pedals are very close in dimension, the only real difference being that the back or foot area of pedal is more square on the Ultrex.

This fellow here listed measurements he took in person. I have both units here and could also measure anything if needed.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=769553

Let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by ammdrew View Post
    The only effect warrantee would be if the modification caused the failure. They can not deny motor failure if the plastic on the foot control has been sanded.

Now if you cut cut half a switch off and want them to fix the switch...
    Good luck with that then.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

7. Member
    Any part that will fail will not have much to do with the bottom corners of the foot petal. So i would feel pretty safe. Marine products almost always require some rigging. I still am thinking it is a lot less intrusive then tearing up carpet, Cutting decks and purchasing more parts. Looks like it will be a month or more before they start coming back in stock....

8. Member
    I would be concerned about a warranty issue as well. I am sending back my 2nd ultrex for warranty replacement, all because of foot pedal problems. $2200 is a lot of money to spend once, they offer free warranty service for 2 years, why risk it if the likelihood of problems is better than average.

I had a Z7 with a Fortrex and if I remember right with the pedal all the way back (stern side) about a 1/3 of the pedal touches the carpet or is really close to the carpet on the sides. So I don't think it would as easy as just cutting off the corners (it might be, but I'm not sure). The Ultrex pedal is wider at that the bottom and a little narrower as it goes up to where you'd put your foot. So it might be that you only have to trim the bottom part. It could be that you have to cut out some carpet at the bottom of the sides and trim the pedal.

The next problem is that there are two buttons on the corners, one for legacy auto pilot and one for constant mode. Will cutting off the corners (or more) create a problem there?

The Ultrex pedal is also longer so it could be that you get it to fit but even all the way back the steering cable hits the bow panel shroud.

There is a member ezfisn that has a Z8 with an Ultrex that could talk more about where the pedal starts to have trouble fitting.

If it was me, I'd try to figure out if the recess is the same dimensions on the Z7, 8 and 9. If it is I'd talk to one of the guys that fabricate trays and see if they can build something that would work and look good. I'd start with the aluminum guys because you wouldn't have the cost of a mold. If you can get a few people together and pitch as a group buy that would help as well. I thought long and hard about putting a different tray in my Z7 (I wanted a deeper one) but I couldn't figure out a way to make it clean where the bow panel folds into the tray (where the plug is) so I'd have gone in on it just for a deeper tray.

10. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    I looked at doing some kind of size reduction to mine as well to get it to fit in my foot well so I removed the metal plate off the bottom and when I opened it up I put it right back together. Way too much stuff under there to go messing around with. It was not worth it
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P