Rub Rail Seal Question

Wondering if I need to remove the entire rubber seal under the rub rail or if I could re-caulk over top of the old seal? Any thoughts? The rubber sealant is on the bottom side of the rub rail. See picture below.
    P.U.S.H- Pray Until Something Happens

2. Member
    Most are made to apply sealant to the lower edge and then install. Sealant does not do anything except where the cap mates to the hull.
    Speed cost money. How fast ya wanna go? I have done so much for so long with so little. I can now do the impossible with nothing!

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldone View Post
    Most are made to apply sealant to the lower edge and then install. Sealant does not do anything except where the cap mates to the hull.
    Correct me if I am wrong but this seal is no more than a filler (damping seal)?
    P.U.S.H- Pray Until Something Happens

4. Member
    I'm sorry I didn't fully understand your question. After looking closely at your pix, it looks like this is no more than a piece of rubber/plastic covering the ugly underneath LOL. As far as repair, I guess you could fill it in the damaged areas with 3M 4200 or 5200 but I don't know that you will be able to get a very good looking repair. GL
    Speed cost money. How fast ya wanna go? I have done so much for so long with so little. I can now do the impossible with nothing!

Peel off as much of the old seal as possible. Tape off the rub rail and 1/4" below (about where the old seal met the hull), then clean the area with alcohol. Use black automotive sealant (Permatex makes a black silicone sealant) to run a bead and smooth it with a wet finger. Before it cures, peel tape and you should have a nice, neat, waterproof caulk joint.