819 with Pro XS vs SHO

As title says looking for feedback on performance, cost, reliability. Looks to be very close on weight. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Mike

I've owned both, wouldnt even be a moment of decision making between the two before I ordered the SHO.

Better holeshot and the newer ones have proven to be very reliable. Top Speed, fuel econ, maintenance cost will all be about the same.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

3. Member
    100% not knocking Merc as it's a great outboard proven over time.........but my new boat has the SHO and I will be hard pressed to go back to two-stroke. Will look at Verado if I ever get another rig- but will definitely be a four-stroke. The holeshot, mid range power & sound are all awesome, plus that displacement just looks bad arse hanging off the back. Cost wasn't an issue for me as I bought pre-owned and got a great deal on the boat.

I have never owned a SHO, but my Merc has been great on my 619. I don't think you can go wrong with either.
    2016 Phoenix 619 Pro / Mercury 200 Pro XS

5. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Also have a Merc on my 619 as i bought the boat used but would love to have had a SHO on it....would have a little more room in bilge along with not having to buy 2 stroke oil.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

6. Member
    I have a Merc on a 919 and have extensively driven a SHO on exact same model. Both great motors. Go with what you have the best local service for and whichever has the warranty extension as a promo if possible. The merc is a tiny bit faster but the SHO has a snappier midrange. Hole shot is nearly identical.
    My last boat had a SHO on it and I enjoyed the motor and not buying 2 stroke oil but be warned, Yamaha parts and accessories are expensive so the operational cost comparison is pretty much a wash.
    Last edited by perfect-storm; 04-27-2017 at 03:20 PM.