Thread for DIY prop maintenance?

In my NOVICE opinion, my prop is in really good shape and I'm not ready to make an investment in having it worked (yet). It's a tempest+. But it isn't in perfect shape. The edge is abrasive and I have a small "shard" hanging off of a blade. I'm looking for tips to maintain this blade for the time being and get adequate performance also. I searched the forum as well as the Internet (to the best of my ability) and I don't see any detailed info; one site said just use a file... I don't want to "go backwards" in my process but leaving it as is for the first run doesn't seem like the best idea either.

so I was thinking that I could block sand or file the edge to smooth (to the touch- not speaking of a profile) it out and then polish with a dermal...

Is this approach Sacrilege? Because I don't see anything posted about maintaining your prop for small imperfections- I could have missed it?

thanks in advance for any advice- and I'd be happy to post pics of my personal imperfections if someone is interested in the degree of repair I'm looking at..

Regards,
    Karl

2. Member
    Just do your best to make the damaged blade, look like the undamaged blade, with what ever tool that you want to use. Send the prop in to have it professionally repaired as soon as possible, before more damage occurs. Nicks can lead to cracks.

3. Member
    I don't know if I do the right thing also but have used a fine file and just followed the edge. My props are never bad, but some times have some rough edges and $200-$300 is too much just to make it perfect. I never bother with sand paper, just the file. Good luck.

Ches.
    2013 Lund 2010 Pro Guide, 150 Verado SN:2B024387
    2X Helix 12's Mega G2N's, Lvl. 2 Merc Monitor

Thanks for the input! I'm going to dive into that project soon-

Regards,
    Karl
    1999 Skeeter ZX202 - 2000 Mercury 200EFI - Tempest+ 25p - Minn Kota Ultrex - Lowrance HDS7 Gen2 touch/ Elite7 Chirp - GoFree WiFi1 module

5. Member
    Just remember anything you file off has to be put back at some point ,

6. Member
    Just have it repaired to factory spec now. If you file, grind or remove material it will cost more to have it done later and those little snags can turn into big cracks.

7. 1/2 of ' team catfish ' ol man river's Avatar
    send it to mark croxton, it will run better than new when hes done with it. those small 'tears' on the leading edge can become cracks before you know it.