Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Has anybody ever seen the inside of a 198?

I'm referring to the hull, stringer and the foam. Would anybody have a place or thought of where I could find a pic of it? I'm trying to find out if the foam compartments were boxed individually or if the foam would just have been a long continuous run from transom to bow????

2. Member
    Ohhh, I'd like to see that as well.

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

Might contact Charger Boats they just took one apart for new 198

4. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Do you want to know how it's done today or back when it was champ

5. Banned
    Last edited by Snickers89; 05-30-2017 at 11:52 AM.

6. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    The way the 210 looked it was floor built and than the boxes than filled with foam on both floor and flotation boxes.I have a pic of the charger version,I'll see about getting the champion side.

7. Banned
    I need the Champ because I had a leaking something in/on my transom (think it was the aerator through hull fitting truthfully) and the foam in my hull is wet. I drilled holes into the stringer to get the water out and now I have a series of hoses that I blow air into and everyday I get about 1 tablespoon out of the foamed area. I'm just wondering if these were boxes and I have a chance at getting the water out or if it was just one long run of foam and I might just be pissing into the wind. In best I can explain words... small boxes where the water is/was contained???
    Last edited by grout-scout; 04-27-2017 at 08:51 PM.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TOUCH OF CLASS View Post
    The way the 210 looked it was floor built and than the boxes than filled with foam on both floor and flotation boxes.I have a pic of the charger version,I'll see about getting the champion side.

I would give you a foot rub if you can pull that off. (Just kidding of course)

Pull the cap and fix it...wondering and guessing is like pissin in the wind...You'll do what your doing for way longer than it's worth and still won't dry that foam if it all got wet. Other than that live with a slow boat and go fishing.
    1998 202 DC / Mercury 300R

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 95202DCX View Post
    Pull the cap and fix it...wondering and guessing is like pissin in the wind...You'll do what your doing for way longer than it's worth and still won't dry that foam if it all got wet. Other than that live with a slow boat and go fishing.
    I don't know, a 6 hour each way trip and $3k-$4k repair might not be worth it if these foam boxes were small. I don't think they can be too big because when I blow air into one of my hoses it will blow water out the other hose. But who knows, I kick myself in the ass for buying a used boat.

Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    I don't know, a 6 hour each way trip and $3k-$4k repair might not be worth it if these foam boxes were small. I don't think they can be too big because when I blow air into one of my hoses it will blow water out the other hose. But who knows, I kick myself in the ass for buying a used boat.
    Just go fishing and leave 15 min earlier...you'll get to your spot at the same time as your boat with no water logged foam. lol

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 95202DCX View Post
    Just go fishing and leave 15 min earlier...you'll get to your spot at the same time as your boat with no water logged foam. lol
    Yeah, I guess; but I bet it will still out run your 190.

But seriously, if there was a shop around that did these repairs close I would go that route. As it is now, too dang far to jack with.

One benefit though, rides smoootttthhhh, with the extra weight. Not sure if that's good or bad.

13. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    I don't think you could get enough water to the foam to get it that wet unless the whole boat was at the bottom of the lake for a long time.I have submerged the foam Charger uses which I can't believe is any different than the rest use and it didn't weigh any different after 2 months.Now if the water found a void it could be in between the foam and hull.Now I did do the same test with a different brand it was a cut out of the deck and after a 2 week period that piece almost weighed 100 grams more and it was only a 1200 grams to start with.Its from a all composite boat and was a lot softer than the marine plywood that we tested also.In fact the plywood did not weigh any different after the same time frame.So not all composites are created equal.

14. Banned
    You might be right sir (and I hope you are). It could be between the voids, because I don't recall seeing any saturated foam while re-sealing any of the transom holes.

some hulls are slower than others...but if you want to know for sure what's up with yours a truck scale at a gravel processing company will tell you a lot quick.

16. Member
    I'd have to respectfully disagree about foam not holding water. Based on my own partly soaked boat and extensive conversation with the guy I had to repair work (he had decades of experience and has seen it all) at least some kinds of foam definitely act like a sponge. And foam in Champs I'd definitely suspect.

If a 198 is anything like a 191, the chambers are long compartments running fore to after with no cross ways dividers. Even though it's all one thing front to back, the water tends to follow gravity and collects more interesting after lower areas.

David, my boat rebuilderror, said he had a large center console in one time for rot repair work. A large part of the hull was filled with foam that was soaked. He said they eventually made holes in the bottom of the hull to see if they could get the water out. Sat for 6 months and was still dripping water after that amount of time.

It's hard to paint a cheery picture. In the bottom of the foam filled compartments they put in balsa core material to strengthen the hull. None of the fiberglass work was done to be water tight. With water in the foam, and in the amounts you have seen, there is a lot more chance it has gotten into the coring and stringers than not. Only one way to know and not beat around the bush.....been there, done that.....
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

17. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Here's a pic of the Charger foam yellow /tan it's very hard.

The second one is out of another brand ,it's a lot softer ,feels more like a sponge. .
    Attached Images Attached Images

18. Banned
    I'll hope for the best, my foam is yellower than your 2nd sample. I wonder how many years this thing can drip. oh well, I'll keep doing what I've been doing until I get tired of it.

19. Member
    Let's talk numbers. How fast is your 198 as it sits? Prop, Rpm's, Prop to pad measurement, and how much fuel & gear?

20. Member
    Just for reference, the innerds of a 191.

I did a little looking into bass boat structural design back when we decided to gut this one and make it right. I believe few if any have cross wise dividers down in these concealed compartments because they pour expanding foam into them and it's simpler to do that with one big area to fill as opposed to areas separated by cross pieces. There are stringers within the lower sections that you cannot access in the finished product - in the photos, there is the center rib above the keel, outboard to that is the first main stringer, then a stringer that becomes concealed, and then the outboard main stringer. You can also see the coring material that is glassed in on the hull. In these pics it's all the redone work with coosa and a synthetic rigid foam for the coring that was replaced.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast