Talon Bracket Adjustment

Just installed a 12' talon on a ranger 461vs. Just wondering from a boat performance perspective if I should try and adjust bracket to get it closer to transom, place it with more of an angle going back, or as it is in picture which is even with back of motor and close to a 90 degree angle? I can always adjust after a couple of trips and I know every boat is different, but hoping for some experienced feed back that might help with a good starting point.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    I have dual talons and have adjusted them several times. They are currently as close to the back of the boat as possible and as far apart as possible . I think a lot of the positioning depends on type and shape of aft end of the boat.

3. Member
    In March I had two 12ft talons installed and they mounted them as close as possible to the transom. If I were you, I'd definitely get them as close as you can.

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

As close as possible to the hull, some guys put the part attached to the jackplate the opposite way and will allow you to move it even closer. That far out looks like you will drag getting up on plane and that will slow your hole shot.
    2016 Skeeter Tzx190 Yamaha 175 SHO

Get them as close to the transom as you can. It does not matter if its a Talon or Power Pole you still want it as close as you can get it to the transom. Mine almost touch my rubrail. I can not get my hand between the Talon bracket and the rubrail. Look at the pictures in this link...everyone mounts them close to the transom.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=708383

6. Member
    I thought about flipping the bracket upside down during installation, but was worried about height since the bolt slots are about 2-3" lower when flipped. Actually went fishing this afternoon for first time since installation. The bottom of talon at rest sits right at water level. It had zero affect on hole shot as is. Within a matter of less than a second, the talon is completely out of the water with zero drag. I'm thinking it might drag if I make sharp turns to 1 side but didn't test that today. I'll probably try and turn it in as much as possible next trip.

Mine is also as close as it can get to the transom. Also it is as high as it will go...no issues.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!