Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any issues triple towing?

I have a 05 Duramax dually with a 32 foot 5th wheel and a Z18 and would like to try this. Is it difficult to run the wiring for the lights and brakes?

2. Member
    First problem is legality.
    Here in manitoba, your total length is only allowed to be 75 feet, and you need a different class licence if the total trailer weight is greater then 10000lbs.
    I have no idea what your laws are down there.

Second problem is the fifth wheel frame.
    Can your frame support the boat??? You have to remember the boat moves a lot because the fifth amplifies movements.
    So you need a very good frame and hitch.

Third problem it wiring. There are 2 options here.
    1) Try to find all of the wiring and make tap connections where convenient.
    2) Add a junction box at the front where the truck connection cable joins to the camper harness, and run a proper 7 wire line all the way back.

All of this comes from personal experiences and the experiences of people that I camp with.

A cushioned hitch like an air bag system can help a lot with the second problem.
    For wiring I'd recommend going with option 2.

Please post a pic if you do it. I don't see that often.

4. Member
    The website wont let me post a picture...

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong???

5. Banned
    Why would you need a 7 wire at the rear, boat trailers don't have electric brakes. I have limited experience tandem towing with an aluminum boat /5th wheel combination. You'll need to check local laws, I was legal in Missouri, don't know about anywhere else.

6. Member

Sorry its small, I had to shrink it a lot.
    Original is a beautiful picture of the Big Whiteshell campground.
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by d'Wayne View Post
    Why would you need a 7 wire at the rear, boat trailers don't have electric brakes. I have limited experience tandem towing with an aluminum boat /5th wheel combination. You'll need to check local laws, I was legal in Missouri, don't know about anywhere else.

Its not needed, Its just easier to run 1 wire, then if your ever pulling a different trailer your good to go.
    Something like an ATV trailer, we pull one the odd time.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by d'Wayne View Post
    If you have surge brakes on your boat trailer you need the 5 plug for the reverse solenoid or good luck trying to back a boat up without it. On my truck I have a 5 pin to a 7 pin adapter. So if you have surge brakes a 7 or 5 is needed.
    2003 Skeeter ZX200

9. Member
    I have the 5 plug... This is the only issue..I have the surge brakes...I guess i just splice from the trailer..Trailer frame is wide...Theres a trailer place that can fabricate to support the hitch going on. Its just the wiring cause i want the lights to work and i can back up a little just not a lot. But i still need the brakes to release when i do.

How the heck would you back-up a triple rig? With lots of practice, I assume!
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post

If its fairly straight its easy...
    The boat is shorter so it moves faster, so you have to use that to slowly make a corner.

If its a tight then you just don't... Unhook back up and hook up again.

Its possible to back it up all the time, but you'd have to be retired to have that much practice.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach G View Post
    I have the 5 plug... This is the only issue..I have the surge brakes...I guess i just splice from the trailer..Trailer frame is wide...Theres a trailer place that can fabricate to support the hitch going on. Its just the wiring cause i want the lights to work and i can back up a little just not a lot. But i still need the brakes to release when i do.
    Coach G, maybe you could put a lock out in the brake actuator to keep it from pushing in and activating the brakes. I have seen on ebay a little round disc that goes in the hole where you fill your brake fluid up.
    2003 Skeeter ZX200

You just go back to steering like you would without a trailer. And slow....
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

I'd love to drive a set up like that a few times. Thansk for the pic.

Jeff, I backed a set of doubles up almost daily. Mountain doubles 48' trailer in the front, 28' trailer in the rear easier than two 28 fters. Unfortunaly Iowa only let us pull two 28.5 fters, Ne. We could pull any combo that didn't exceed 65' of trailers, SD we could pull boxcars ( two 48 fters, or Triples, three 28.5 trailers, or mountain doubles.

We see 5th wheels with boats behind them all summer around here

who ordered a big load of fishing gear?

17. Member
    There's a post in the rv section of bbc. I think a guy from KY does it often. I can't imagine what your fuel bill would be.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basssj View Post
    There's a post in the rv section of bbc. I think a guy from KY does it often. I can't imagine what your fuel bill would be.

Not as bad as you think...
    There isn't much extra drag, so its just the weight.
    A lot cheeper then taking 2 vehicles, especially when you already have the big truck.

19. Member
    My dad used to pull our 5th wheel and boat all the time. I know Missouri had a 65' length law. I think we were a little over with the newer 32' camper and 18' ski boat. How ever the boat did not have trailer brakes so we just spliced into the 5th wheel wiring and piggy backed off of those wire for the boat lights.

20. Member
    i think Chad Grigsby travels that way.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast