Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    REC TEC...

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yj99t04 View Post
    I figured I'd post this in the lounge to get a broader opinion on the subject. I want to get a smoker, but I need a grill too. I've been thinking about dropping the coin on a Big Green Egg. I just want one thing that can do it all. How many people have gone this route, and is the Egg worth it?
    the egg does both quite well

pitts and spitts makes a "combo" that works well for both too.

3. Member
    if you are a handy dude--make an Ugly Drum Smoker, make your own coal, and buy a gas grill--you can use the UDS as a sometimes grill--
    I figured I'd post this in the lounge to get a broader opinion on the subject. I want to get a smoker, but I need a grill too. I've been thinking about dropping the coin on a Big Green Egg. I just want one thing that can do it all. How many people have gone this route, and is the Egg worth it?

I'll second the Rec Tec!
    If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag.

On the day I die I know where I'm gonna go, me and Jesus got that part worked out. I'll wait at the gate till his face I see, and stand in a long line of sinners like me.

5. Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar
    If I didn't have so much invested in my BGE's, I would go the Komodo Kamado route. Even simpler yet would be a professional pellet grill like Yoder Smokers. The good thing about ceramic grills is they can cold smoke cheese at 115, or sear a steak at a 1000, and do it all really well.
    2017 Bass Cat Phelix Honda 25 SOLD
    2007 BCB Cougar FTD Merc Opti 225 SOLD

Instagram: @SSgt93.
    I don't subscribe to threads. PM if you need me.

This is the way to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel14 View Post
    Please check out the Rec Tec grill. I was in the same predicament. You will not regret it.

Please at least watch the video.

7. Member
    I have a Primo (oval shaped ceramic). I find it easier to have a hot side and cool side on the oval. With that said, most of my grilling is done on the Weber. We just prefer the taste of the food without the charcoal or smoke flavors.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcdogfish View Post
    I have a Primo (oval shaped ceramic). I find it easier to have a hot side and cool side on the oval. With that said, most of my grilling is done on the Weber. We just prefer the taste of the food without the charcoal or smoke flavors.
    This is your answer right here. I have an XL and use it 4-5X per week.
    ________
    $8

Do the pellet grills actually "grill" the meat, or is it more like an oven that bakes it at a high temp?
    2010 BassCat Puma FTD
    2010 Mercury 250 Pro XS

10. Member
    I have an egg. I will give you a short list that represents it versatility.

It cooks from 150 (cold smoke) - 1000 (Inferno). Yes others can claim this too. I can smoke a pork butt for 18 hours (if I go low and slow) and still have enough lump leftover for 2-3 more grill sessions for burgers, brats or dogs. It is amazingly efficient.

Ribs, yes very good.

I can sear a steak at 750-800.

I can use it as a pizza oven cooking home made fire kissed pizzas you will die for, 90 seconds each at 900-1000.

2 weeks ago I smoked some king Mackerel at 150-165 for a couple hours, fish was absolutely the best I ever tasted and it was the first I ever smoked.

Burgers - get the temp to 550, slap the 3/4-1" think burgers on for 3 minutes per side, then shut the dampers to a slit. 3 minutes at rest and you will have the most perfect medium rare burger Every time.

Smoked Turkey???? forget about it, the egg has a way of sealing moisture into the meats I cook on it I don't get from other cookers. Just remember to cook to food temp not any other means and your meat will be fantastic.

The egg may appear to be intimidating on the surface but a simple cooker once you do it a couple times.

Lifetime warranty is very valuable and well supported.

There is a sport forum that is just like BBC but for Big Green Egg. Egghead forum.com

You want to cook anything, learn who to cook with the egg, anything? go to this forum and peruse the information available at your finger tips.

My advise, find a local dealer. Talk to them, ask if they have an eggfest. Buy a discounted demo from their egg Fest. Then enjoy your egg the rest of your life.

55 gal. drum smoker is what my brother and his buddies are using now.. Youtube it and you can build it for less than 50.00

12. Member
    I've got a Kamado Joe, just my preference, I liked it better than the BGE. I was very hesitant about either being worth the money, but couldn't have been more wrong. There are just too many reasons to own one after using for years. Definitely one of the best purchases I've ever made.

13. Banned
    We all live in a very busy world. And we all know Big Green Eggs are great--but priced very high. All the really good barbecuers have numerous grills for different uses.

I use a gas grill for fast every day cooking--all year round. When I have a little more time (on weekends), I have a 22 1/2 inch Weber charcoal grill. I also have a Mastercraft electric smoker when I'm lazy on weekends. And when company's coming and I have a full day free, it's time to bring out the BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain smoker or Ugly Damn Smoker (made out of food grade 55 gallon drum.) Smokers don't get any better than them.

When I have questions on barbeque, I go to AmazingRibs.com--the definitive experts on equipment, techniques and recipes for barbeque.

14. Member
    I bought the yoder ys640 pellet grill. Best grill/smoker I have ever owned. You can grill right over the open flame if you want. Plenty of videos about them on YouTube. Plus its built like a tank.

Grills and smokes and cooks like an oven. And does it better than anyone else. Look up Rec Tec reviews....... you will see.

Do the pellet grills actually "grill" the meat, or is it more like an oven that bakes it at a high temp?
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

I have a 22.5" Weber and love it. I can smoke on it all day with out issues other than needing to add more charcoal after 9 hours. Its super easy to adjust your temperature with the two vents,a and once dialed in will hold the temp just fine. I have used the Weber for pork butts, ribs, and chicken and had absolutely no problem whatsoever. I do have other smokers though ,so if I had to choose it would be tough. I also have a Masterbuilt electric smoker and a Oklahoma Joe highlander to use when needed. If I am just doing ONE pork butt, a couple slabs of ribs, or some chicken my weber is my go to because its so easy.

17. Member
    I have been back & forth on this for a couple years as well. Do I get a Weber & call it good. Looked into an Egg as well. Considered getting a Treager as well, not the Rec-Tec.....MAN.....this is hard to figure out anymore.

18. Member
    I'm handy but lazy, so I bought a Pit Barrel smoker. It BBQs exceptionally well, too. I'm very pleased with it, and it's virtually fool proof.

To the OP we just went this route much easier I felt. The Vision ceramic grill is built to the same quality as the Egg.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/mm-5-b...td:product:1:3

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/kamado...lp:product:1:1
    Garmin Stiker 7sv and 7cv
    2017 Crestliner VT17 - Mercury 60 4S

20. Member
    I was looking for something similar but wanted the flexibility of gas when I needed to cook something in a rush. I also really wanted to stick with an offset. After searching for sometime I found a custom builder that builds cookers/offset smokers. I got an awesome machine and couldn't be happier. Kings Custom Cookers out of Harrisburg, PA. Probably a few hours north of you. Let me know if your interested and I can get you the info. Mine has a 36x32" grilling
    area with a 22x22 firebox.

Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast