Post rain checklist?

If the weathermen are right, I'll be fishing in the rain on Saturday. It's supposed to rain Sunday too, and I'll be coming home Sun morning and leaving the boat there covered.

Anything I can/should do to make sure I don't have any issues when I uncover it?

Thanks!

I would leave a little opening at both ends of the cover and put a small fan at one end to move the air around

2009 ELITE 210

3. Member
    I open all the lids and take out front seat and replace with stand fan. Then small fan in the foot well. Put cover back on. If you had time you could shop vac the carpet to get water off decks.
    William "Bill" Kyte
    Waldorf, MD
    2018 Shenadoah Kerr lake BFL Co-angler Champion

2020 Ranger 520L Evinrude G2 250HO

4. Member
    Thanks. The kind of cover I have is the kind that pulls taut with ratchet straps. Should I put something (pvc pipe?) at the bow to keep it from pulling tight to the boat? At the transom it already has a slight opening between the bottom of the cover and the boat.

Ill try to post a pic.

5. Member
    I thought about damp rid or something too. Is that just a waste?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishinFamily View Post
    I thought about damp rid or something too. Is that just a waste?
    It's a boat, made to get wet. Leave the cover off, come back next week and go fishing. It will be dry by then.

Xpress H-56 Yamaha 115

Let it sit for a long as you can before you cover it. Don't worry about opening the compartments unless you want to empty them or it's in a secure location. The carpet is made to get wet and will dry out eventually. Put a fan under the cover somewhere and it will be fine. Don't overthink it. Next time you get a chance on a sunny day, uncover it, open all the compartments and let it air out. It will be fine.
    2021 Ranger Z519 Mercury 225 Pro XS Four Stroke

Quote Originally Posted by besnyde View Post
    Let it sit for a long as you can before you cover it. Don't worry about opening the compartments unless you want to empty them or it's in a secure location. The carpet is made to get wet and will dry out eventually. Put a fan under the cover somewhere and it will be fine. Don't overthink it. Next time you get a chance on a sunny day, uncover it, open all the compartments and let it air out. It will be fine.
    Yes...this!
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

From the sound of things outside right now....The weather people hit this one right on the head !!!

10. Member
    Biggest thing is don't let rods in sealed boxes. They'll draw moisture and never air out. Either take them with you or crack the lid up. Other than that nothing to special

Quote Originally Posted by BILL LO View Post
    I would leave a little opening at both ends of the cover and put a small fan at one end to move the air around

+1
    You could also you a shop vac and vacuum a bunch of the water out of the carpet.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

12. Member
    When the sun comes out, open all the hatches for the entire day. I wouldn't cover my boat if it was already wet. That is just asking for mold everywhere.

Even after washing the boat, I'd rather it sit uncovered all night if it's not dry that cover it while it's still wet.

As an aside, I just bought a 2015 boat that spent it's live covered on a lift with the hatches closed. By all measures is is extremely clean. However, the difference in the compartments and bilge between it and my last boat that sat in a garage with all hatches open 100% of the time is astounding. Fans are no replacement for just storing the boat with the hatches open.

13. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    If your leaving the boat behind and coming home then I would not run a fan. I would not want a fan running in a unattended boat but that's just me. I would find something to put under the lids so they are open about 6" or so. This will allow air inside the compartments. Also make sure you remove the drain plug. It will surprise you how much water will drain on its own out of the carpet and it ends up in the bilge area so remove the drain plug.