Choosing Navionics Chip

Hey guys,

I'm getting ready to order some navionics chips for my new Helix 10's. I am confused as to what the difference is between the Platinum+ Chip and HotMaps Platinum? The only difference I can see on the site is the platinum+ is available with more coverage? I was going to go with the Navionics+ chips but the HotMaps platinum is currently on sale. Was hoping to get some suggestions as to which one is right for me.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Car_nut15 View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm getting ready to order some navionics chips for my new Helix 10's. I am confused as to what the difference is between the Platinum+ Chip and HotMaps Platinum? The only difference I can see on the site is the platinum+ is available with more coverage? I was going to go with the Navionics+ chips but the HotMaps platinum is currently on sale. Was hoping to get some suggestions as to which one is right for me.

Thanks!
    Platinum+ is mostly offshore/foreign countries--lots of world-wide regions.

Hotmaps Platinum is regional US and Canada.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    If you have no plans to fish very far away from Ontario then the Hotmaps one that is on sale would be fine. If you have more than one Helix 10, maybe get one Navionics+ and one Hotmaps Platinum.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    If you have no plans to fish very far away from Ontario then the Hotmaps one that is on sale would be fine. If you have more than one Helix 10, maybe get one Navionics+ and one Hotmaps Platinum.
    Didn't think of doing that. Would that cause any problems when my units are linked?

Quote Originally Posted by Car_nut15 View Post
    Didn't think of doing that. Would that cause any problems when my units are linked?
    No, the map is just a background on the plotter view. Mapping is not GPS and GPS is not mapping.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    If you go with Navionics + you can select the area you want to down load, Up to 2 GB.
    I live in Nashville and with Hot maps you need a south for Gunterville lake and a East for TN.
    with Navionics + I can draw a box around tn to include KY lake Dale hollow, down to Chick and Pickwick including Guntersville Plus box in the Big O for when I go down there.
    All on one chip!!
    You get all the same info best I can tell, Live updates, community edits, and 1 ft depth maps etc. You just select what you want or need on the +

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory Legend View Post
    If you go with Navionics + you can select the area you want to down load, Up to 2 GB.
    I live in Nashville and with Hot maps you need a south for Gunterville lake and a East for TN.
    with Navionics + I can draw a box around tn to include KY lake Dale hollow, down to Chick and Pickwick including Guntersville Plus box in the Big O for when I go down there.
    All on one chip!!
    You get all the same info best I can tell, Live updates, community edits, and 1 ft depth maps etc. You just select what you want or need on the +
    hickory

Select what you want but for only one year then you must renew correct?

8. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    The new Navionics+ cards are 16GB and they can be filled up.

If one in updating an existing Navionics card, it's better to buy a new Navionics Update package to get the 16GB card and leave your old card alone.

9. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tugger View Post
    You only need to renew if you want to continue updating.

10. Member
    All on one chip!!
    It looks like Hotmaps covers all the areas I fish. I will probably get one Hotmaps and one Navionics + just in case I venture outside of the Hotmaps region I purchase.

11. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tugger View Post
    hickory

Yes if you want to get the latest updates. After one year of scanning the areas you normal fish and updating the card along the way you can then not renew but you keep all the last update on the card.

12. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    The new Navionics+ cards are 16GB and they can be filled up.

If one in updating an existing Navionics card, it's better to buy a new Navionics Update package to get the 16GB card and leave your old card alone.
    True its a 16 GB card, but when I downloaded my area you could only grab 2 gb worth of data. They could have changed it since then.
    I was as stated abouve able to get KY lake, Barkley lake Pickwick, Wheeler, Guntersville Dalehollow, Centerhill, Preist, Old Hickory and all the ones in-between, Plus Big O for the one time a year I go.

Unless you select the regional chart which looks like it has the same area as the Hotmaps

You drag a square or retangle around the area you want to put on the card like cropping a Picture.

They have 30.00 off on the Hotmaps right now, Seem to be the same other than the Hotmaps has statelite overview and area pictures and 3d images of the land.

13. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    True its a 16 GB card, but when I downloaded my area you could only grab 2 gb worth of data. They could have changed it since then.
    I was as stated abouve able to get KY lake, Barkley lake Pickwick, Wheeler, Guntersville Dalehollow, Centerhill, Preist, Old Hickory and all the ones in-between, Plus Big O for the one time a year I go.
    Perhaps it has changed. I purchased a Navionics+ Update card back in Dec and downloaded Sonar Charts for every lake from from Minnesota down to Texas and across to the Atlantic. I think it was 11GB total.

14. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Perhaps it has changed. I purchased a Navionics+ Update card back in Dec and downloaded Sonar Charts for every lake from from Minnesota down to Texas and across to the Atlantic. I think it was 11GB total.
    Good to know
    Thanks