Maintenance Routine/Costs

Hey everyone, I'm new here and I'm about to buy my first bass boat WOOHOO!! After several months of searching, hopefully the buying process will be complete next week. I have settled on a 2007 Ranger 188VS with a 175 Optimax that has 75 hrs on it. The boat looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor. My question is what can I expect to spend annually on routine maintenance for the boat and motor? I live in Georgia and plan to use it year around. Would some of you veterans be willing to share your maint. routine with me? Thanks in advance!

2. Member
    B.O.A.T. Bring Out Another Thousand
    Please release me,let me go.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak16 View Post
    B.O.A.T. Bring Out Another Thousand
    LOL! Don't tell my wife! She's the one who brought it up.... I told her a couple hundred annually! But it did get me thinking, hence the post!

4. Member
    As long as you take care of the fuel system and change lower unit lube and spark plugs you should only be in for a few hundered. If you dont keep up on the small stuff it will lead to big stuff!

Check your owner's manual for the recommended maintenance and schedule. I'm guessing it calls for maintenance every 100 hours or so and then it's probably nothing but an oil change and maybe a water pump or spark plug replacement at 4 or 500 hours. Unless you have unexpected issues, I doubt you'll spend over $100 annually on maintenance items. Then there's always the things you want to add or update that could get expensive... Chart plotters, trolling motors, fishing tackle, etc. "Break Out Another Thousand: is an understatement.
    04 Sea Pro SV2100cc w/ Suzuki DF150
    02 Scout 162 Sportfisher w/ Yamaha 60

6. Member
    BOAT should be spelled BOSMT bring out some more thousands
    Speed cost money. How fast ya wanna go? I have done so much for so long with so little. I can now do the impossible with nothing!

7. Banned
    Could you all lay off with the "bust out another thousand" talk please? Im still in search mode, on a budget and I dont need these realities clouding my judgement! Im sticking to my alternative facts that finding the right boat is gonna be my biggest challenge as a boat owner! lol

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bockscar View Post
    Could you all lay off with the "bust out another thousand" talk please? Im still in search mode, on a budget and I dont need these realities clouding my judgement! Im sticking to my alternative facts that finding the right boat is gonna be my biggest challenge as a boat owner! lol
    Sometimes the truth can be a tough pill to swallow..
    2017 Nitro Z20 w/ Mercury 250 Pro XS
    MK Ultrex 112# Mega DI/ Mega 360
    Console: Helix 10 MDI G3N-Helix 10 MSI G3N
    Bow: Helix 10 MDI G3N-Helix 10 MDI G4N

9. Member
    Dont stress it. Just do your research on potential boats and make sure they provide all paperwork. Get it checked. Test drive it thoroughly. If it all checks out buy it.

I learned to do it all by myself. I bought a service manual from Don and a couple of inexpensive specialty tools...a fuel filter tool, grease gun and a LU lube pump. After that initial outlay of money, it costs me about $225 in parts: water pump kit, spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter, LU oil, and radius zip ties. Everything is genuine Mercury, nothing aftermarket. Spark Plugs are only NGK. It is not hard and does not take more than a couple of hours. I work slow.

There are many things that run up ownership costs. Batteries, both cranking and trolling, tires, trailer maintenance are not annual expenses but hurt when they need work. Budget for those somehow.
    Last edited by 06 SB; 04-30-2017 at 06:01 PM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Normal maintenance is usually a water pump (impeller) and changing the lower unit oil. About $200-$300 annually. Change the impeller annually even though it may still have great water pressure. Make sure you add fuel additives every time you get gas. Normal oil for 2 strokes is about $18-25 /gal. You should use what's recommended in the manual
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jdwo2212 View Post
    As long as you take care of the fuel system and change lower unit lube and spark plugs you should only be in for a few hundered. If you dont keep up on the small stuff it will lead to big stuff!
    What does taking care of the fuel system consist of? Just changed my lower unit lube, and had the mechanic at purchase clean up my fuel system....how long do you go between spark plugs? Its super easy to change the lower unit lube...in case anyone else is a noob here like me.

13. Member
    Fuel system maintenance consists of
    Using good quality gas (non ethanol if possible at the correct octane)
    Using fuel additives (see Don's fuel additive recipe)
    Replacing fuel filters/water seperators (depends on motor/boat) some are stand alone some are built into the motor. High and low pressure filters.
    Replacing fuel lines, hoses, fittings, etc. A 2007 boat is nearing the expected life of all fuel hoses, filler hose, tank hoses, fuel lines, etc. Especially if ethanol was ever used.

If debris enters the optimax fuel system expect to remove the fuel rails and injectors and send them off for cleaning/replacing injectors. It's about a $600 job to start.

Annual fuel maintenance is about $15-$60. Depending what filters need to be replaced.

On paper annual maintenance is about $150 in parts. Unfortunately, maintenance is one of the least expensive things in boating.

Your annual boating budget should be near the $4-5k mark. Not saying you will or wont spend all of it but the budget should support that much.

14. Member
    $100 - $400 annually is a good number, just depends on how much the dealer has to do and how much you can do yourself. Be prepared for some of the larger occasional expenses like new trailer tires, electronics and livewell pumps.

Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    I learned to do it all by myself. I bought a service manual from Don and a couple of inexpensive specialty tools...a fuel filter tool, grease gun and a LU lube pump. After that initial outlay of money, it costs me about $225 in parts: water pump kit, spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter, LU oil, and radius zip ties. Everything is genuine Mercury, nothing aftermarket. Spark Plugs are only NGK. It is not hard and does not take more than a couple of hours. I work slow.

There are many things that run up ownership costs. Batteries, both cranking and trolling, tires, trailer maintenance are not annual expenses but hurt when they need work. Budget for those somehow.
    I do everything my self also.

between 100 & 200 a year

17. Member
    The reality of boat ownership is simply this, if it breaks you gotta fix it so cost of repairs is never a guarantee. My brother bought a Corvette but then proceeded to pitch a fit when he discovered the price of tire replacement lol. There will always be repairs that you will have to determine and justify fixing. If its cosmetic and the boat still functions that's different than if the troll motor quits working? I own my boat outright but I still allow a monthly budget for repairs or upgrades to keep it ready and dependable. I have a set routine that helps me out. I always run the boat, use the troll motor, use both graphs, check live well pumps, bilge pumps, lights, trim, steering...... and so on even when not fishing tournaments. I try and use and check everything the boat is capable of doing every time I'm on the water. This helps me determine when and if something needs to be addressed, and then I schedule the service accordingly. Chull I hope you enjoy your new boat and I hope it never becomes a burden when things arise.

keep in mind half the fuel milage in your tow vehicle and about 3 mpg on the water
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089