Mark Twain trial voyage

Headed to Mark Twain next week for the first time, would like some broad, general help. Coming up 54 so we will launching on the South side of the lake. Fishing out of a 17ft semi V with 25 hp motor, so I don't really have the ability to run great distances. My brother is down from Michigan, I would like to get him in to some fish. Any suggestions for me of where to start and what to target?

Never been there before so no tip is too small. Assuming water should be warm enough for them to be up bedding in the coves, have heard water visibility is pretty minimal. Appreciate anything you guys might have to share......

Thank you!

2. Member
    If you're wanting to get him on some fish and you don't know twain, I'd recommend you try to find a different lake. If you're dead set on going there then I'd burn banks with a square bill and spinnerbait or fish points with a brush hog or lizard. June bug always seems to be a decent color there.

3. Member
    Gonna be muddy, we are getting a lot of ran.
    2001 ChampioN 206 Yamaha 225

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by milligjg View Post
    Gonna be muddy, we are getting a lot of ran.
    How much rain? Brother in law is heading up there today to try his hand at crappie

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyNegus94 View Post
    If you're wanting to get him on some fish and you don't know twain, I'd recommend you try to find a different lake. If you're dead set on going there then I'd burn banks with a square bill and spinnerbait or fish points with a brush hog or lizard. June bug always seems to be a decent color there.
    It's interesting that I had this very similar comment from a co-worker that Crappie fishes up there occasionally say the same thing. Seems to have the reputation as a very peculiar lake, for lack of a better term. With all the rain coming I think everything will be in pretty rough shape but even tougher when you have never been on a lake. Still a slow day fishing beats the heck out of a good day at work right?

Thank you to everyone that chimed in!!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom in Stl View Post
    How much rain? Brother in law is heading up there today to try his hand at crappie
    Hard Wednesday morning, then off and on all day. Suppose to rain Sat, Sun & Monday. Probably won't be a fun weekend. Man cave=
    2001 ChampioN 206 Yamaha 225

7. Member
    Launch at Ray Behrens ramp (near Black Jack Marina) and fish everything the wind will let you get to from there, including the cove the ramp is in. You should have at least one foot water clarity and there is a LOT of good pre spawn fishing within two to three miles of there. Buzz bait early, then spinner baits and medium diving crankbaits, and later in the day go to jigs or Texas rigged plastics. Water temp should be appx. 60 so your timing is great. Have a good trip and good luck.

8. Member

USA

I talked to a guy at the store today, who said that they were doing pretty good on crappie up at Mark Twain this week.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Hobbie Hut View Post
    Launch at Ray Behrens ramp (near Black Jack Marina) and fish everything the wind will let you get to from there, including the cove the ramp is in. You should have at least one foot water clarity and there is a LOT of good pre spawn fishing within two to three miles of there. Buzz bait early, then spinner baits and medium diving crankbaits, and later in the day go to jigs or Texas rigged plastics. Water temp should be appx. 60 so your timing is great. Have a good trip and good luck.
    THH- Good stuff- thank you.

Roadrunner- I had that EXACT comment at local tackle shop in Columbia. Said Crappie were on fire right now....

10. Member
    Mark Twain just came up 7 FEET in the last 24 hours, so things have changed. Good luck.

11. Member
    Update.....Twain is now up over 12 feet since Saturday morning. And still rising.

12. Member
    Our club is supposed to be there this weekend. What's this rising water level gonna do for the fishing? I have zero knowledge of the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by dough4200 View Post
    Our club is supposed to be there this weekend. What's this rising water level gonna do for the fishing? I have zero knowledge of the lake.
    i'd stay home

2015 Ranger Z119c / 2015 Merc 225 Pro X​S

14. Member
    It will be ugly. I'd find different water.

15. Member
    Stay lower lake, watch out for logs when on plane, and fish where you can actually reach shore.

16. Member
    Thanks guys. We voted to reschedule.