Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Member
    My Ultrex worked a grand total of.... about 10 minutes. Brand new boat and I upgraded to the Ultrex after having a Terrova on my last boat. First day on the water I did the 2hr break in and never got to fish. The second day I'm looking forward to seeing how well the boat does with the trolling motor down. I deploy the motor and nothing, then I realize I didn't flip the power switch. Turn on the power and nothing. I pull the motor up and re-deploy and she comes on. As soon as I use the foot pedal and change direction the power I lose power. It was an endless cycle, redeploy and if it powered up (sometimes I had to redeploy 7-8 times to get it to power up) as soon I changed direction it would lose power.

To say I'm pissed is a understatement! To pay almost $3K for a piece of equipment that fails right out the gate is unacceptable! To top it off the only service dealer close by me requires the unit be removed from the boat before they'll I work on it. Yeah right I'll just jerk that unit off my brand new $50K+ boat NOT! 3hrs one way back to the dealer she goes, lets hope I only miss 2 days of work getting all this sorted out

All I'll say is this... Minnkota, you better get the bugs worked out RIGHT QUICK or you're going to lose me for the rest of my boating life. And this is coming from a guy who's owed two Edge's, a Terrova and now a Ultrex.

2. Member
    Without looking at it, I can't say. I can say this doesn't sound like a "Ultrex" problem, or at least one that is reoccurring. If I was trouble shooting, I would be looking at connections causing the voltage to fall out. May get a good enough connection to run the motor, but when the electric steer comes on, the amp draw may be more than a connection can handle, so it heats and falls out.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    Without looking at it, I can't say. I can say this doesn't sound like a "Ultrex" problem, or at least one that is reoccurring. If I was trouble shooting, I would be looking at connections causing the voltage to fall out. May get a good enough connection to run the motor, but when the electric steer comes on, the amp draw may be more than a connection can handle, so it heats and falls out.
    John
    I thought the same thing at first but it would power up sometimes and stay on sometimes, it seemed like the two spring loaded arms that drive the locking mechanism in place had to be just right for it to get power, if those shifted it would loose power. That's why I had to keep deploying it 7-8x if the arms weren't perfectly positioned nadda.

4. Member
    I've had my Ultrex on the water 4 times, and already the button is sticking on. I can tap it a couple of times and it shuts off, but it is very aggravating.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coldwater View Post
    I've had my Ultrex on the water 4 times, and already the button is sticking on. I can tap it a couple of times and it shuts off, but it is very aggravating.
    Pop the button off, then push the reed down just a little. sounds like the spring is loosing some tension.
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    [/SIGPIC]

Pop the button off, then push the reed down just a little. sounds like the spring is loosing some tension.
    John....once the switch is working normally, would a little super glue on the magnet work to keep it in place? I just bought a new Fortrex and don't want to have the same problems I've had in the past.

7. Member
    I wouldn't use superglue. At some point, someone is going to need to remove it for some reason and I would hate for super glue to be a problem.
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

8. Member
    My Ultrex is dead. Brand new. Been out 3 times with it. MK says it’s likely a board.

word to the wise... keep your Fortrex for a spare! Your gonna need it.

DJ
    2013 Skeeter 21i - 250 SHO

9. Member
    I'm assuming you've had the batteries load tested -- even if they're new. That you've tested the voltage at the plug or bow connection with the trolling motor deployed, turned on and set to constant. For it to be "dead" meaning steering, remote, running all at one time suggest a wiring/connection issue to me.
    John
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

10. Banned
    I'd love to have one, but I think I'll wait another year........

11. Member
    I'm assuming you've had the batteries load tested -- even if they're new. That you've tested the voltage at the plug or bow connection with the trolling motor deployed, turned on and set to constant. For it to be "dead" meaning steering, remote, running all at one time suggest a wiring/connection issue to me.
    John
    Sorry John bad choice of words on my part. I wasn’t looking for troubleshooting help just letting people know.

What happened is: First.. Spot lock started dropping out for no reason. 2nd... every time I went to run the TM with foot pedal, the speed was always on max - regardless of speed setting on foot pedal. It would also change the prop speed on my HB. I shared that with MK on the water as it was happening and they said probably a board need to send it in to a service center.

DJ

12. Banned
    Some of you guys just ain’t living right lol

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    Some of you guys just ain’t living right lol
    Not sure what this means or how you would know?

14. Banned
    It’s a joke. Kinda the same as karma

Quote Originally Posted by Brady bass View Post
    Knock on wood, mine has been flawless. ..best motor I've owned
    +1....and mine is an early production.

16. Member
    Mine is a early production and I just got it back from Minn Kota for the 3rd time for warranty repairs... Its not even a year old yet. Minn Kota has had the motor more than I have..... All I can do is laugh at this point...Its a great motor when it works...

17. Member
    Never buy anything made on a Friday or Monday!

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by _DJ View Post
    My Ultrex is dead. Brand new. Been out 3 times with it. MK says it’s likely a board.

word to the wise... keep your Fortrex for a spare! Your gonna need it.

DJ
    Update: drove 3hrs round trip to drop Ultrex at service center cause MK wouldn’t pay for shipping (it’s their policy as I was told at least 7 times). Service center ordered a new board and advised me that the board is on back order. Their best guess is that it will be at least 2 weeks.

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    I'd love to have one, but I think I'll wait another year........
    Or two.......

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234