Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos_185 View Post
    I'm not bashing the ultrex by any means but when you don't see but one in the top 10 at the forrest wood cup as long as they've been out that alone speaks for itself. Ill have one but only when they get the kinks worked out. I know one thing ill never own another motor guide I have never seen something with so much noise and slop in it.
    I understand you're not bashing, but as I said, look at the Elites and how many are running, then look at how many use it to get in the money. Also, if you're going to base a decision on who's running it -- KVD is still running an X5 Motorguide.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

I've been running my 52/80 Ultrex since March. I've run it aground, into rocks and stumps, and through weed beds. It's been nothing but perfect in it's performance. My only complaint is the 52" shaft is too long for my needs and boat size. I only got the 52'' because it was going to be an unknown long time before a 45" became available. That's not a complaint on the performance of the motor just my decision not to wait.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

3. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    mine has been flawless so far. all the bass guys have been running them for longer than anyone
    Mine has been flawless as well, I believe any kinks have been worked out. The momentary switch is what it is, if they havent changed it by now they do not plan to. I would buy the Ultrex over a Fortrex anyday.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    I understand you're not bashing, but as I said, look at the Elites and how many are running, then look at how many use it to get in the money. Also, if you're going to base a decision on who's running it -- KVD is still running an X5 Motorguide.
    And KVD gets paid how much to run a MotorGuide? If the price is right I'll run a MotorGuide too!

5. Banned
    minn kota has been trying to get kvd to switch for years. everything else he runs is johnson outdoors. he seems to be very loyal

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    minn kota has been trying to get kvd to switch for years. everything else he runs is johnson outdoors. he seems to be very loyal
    No Talons though. I have always wondered why he hasn't gone all JO. Swindle did this year by switching from MG to an Ultrex and from PP to Talons.

7. Banned
    forgot about the poles.

8. Member
    That is funny, I was just telling my son after watching the thousand island tournament that KVD won, I guarantee he is pissed off motor guide doesn't have something like the ultrex with spot lock and if they don't by next year, he will probably jump ship! My buddy has one and I have to say it is the real deal. (no problems with his yet)

9. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    nothing like an ultrex for deep and Power Poles for shallow... ultimate combo.

10. Member
    Well, my motto has always been you don't miss what you never had. I have yet to get poles and really never wanted them. I guess I am just old school. But I love the idea of the ultrex being all in one approach without bulky @#$ poles hanging off the back of the boat for your partner to snag. I will most likely get one once the bugs get worked out. Hasn't been out long enough for me to trust the product fully.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat29 View Post
    Well, my motto has always been you don't miss what you never had. I have yet to get poles and really never wanted them. I guess I am just old school. But I love the idea of the ultrex being all in one approach without bulky @#$ poles hanging off the back of the boat for your partner to snag. I will most likely get one once the bugs get worked out. Hasn't been out long enough for me to trust the product fully.
    I understand what you mean about waiting to buy an ultrex till the bugs are worked out. But, I disagree about the power poles. They are an excellent tool to hold you in shallow water and not have the trolling motor stirring up the water in spot lock mode. Both the ultrex and power poles/talons have their place. Just my 2 cents.
    Sam Dunaway
    2005 Triton TR-21X
    Powered by Suzuki 250SS

So, had the pedal lock problem in May and MK sent me a new unit. Had the momentary on/off switch go out today. Hopefully I can find the fix somewhere in these forums. Else we shall see what MK will do this time.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

MINN Kota going broke, If they wait on me to buy a new one... I'm still using my 1989 OEM OMC 12/24 V TM that came on the 89 Boat. still original prop and still haven't bought a spare prop yet. Day comes I do, figure the Original one will get broken lolo.. 4 yrs ago had to break down and buy a 12v bulb and a few dots of epoxy glue to the top pointer lens, it got loose from age, and a New OEM Original pull cord. So hope it lasts another 28 years

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass AHolic View Post
    MINN Kota going broke, If they wait on me to buy a new one... I'm still using my 1989 OEM OMC 12/24 V TM that came on the 89 Boat. still original prop and still haven't bought a spare prop yet. Day comes I do, figure the Original one will get broken lolo.. 4 yrs ago had to break down and buy a 12v bulb and a few dots of epoxy glue to the top pointer lens, it got loose from age, and a New OEM Original pull cord. So hope it lasts another 28 years
    Good move. Those OMC's were the smoothest TM made. I cannot understand why the quality has gone backwards on trolling motors. Most of the technology we use today is better but not with trolling motors!

15. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by eliteangler View Post
    I understand what you mean about waiting to buy an ultrex till the bugs are worked out. But, I disagree about the power poles. They are an excellent tool to hold you in shallow water and not have the trolling motor stirring up the water in spot lock mode. Both the ultrex and power poles/talons have their place. Just my 2 cents.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GOFISH$ View Post
    Good move. Those OMC's were the smoothest TM made. I cannot understand why the quality has gone backwards on trolling motors. Most of the technology we use today is better but not with trolling motors!
    You couldn't be more wrong on this statement. The technology going into today's digital trolling motors is more advanced than the old step speed trolling motors. In fact, the step speed motors of today (still more advanced in the speed coil design than the OMCs) are considered as the entry level of both MinnKota and Motorguide. Both MinnKota and Motorguide are able to get more thrust out of a trolling motor that is about the same physical size as the old OMC. I'm talking comparing an Edge or X3 40# (which the biggest OMC was around 55# and took 24V to get that). Todays 55# motors are 12V, not 24V. This doesn't even start to talk about GPS functions, electric steer functions, 36V functions, the mounts, etc.
    John
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    [/SIGPIC]

17. Member
    My Ultrex 80 is doing OK so far. I have had it a month.

18. Member
    You couldn't be more wrong on this statement. The technology going into today's digital trolling motors is more advanced than the old step speed trolling motors. In fact, the step speed motors of today (still more advanced in the speed coil design than the OMCs) are considered as the entry level of both MinnKota and Motorguide. Both MinnKota and Motorguide are able to get more thrust out of a trolling motor that is about the same physical size as the old OMC. I'm talking comparing an Edge or X3 40# (which the biggest OMC was around 55# and took 24V to get that). Todays 55# motors are 12V, not 24V. This doesn't even start to talk about GPS functions, electric steer functions, 36V functions, the mounts, etc.
    John
    I very much respect your opinion on this board and perhaps my comment about technology is incorrect. A better statement would have been in regards to quality and dependability. And in regards to that, I respectfully strongly maintain that there are FAR more issues with today's trolling motors than before! The technology may actually be the reason for that.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GOFISH$ View Post
    I very much respect your opinion on this board and perhaps my comment about technology is incorrect. A better statement would have been in regards to quality and dependability. And in regards to that, I respectfully strongly maintain that there are FAR more issues with today's trolling motors than before! The technology may actually be the reason for that.
    I can agree with that statement. The more whistles and bells you put on something, the more apt for that to go bad. The 5 speeds are old school and you don't see the increase of problems with them that you do with the digitals. However, with that technology (step speed) you don't get longer battery life or variable speed.
    John
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

20. Member
    I can agree with that statement. The more whistles and bells you put on something, the more apt for that to go bad. The 5 speeds are old school and you don't see the increase of problems with them that you do with the digitals. However, with that technology (step speed) you don't get longer battery life or variable speed.
    John
    agreed. glad we on the same page as I appreciate what you bring to the forums!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast