Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    I could not really be bothered reading the complete 17 pages of stuff on THT by people that probably have never even used a G2. On FACT I saw when quickly skimming the post was the fuel burn numbers-at the correct recommended WOT RPM, that both engines were propped for, the F200 burn was 20GPH while the 150HP burned just ove r12GPH and as the test clearly shows also had better torque. What did you find so telling?

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    Go back to the link in post #1. The boating editor didn't select the boat for his test. He said he tested the same boat that Evinrude used to make their advertisement.

I don't have to explain 2-stroke displacement vs. 4-stroke displacement to you, but I do for many others.
    It's a given that a 4-stroke has to run considerably more displacement to put out the same torque and horsepower as a 2-stroke.
    I just re watched this video and the test captain never mentioned it was the same boat as BRP used. He says he contacted BRP and they allowed him to do his own test-no mention if the same boat but yes it does look to be the same boat, not sure what sort of unfair advantage this would bring to the table though for either brand. I did see when it was a fair 200HP vs 200HP test the E 200HP Small Block G2 was even more impressive than I would have thought-turning a 21 inch Rebel-a big blade prop that is hard to turn, it got better acceleration and a fair bit quicker than the G2 150HP-which is, as I am sure you are aware, the same engine basically.

PS-The BRP test boat at the Club release(and their advertising) of the SB G2 last year was a Scout boat so this engine test done by the independent tester does not seem to be the same boat.
    Last edited by Huey; 04-28-2017 at 05:34 PM.

First of all I am far from a hater. I was an Evinrude fan for decades until OMC Ficht'd themselves and their customers. They have been playing catch up ever since. I have been watching the G2 since it came out...

I watched the video and one important factor that has not been discussed is the gear ratio. The lower the gear ratio the better the hole shot and acceleration on the same hull with the same prop. The G2 in both those videos has a much lower gar ratio and therefore will have a quicker hole shot.

For example, if you have the same boat and 150 motor but one has 2.0 gear case and the other has a 1.87 gear case and put the same 25P prop on each you will get tremendously different performance! The 2.0 gear case will get on plane faster and will be faster to max speed. The 1.87 will struggle to get on plane but if it does, it will be faster. You need to match the prop to the gear ratio not just use the same prop!
    Last edited by 06 SB; 04-28-2017 at 04:25 PM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    Of course gear ratio comes into play but a test like this can only be done on what is available to buy by the end user. You can not walk into a Yamaha dealership and say I what that I-4 F200 with a different ratio-it is what it is and I doubt the Y would have the torque to not only turn such a ratio but the gearcase size is a fair bit larger with a G2 150HP. They did try different pitch props with the Y to try and help it perform better and as i have said before yes lets say they put a very small pitch prop on that Y, it would of most likely got it out of the hole, but as he said in the video then it would be over revving. As been said before both engines had props on them, that with the gear ratio made available they both got to good WOT RPM when both running-so both engines were propped correctly. Only in the one test did they sue the same pitch prop-the second one I think. The 200HP vs 200HP test was a 21 inch Rebel vs the 19 inch Reliance-that also had both engines turning correct RPM.
    Last edited by Huey; 04-28-2017 at 05:12 PM.

5. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    The main point--and this is the point seemingly missed by the naysayers to this test--is that the G2 is consistently faster/stronger than the Yamaha. As the saying goes, if my aunt had ****, she'd be my uncle. And if the Yamaha wasn't a 4 stroke, or had a different gear ratio, or they'd tested on boats better suited to the Yamaha power curve, etc.... I have nothing against Yamaha, because they are fine engines, but if they are so sensitive that only in very specific situations will they perform competitively? Hmmmm.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

6. Member
    Well said Sir, such a test can only test what is available and I agree Y are fine engines just like pretty much all engines today but the G2, in my opinion, is a level up and not to even mention things like in built power steering (once one has used this system not sure you would not want to go back to an outboard without it) I-trim, gear lube monitor bottle, clean rigging, power trim lives out of the water when moored, digital shifting and throttle even down to the 150HP class, RPM tune feature, foot to hand at a press of a button, customization and everything that comes to the table with the G2. Then you throw in fuel usage, emissions and value propostion-and yes I know XD-100 oil blah blah, but what one spends yearly on XD-100 is about line ball with sump oil/filter.

My point was that they try to say "look every thing is the same, even the prop" when comparing the motor's capapbility. If they would have propped both for best performance, THEN test them things would be more apples to apples.

I'm not a hater either. I think the G2 is an awesome motor. What I hate is crappy, unfair comparisons!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post

If they would have propped both for best performance, THEN test them things would be more apples to apples.

. What I hate is crappy, unfair comparisons!

The motors were propped for best performance, what makes you think they weren't?

Both motors have a 5000 to 6000 rpm operating range, both motors develop rated horsepower at 5500 rpm, and both were propped in the 5650 rpm area. If you went to the next size prop down on the Yamaha it would have exceeded the factory recommended redline rpm.

Not only that but the Yamaha factory boat test report determined that the F200 performed best on that boat with 19" Reliance props, same as used in the video.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

9. Member
    They did prop them for best performance and even tried different props-only in one run did they use the same pitch props. The only apples to apples test was the 200HP vs 200HP test and in that the G2 used a higher pitch prop (still both engines propped correctly and turning correct WOT RPM) which as i am sure you know makes it harder for a single engine on a twin rig to get the hull out of the hole. All the other tests we in favor of the Y due to comparing a 150HP to a 200HP.

Good discussions and I sure hope this third party does some more tests like this one and for all the 4-Stroke fans do a test with a 4-Stroke vs a 4-Stroke-then let the fun begin again.

10. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAHORSE View Post
    The motors were propped for best performance, what makes you think they weren't?

Both motors have a 5000 to 6000 rpm operating range, both motors develop rated horsepower at 5500 rpm, and both were propped in the 5650 rpm area. If you went to the next size prop down on the Yamaha it would have exceeded the factory recommended redline rpm.

Not only that but the Yamaha factory boat test report determined that the F200 performed best on that boat with 19" Reliance props, same as used in the video.
    Case closed.

11. Banned
    They propped the boat for a twin engine set up, and then ran just one engine. No, just no.
    The G2 is the better engine of the two, the Yamaha decision to use such a small displacement 4-stroke powerhead for a 200hp engine is enough to keep me from buying an F200..
    But at the end of the day, Evinrude chose a no-lose combo for the advertising video. Well done, in the fact that it got people's attention, but poorly done, as it started discussions on how scripted the outcome was. Strap both engines on the back of identical bass boats. The G2 will definitely win the drag race, without using convoluted stunts to do it.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Case closed.
    Case not closed, and you know it.
    You prop a boat for the boat and the load; What you quoted is like saying you prop a motor with the same prop, regardless if the boat is an Allison bass boat, or a 5000lb inshore boat.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Huey View Post
    I just re watched this video and the test captain never mentioned it was the same boat as BRP used.
    As posted earlier, read post #1 in the link. He clearly posts that he used the same boat.

14. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    They propped the boat for a twin engine set up, and then ran just one engine. No, just no.
    The G2 is the better engine of the two, the Yamaha decision to use such a small displacement 4-stroke powerhead for a 200hp engine is enough to keep me from buying an F200..
    But at the end of the day, Evinrude chose a no-lose combo for the advertising video. Well done, in the fact that it got people's attention, but poorly done, as it started discussions on how scripted the outcome was. Strap both engines on the back of identical bass boats. The G2 will definitely win the drag race, without using convoluted stunts to do it.
    OK why don't YOU! conduct a test and convey your vast knowledge of internal combustion engine outboard motors, whether it is two or four stroke to any of the engine manufacturers and tell them that you want to conduct a test to your standards. And you pick your hull? How's that??

15. Banned
    The "recommended" prop was the right prop for that boat, when running twin engines. Were they running two engines? No. They were running a single.
    If a single engine could get that boat up to 50mph/5500rpm's, then the prop choice would have been right. Obviously it was not the right prop choice, not for either engine if running it as a single. There was no chance of either engine turning 5500-6000RPM's as a single on that boat, not without horrendous prop slip. So no, it's not the right prop choice.
    You knew that already.

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    OK why don't YOU! conduct a test and convey your vast knowledge of internal combustion engine outboard motors, whether it is two or four stroke to any of the engine manufacturers and tell them that you want to conduct a test to your standards. And you pick your hull? How's that??
    Evinrude won't ship me engines, like they did for the tester.
    What interests most people is real world testing.

17. Member
    Reading the 1st post I see what you say but as I mentioned the test boat BRP had at the Club launch for the SB G2 used a Scout boat so I or you can not control what others say. I still do not see if in fact it was the exact same boat that BRP have used in the past why it favors one over the other-they are pushing the same hull thru the water on the same day under the same weather conditions. I still also do not understand where you are coming from-the engines were propped for the load and the boat used in the test-that was confirmed because both engines, when both were running, got to where they need to be according to the people who build the engines.

PS- just rewatched the video once again and it does seem to the be the same boat just with no boat manufacturers decals on it anymore-compared to the below picture.

Last edited by Huey; 04-28-2017 at 07:36 PM.

18. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Beating the same horse here, I know, but still. Am I the only one extremely pleasantly surprised to see that a single 150 h.p. engine can plane that big tub of a boat? If I had such a boat with twin F200 Yammies, I'd be a little concerned that 1 engine failing would leave me basically idling back from offshore. Never have to worry with G2 power, though.... Just saying.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

19. Member
    The E tech pushed it and the Yamaha didnt! And i run a yamaha!!! Will look at E tecs in the future!

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    Beating the same horse here, I know, but still. Am I the only one extremely pleasantly surprised to see that a single 150 h.p. engine can plane that big tub of a boat? If I had such a boat with twin F200 Yammies, I'd be a little concerned that 1 engine failing would leave me basically idling back from offshore. Never have to worry with G2 power, though.... Just saying.
    That's exactly what happens.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast